Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So I don't have too much experience with streaming apps and live TV apps.
I have usually always just used the local cable service for the last 5 years.
Funny story I actually got an Apple TV but wound up selling it because I did not see the benefit in it at the time.
I have tried the fire sticks, Hulu I think briefly and I watched a couple things on Netflix although I don't have my own subscription.

I do know things like Roku and the Fire Sticks and ATV allow streaming of these services if you don't already own a smart TV.

So I have picked up a smart tv and I do not need an external box but I am want to utilize mainly one streaming platform service and would like recommendations for a service without live TV and for a service with Live TV..?

i might imac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2017
NYS

As the previous poster stated, you'd better have good high speed internet.
I'm in the Catskills and we have TWC for our internet, they are pretty good.
I don't get a lot of buffering but it does occur occasionally, not enough to be an issue.

We got rid of cable TV and recently went to HULU streaming on a ROKU device.
It took a little getting used to but we both like it now and we're saving SOME money, not a whole lot, about $50 a month.

If you go with ROKU device be sure not to get the cheapest one as I did originally. if you pay an extra $10 you'll get a remote that turns on and off and control the volume of your TV, there cheapest device don't do this so you need two remotes, no good in my book.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
As the previous poster stated, you'd better have good high speed internet.
I'm in the Catskills and we have TWC for our internet, they are pretty good.
I don't get a lot of buffering but it does occur occasionally, not enough to be an issue.

We got rid of cable TV and recently went to HULU streaming on a ROKU device.
It took a little getting used to but we both like it now and we're saving SOME money, not a whole lot, about $50 a month.

If you go with ROKU device be sure not to get the cheapest one as I did originally. if you pay an extra $10 you'll get a remote that turns on and off and control the volume of your TV, there cheapest device don't do this so you need two remotes, no good in my book.

I have Hulu free through sprint and I have a tv with roku built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.