Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleshopify

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
I am aware that iPad Pro 11 from 2018 to 2021 all share the same exterior design. In other words, cases and screen protector works for all of those models. I have many iPad Pro 11-inch accessories, but unfortunately, I returned the iPad due to hardware issues. With all the accessories for the iPad but no iPad itself. Now I am debating whether to repurchase the iPad Pro 11-inch 2021 (M1) or wait for September's release of the brand new iPad Pro (2022). However, I am not sure if the new iPad Pro will also keep the same design such that accessories for the 2021 model would still be compatible.

For example, I heard that the iPad Pro might be getting a notch on its screen and also added wireless charging. Therefore, I am not sure if my current accessories (cases + screen protector) would still be compatible.

Any suggestions?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I think there is a pretty good chance of a similar design, but not so sure about enough for 2021 accessories depending on the accessory. Even with getting a notch unless the tablet grows in size but retains the same screen size idk how they can still call it a 11" ipad which would also affect their own magic keyboard.

The biggest thing to me that would case a case not to fit anymore would be the camera layout/size. Even with an addition of wireless charging I can't see it really being effective for the iPad especially a pro model. That would be a lot of juice needed to charge it and at current Apple wireless charging rates... completely not worth it now something like Magsafe charging I could get behind.

appleshopify

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
I think there is a pretty good chance of a similar design, but not so sure about enough for 2021 accessories depending on the accessory. Even with getting a notch unless the tablet grows in size but retains the same screen size idk how they can still call it a 11" ipad which would also affect their own magic keyboard.

The biggest thing to me that would case a case not to fit anymore would be the camera layout/size. Even with an addition of wireless charging I can't see it really being effective for the iPad especially a pro model. That would be a lot of juice needed to charge it and at current Apple wireless charging rates... completely not worth it now something like Magsafe charging I could get behind.
Yes, I'd be cool to give up wireless charging to save up on getting a new case. But you're right about the camera. TomsGuide.com stated that the new iPad Pro would feature iPhone 13-like camera setup, which may potentially mean an increase in the camera module. If the new iPad gets thinner bezels, I don't think a 2021 screen protector would make any difference (Unless the aspect ratio changes).

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I would think it would have the same design overall, but you never know if the exact dimensions will be the same. For example, the 2021 12.9" iPad Pro only increased in thickness by 1mm and was "not compatible" with the Magic Keyboard that came out for the 2020 models.

Also, I don't think we'll be seeing new iPads in September. September is usually just new iPhones. New iPads will probably be in October/November or later. So if you need an iPad now, get the 2021 model. Otherwise, wait until the 2022/2023 iPad Pros are announced. If it won't be compatible with your accessories, then get the 2021 model. Some retailers may even be selling them at a discount.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I just wish there was some solid rumors on if there is a new magic keyboard coming that will work for the 11 M1..lol

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For example, I heard that the iPad Pro might be getting a notch on its screen and also added wireless charging. Therefore, I am not sure if my current accessories (cases + screen protector) would still be compatible.

Any suggestions?
Well, I would wager your current accessories won’t fit the 2022 11 inch iPad Pro.

The design has been practically the same for three straight generation as you noted and I think there will be a slight modification due to the rumored wireless charging capabilities along with a possible change in the way the camera module will look in the back.

But never seen rumors of a notch on a screen (don’t think that would be a good idea).. but in a month or so we might get prototypes to get sense of what the 11 inch iPad Pro will look like.

v1ctorS

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2022
There are persistent rumors about the 2022 iPad Pro using two 4-Pin connectors to interface with accessories such as the Magic Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.