Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
On the phone w/ AppleCare right now. After visiting the Apple store and showed them the attached photo, the Apple store employee told me the program is for 4 years from the date the MBP was first sold by Apple. Meaning my 2017 MBP would be eligible for the replacement program from June 5th, 2017 till June 5th, 2021.

However, as I mentioned I'm on the phone with AppleCare and they are saying it's from the date of my purchase, so March 12, 2023.

The concern is those 2 years between June 5th, 2021 and March 12, 2023 if something does go wrong w/ my keyboard and Apple says I'm not eligible. I only got my MBP over a month ago but it 've been babying this new MBP so as to prevent any dust to get near the keyboard. This is the first time in owning a MacBook since 2005, for over 14 years, that I'm proactively not eating any food while using my MBP, for fear of even a bread crumb falling in.

And for people thinking I'm overreacting, it's obvious that Apple is not admitting that is an issue bigger than it really is, so I feel it may be only a matter of time until his happens. Im hoping it doesn't but I want to be prepared.
[doublepost=1555538214][/doublepost]I GOT A CLEAR ANSWER FROM APPLE:

Keyboard replacement warranty program extends from initial release of product, so June 5th, 2021 for the 2017 MBP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 2.39.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 2.39.58 PM.png
    658.4 KB · Views: 183

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Wait. Sorry to rehash this topic again but has a consensus been agreed upon regarding if the replacement program is (for example with my 17’ MBP-non touchbar) for 4 years from the date it was released by Apple OR 4 years from my personal purchase date?

I purchased it on March 12th, 2019.

Pretty sure it is the original new purchase date. If it is resold and Apple can find the serial number of the original date then the next owner should be covered if bought within that time. They won't get four years, but what is left from the first purchase.
[doublepost=1555538928][/doublepost]
On the phone w/ AppleCare right now. After visiting the Apple store and showed them the attached photo, the Apple store employee told me the program is for 4 years from the date the MBP was first sold by Apple. Meaning my 2017 MBP would be eligible for the replacement program from June 5th, 2017 till June 5th, 2021.

However, as I mentioned I'm on the phone with AppleCare and they are saying it's from the date of my purchase, so March 12, 2023.

The concern is those 2 years between June 5th, 2021 and March 12, 2023 if something does go wrong w/ my keyboard and Apple says I'm not eligible. I only got my MBP over a month ago but it 've been babying this new MBP so as to prevent any dust to get near the keyboard. This is the first time in owning a MacBook since 2005, for over 14 years, that I'm proactively not eating any food while using my MBP, for fear of even a bread crumb falling in.

And for people thinking I'm overreacting, it's obvious that Apple is not admitting that is an issue bigger than it really is, so I feel it may be only a matter of time until his happens. Im hoping it doesn't but I want to be prepared.
[doublepost=1555538214][/doublepost]I GOT A CLEAR ANSWER FROM APPLE:

Keyboard replacement warranty program extends from initial release of product, so June 5th, 2021 for the 2017 MBP.

Well that is really low of Apple to do it that way.

Reactions: maflynn

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I GOT A CLEAR ANSWER FROM APPLE:

I think you are misreading this statement.

The item you circled says "first retail sale of the unit". The "unit" is the one with your serial number, not the start of sale of the product line. Read up above when it takes about backing up your "unit" before you send it in. That statement is obviously talking about you backing YOUR system, not all of the millions of year model "units" manufactured and sold.

Reactions: LogicalApex

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

The item you circled says "first retail sale of the unit". The "unit" is the one with your serial number, not the start of sale of the product line. Read up above when it takes about backing up your "unit" before you send it in. That statement is obviously talking about you backing YOUR system, not all of the millions of year model "units" manufactured and sold.

That’s what I thought as well but the Apple care rep told me on the phone that she asked both of her supervisors and they too thought it meant what you stated but I was on hold for 20 minutes until their senior advisor came in and then declared that the keyboard replacement program is for 4 years from the original unit sale date which for my 2017 MBP was WWDC June 5th 2017. He stated that is the official answer, though some Apple Stores may consider fixing the keyboard past 6/5/21 for free but that’s on a case by case basis.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Exactly this! The wording here is to say that Apple will offer this extended warranty from the original purchase date, but not from re-sale purchase dates. Meaning that if I purchase an eligible device on 1/1/2019 and sell it to someone else they have coverage starting from 1/1/2019 not from today or (or whatever day I sell it used). Otherwise, Apple would have an indefinite repair program on its hands.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Question: I just got a 2017 13" MBP w/o bar to replace my 2017 12" MB. These both have the same 2nd-Gen butterfly keyboard, correct? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.