Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quraishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hello all,

Ill keep it short to save your valuable time.

I will be soon launching a social app, currently under development.

Would be great if you can help me with important factors in launching the app, things that will make people use and get addicted to the app.

Especially, how can initial reach and usage be optimized.

Would be of great help to me, I am open to ideas.

Kind Regards,
Quraishi

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
What are the key success factors in launching a social app

I find a lot of apps that integrate well with Facebook and Twitter very appealing. Like ones that allow you to update many statuses in one go. Not sure if your app has the ability to work with other social apps but that is fairly appealing and I think that is what can be addictive bringing ppl back to the app if designed well too.

Quraishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I find a lot of apps that integrate well with Facebook and Twitter very appealing. Like ones that allow you to update many statuses in one go. Not sure if your app has the ability to work with other social apps but that is fairly appealing and I think that is what can be addictive bringing ppl back to the app if designed well too.

Thank u for ur advice, my app does has Facebook integration, I will look into twitter integration.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I will be soon launching a social app, currently under development.

Would be great if you can help me with important factors in launching the app, things that will make people use and get addicted to the app.

If these factors currently exist and are known, they will change by the time you release your app. If you get lucky and your app takes off in usage, then the factors will be whatever it is that you did that was sufficiently different from all the other social apps released in the same time frame.

Test your app, keep changing it and testing it, and don't bother releasing it until it does something during testing that unexpectedly really surprises you.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You might want to start by defining the goals for this app. Some social apps have a very limited group that would be interested in them, others want to be the next FB.

The reason for this is that for social apps, they follow the "demand-creates-demand" business model. That means that people will go there only if there is a certain number of other people that go there. This is less true in very specific targets where they would expect a small group.

If you must get a large number of people on your app to have it work, then you'll have to invest in something that gets them there and keeps them there.

I signed up for a social membership because of a great deal they were offering, it was a $20 Amazon card for $10. They sold out quick, but lost a lot of the members because the offers after that weren't very good or mainstream interests.

They invested millions getting people to sign up and it didn't work great.

There are many many apps/sites trying to get people to sign up, but people don't bite unless there is a compelling reason. You have to determine how many people you need, the more you need, the better the offering has to be.

If the app is for a smaller select group and there aren't other apps for this, they you have an advantage. If it's more general, you'll have to offer something great in order to get people to have an interest in it.

Consider the web itself, most people visit a small number of pages, maybe 30, yet there are millions of pages out there trying to get attention.

Point: if is a special interest group that you are targeting, you can make a good app and win ... If it's a broad general interest group, you'll have to offer something awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.