Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xuaantung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2023
I've been using my MacBook Pro near a window, and a significant portion of it is exposed to direct sunlight. I haven't had the chance to research how prolonged exposure might affect the color of the aluminum casing. Can someone provide information on how the color of aluminum is impacted over the long term in such conditions?
I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice, particularly related to the chemical aspects

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
I don't think, there will be any problem. Sunlight changes over time just bright colors of plastic parts. So - non. Maybe the Cables; but it takes a lot of time...

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
The silver model is fine, won't change color at all, ever.
Space Grey will get discoloration very easy.
Where do you get that from?

Never seen or heard of a space grey product problem in the last 10 years

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
The silver model is fine, won't change color at all, ever.
Space Grey will get discoloration very easy.

Been nearly 2 years on mine – daily usage, don't see any discolour anywhere. I don't know where are you getting that.

Reactions: Queen6

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Been nearly 2 years on mine – daily usage, don't see any discolour anywhere. I don't know where are you getting that.
I’ve seen many Space Grey MacBooks with discolouration issues.

From palm rest area which is very common, to discolouration from stickers and skins after removal.

If you would google or search the forums here, you would plenty examples with photos.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Queen6

macrumors G4
Sunlight's a terrible thing...LOL
Golden Ring.jpg

Q-6

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I’ve seen many Space Grey MacBooks with discolouration issues.

From palm rest area which is very common, to discolouration from stickers and skins after removal.

If you would google or search the forums here, you would plenty examples with photos.

I've used space grey on MBPs exclusively since it became available, at least a half dozen MBPs. Had discoloration of the palm rests on all except my M1 Pros... so at least in my experience, I surmise Apple did something to address the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.