Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just curious what people think the odds are we will get a camera on the iPad pro like the one on the 10th GEN iPad?

Possibly going back to a pro because I need a cellular device anyway and I miss Face ID, but I would wait for the camera position to be changed if it was likely to come out in the next four or five months.

Thoughts?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just curious what people think the odds are we will get a camera on the iPad pro like the one on the 10th GEN iPad?

Possibly going back to a pro because I need a cellular device anyway and I miss Face ID, but I would wait for the camera position to be changed if it was likely to come out in the next four or five months.

Thoughts?
I think the next iPP will have a landscape camera. There will also be a new Pencil with split magnets on either side of the camera.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
That would make more sense for an iPad having the camera on the side. Unlike an iPhone, iPads are most used in landscape. I could totally see apple doing this.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Very likely. Many people do not use the iPad as SJ demonstrated more than a decade ago. Please, USB-C ports on each short side.

Reactions: boston04and07

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
With the iPad 10 getting it last year, I’d be very surprised if Apple doesn’t include it in the next Pro

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Very likely. Many people do not use the iPad as SJ demonstrated more than a decade ago. Please, USB-C ports on each short side.
Yes, this! And I’d love it if they could position the ports lower on the sides when the iPad is in landscape mode. I don’t love having wires sticking out of the middle of the device. Although idk if that would interfere with the speakers…

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, this! And I’d love it if they could position the ports lower on the sides when the iPad is in landscape mode. I don’t love having wires sticking out of the middle of the device. Although idk if that would interfere with the speakers…
I think the port will always be centered, for the speaker reason you mentioned, but if they updated the Smart Connector then the Magic Keyboard's port could be Thunderbolt to match the built in port. Hopefully they would do this by adding pins, but not moving/changing the existing 3 pins, so you could keep using your existing MK if you wanted to, assuming the sizes didn't change.

Of course it would be nice if the next MK allowed the iPad to rotate for portrait orientation.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I think the port will always be centered, for the speaker reason you mentioned, but if they updated the Smart Connector then the Magic Keyboard's port could be Thunderbolt to match the built in port. Hopefully they would do this by adding pins, but not moving/changing the existing 3 pins, so you could keep using your existing MK if you wanted to, assuming the sizes didn't change.

Of course it would be nice if the next MK allowed the iPad to rotate for portrait orientation.
Yeah, having the Magic Keyboard’s port be a true thunderbolt port would be awesome for docking to a display. It’d be nice to just stick it to a Magic Keyboard that’s already connected to a display without having to manually plug anything in. And it would eliminate the issue of the thunderbolt cable sticking out of the side of the iPad, that bugs me.

Rotation while connected to the keyboard is something I never thought of but that sounds awesome! It’d be really nice for reading PDFs and typing word documents.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, having the Magic Keyboard’s port be a true thunderbolt port would be awesome for docking to a display. It’d be nice to just stick it to a Magic Keyboard that’s already connected to a display without having to manually plug anything in. And it would eliminate the issue of the thunderbolt cable sticking out of the side of the iPad, that bugs me.

Rotation while connected to the keyboard is something I never thought of but that sounds awesome! It’d be really nice for reading PDFs and typing word documents.
They could do it by either rotating part of the magic keyboard or arranging the magnets so you could attach it in either orientation. Of course if they did that then the MK‘s base would need to be even heavier because a portrait iPad Pro raised center of gravity is even more top heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.