Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I've used Intel X540 based cards (with SmallTree drivers) and AQC107 based cards. In my experience, the Intel X540 based cards are a bit faster but also run A LOT hotter even when idle. I would say that the AQC107 were about 100Mb/s slower than the X540. It's not not a big deal for my personal use. It's still plenty fast.

One issue I had when I used the X540 cards was that it caused me to randomly lose AirDrop. This was important to me because I use AirDrop quite frequently.

Agreed. I run X540s in my cMPs and they run super hot at idle. They even have a ‘caution hot’ marking on the heat sink. Performance is excellent however, and noticeably better than the Aquantia based 10GbE card in my Mac mini 2018.

Stability is my number one priority; running hot in and of itself isn't a concern for me so long as it's within its specified operating temperatures, but if it leads to the card shutting down more often than not as stated by one reviewer under "normal" usage and conditions, then it's off my list.

After stability, it's then price, and finally performance.

Is the Intel X520-DA2 an SFP+ card? I've been searching but can't seem to find a 10GBase-T version. SFP+ adds additional expense due to the transceiver modules and cables or adapters. What's also of concern is your experience having to switch to Cat7 to realize full speed. My whole house network is Cat5e that I pulled myself. Now, I could replace the lines going to rooms that will service 10GBe clients, but would prefer not to have to do that (I've since overlaid a plywood subfloor in the attic to facilitate storage so it would be a lot of work to move junk out of the way and unscrew the subfloors off to get access to the long wire runs).

Which then leads me to debating if the AQC107's are speed sensitive to the cables; if they are already inherently slower than the Intel's, but aren't sensitive to Cat5e vs Cat6 vs Cat7 wiring, it may very well be the best overall option for me. I just want to avoid any reliability issues as suggested by an iMac Pro user I posted about earlier...

Reactions: dabotsonline

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Stability is my number one priority; running hot in and of itself isn't a concern for me so long as it's within its specified operating temperatures, but if it leads to the card shutting down more often than not as stated by one reviewer under "normal" usage and conditions, then it's off my list.

After stability, it's then price, and finally performance.

Is the Intel X520-DA2 an SFP+ card? I've been searching but can't seem to find a 10GBase-T version. SFP+ adds additional expense due to the transceiver modules and cables or adapters. What's also of concern is your experience having to switch to Cat7 to realize full speed. My whole house network is Cat5e that I pulled myself. Now, I could replace the lines going to rooms that will service 10GBe clients, but would prefer not to have to do that (I've since overlaid a plywood subfloor in the attic to facilitate storage so it would be a lot of work to move junk out of the way and unscrew the subfloors off to get access to the long wire runs).

Which then leads me to debating if the AQC107's are speed sensitive to the cables; if they are already inherently slower than the Intel's, but aren't sensitive to Cat5e vs Cat6 vs Cat7 wiring, it may very well be the best overall option for me. I just want to avoid any reliability issues as suggested by an iMac Pro user I posted about earlier...

I run very short Cat6 and never had problems with either the Intel or AQC107 cards negotiating 10GbE.

Personally, I feel that the AQC107 is the best choice. (1) They run cooler. (2) They use native macOS drivers. The Syba was very much plug-n-play.

tanoanian

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
I recently added the Sonnet Twin10g, 10GBASE-T to my 2013 Mac Pro. Are my transfer speeds in line with what others are seeing? Thanks
56939014816__2BDC7BCB-40BB-400D-A450-ABA8C2BF2129.JPG

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Synology DS1618+ with 10Gb connection, Seagate Ironwolf Pro Drives
Speeds seem about right then. Not sure you’d get better performance from a 6 disk array of spinning disks.
PCIe SSD to PCIe SSD would likely see 900MB/s+ r/w.

ydeng

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2017
Here’s another option...
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nics-to-use-small-tree-macos-drivers.1968456/
[doublepost=1548925035][/doublepost]
Agreed. I run X540s in my cMPs and they run super hot at idle. They even have a ‘caution hot’ marking on the heat sink. Performance is excellent however, and noticeably better than the Aquantia based 10GbE card in my Mac mini 2018.

What does iperf -s show on Mac mini 2018? I can only get 5g/s on Asrock onboard AQC107.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
One thing I like about the sonnet cards is they need no drivers. This is a big deal to me as anytime drivers are involved, things tend to go to crap for me.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html

Right now they have 4 different cards, but I'm not sure which is the "best" and what the differences are (with obvious differences in port types and number of ports).

Solo10G™ PCIe Card
That card seems to let you use old cat5e up to 5gbps which is cool, and not sure this dual port version of the card lets you.
Presto™ 10GbE 10GBASE-T

As for the SFP+ cards, only difference I think I see is that the single is a 4x single port card:
Solo10G™ SFP+ PCIe Card
And the dual port card is x8 and has 2 ports:
Presto 10GbE SFP+

All things being equal, the flexibility of the solo10G being backwards compatible with 5e cabling that you can bring up to 5gbps seems to be a cool option when you have some legacy cabling that you might not be able to easily replace.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
One thing I like about the sonnet cards is they need no drivers. This is a big deal to me as anytime drivers are involved, things tend to go to crap for me.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html

Right now they have 4 different cards, but I'm not sure which is the "best" and what the differences are (with obvious differences in port types and number of ports).

Solo10G™ PCIe Card
That card seems to let you use old cat5e up to 5gbps which is cool, and not sure this dual port version of the card lets you.
Presto™ 10GbE 10GBASE-T

As for the SFP+ cards, only difference I think I see is that the single is a 4x single port card:
Solo10G™ SFP+ PCIe Card
And the dual port card is x8 and has 2 ports:
Presto 10GbE SFP+

All things being equal, the flexibility of the solo10G being backwards compatible with 5e cabling that you can bring up to 5gbps seems to be a cool option when you have some legacy cabling that you might not be able to easily replace.
upload_2019-7-31_16-0-57.png

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
Not to be that guy... our home network is moving to 40GbE. Cos why not

Seriously though, who wouldn't want to get close to 4000MB/s R/W on a centralized SSD Raid. A stretch goal is to do it for under $1000.

Obviously if someone else has gone down path minmaxing their way such blissful transfer speeds, feel free to chime in :)

Was looking at the Melannox cards, but they don't seem to support Mac. Only linux and windows.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Not to be that guy... our home network is moving to 40GbE. Cos why not

Seriously though, who wouldn't want to get close to 4000MB/s R/W on a centralized SSD Raid. A stretch goal is to do it for under $1000.

Obviously if someone else has gone down path minmaxing their way such blissful transfer speeds, feel free to chime in :)

Was looking at the Melannox cards, but they don't seem to support Mac. Only linux and windows.

cat 8 is dirt cheap and supports 40gbe easily. I dropped a bunch of cat 8 in the house and I `also dropped some 100gbe fiber. Both are here today. The switches are still on the pricey side, but the cabling is cheap, relatively. We don’t hear about these speeds, frankLy, because Apple is so lame imo in not pushing any envelopes on hardware anymore...

razorfsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2018
You can add "HP 560SFP+" to the list.... (intel 82559ES)
Just converted a couple for use on a mac pro... 5.1

Seeing about 820MB/s (RD) with synology 1817+

Interestingly, the one i shoved in the synology did not require any changes, but the kernal bitches about the card being throttled due to lack of PCI bandwidth. from the synology side

Attachments

• bobz.jpeg
    bobz.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Reactions: TECK

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Has anyone tried or succeeded in getting the AQC107-based cards to work under macOS 10.12 Sierra? I have a Mac Pro server that I will not move past 10.12.6 because of issues and crippling of macOS Server starting w/ 10.13. I know the AQC107 drivers are built into High Sierra, but I was wondering if anyone had been able to get one of these cards working in (non-High) Sierra.

razorfsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2018
Has anyone tried or succeeded in getting the AQC107-based cards to work under macOS 10.12 Sierra? I have a Mac Pro server that I will not move past 10.12.6 because of issues and crippling of macOS Server starting w/ 10.13. I know the AQC107 drivers are built into High Sierra, but I was wondering if anyone had been able to get one of these cards working in (non-High) Sierra.

see here:

Reactions: zoltm

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
see here:
Thanks. Is there any particular post in that thread you're referring me to? I didn't see mention of using macOS 10.12 Sierra in there, but easily could have missed something...

razorfsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2018
It's like everything else.... you're unlikely to find a direct answer for "apple" kit, so if you look at this type of forum ,you can get a clearer picture of what has been tried to "hack" different MBrd platforms.

If these guys don't have any clean solutions, then it is unlikely that apple hardware will work with it.
Normally I trawl about, & if I see yep it works.. no it's broken, yep its partially fixed..... then give it a miss.
but what you might take away is a clearer understading of what is possible... and the level of commitment that might be required to get it working.

yeti

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Is anyone still using these today in Mojave and/or Catalina?

I am using cards with the Tehuti TN4010 chipset because these cards have macOS drivers (http://www.tehutinetworks.net/?t=drivers&L1=8&L2=12&L3=54), are multi-speed and also support VMWare ESXi (I use many cMPs running ESXi bare metal so I can run many old OS X/macOS versions for support purposes). They can be found at a reasonable price on Amazon. I am currently using this model (sorry, it is in the Spanish Amazon site):

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B077G5PN73/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

overshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've purchased a STLab N-540 from eBay which is a AQC107 chipset.
It shows up like this under LSPCI:
1D6A(vendor ID), D107(Device ID), 1D6A, 0001, Aquantia Corp., AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion]

Under Mojave I am getting 2 drivers to load up but it won't see the cable connected:

- AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
- AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtionFirmware

On TonyMac they're talking about using the Clover Kext patcher to patch the Kext.
Is there anything that can be done on a real Mac to make that card compatible?

I have an EEPROM programmer so if necessary I can flash a firmware directly to the card if there is a detachable EEPROM.

Thanks!

Reactions: zoltm

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've purchased a STLab N-540 from eBay which is a AQC107 chipset.
It shows up like this under LSPCI:
1D6A(vendor ID), D107(Device ID), 1D6A, 0001, Aquantia Corp., AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion]

Under Mojave I am getting 2 drivers to load up but it won't see the cable connected:

- AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
- AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtionFirmware

On TonyMac they're talking about using the Clover Kext patcher to patch the Kext.
Is there anything that can be done on a real Mac to make that card compatible?

I have an EEPROM programmer so if necessary I can flash a firmware directly to the card if there is a detachable EEPROM.

Thanks!

any progress on this? i have the same device and thought they'd be plug and play at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.