Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
What are the real safety/ security risks of staying on an older version of iOS?

I currently have an iPhone 5C on iOS 10 and an iPad 2 on iOS 9. Neither can be upgraded beyond those versions of iOS. I am thinking my family or I will be using these devices in one way or another until they die

What are the real safety / security risks of using these devices going forward?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Nearly 100 Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) were fixed in iOS 11.0 alone. An additional 24 were resolved in iOS 11.1.

If you want to be safe, avoid using your old devices to perform transactions with sensitive personal information.

Reactions: max2

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Nearly 100 Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) were fixed in iOS 11.0 alone. An additional 24 were resolved in iOS 11.1.

If you want to be safe, avoid using your old devices to perform transactions with sensitive personal information.

What types of vulnerabilities? (In common language if possible because I am not familiar with this facet of tech). Would using the Bank of America app or making purchases in Safari be too great of a risk?

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012

Unless you're Edward Snowden chances are you won't be encountering any of the exploits in the wild, not updating is a security risk but it's not as bad as you might think.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

I currently have an iPhone 5C on iOS 10 and an iPad 2 on iOS 9. Neither can be upgraded beyond those versions of iOS. I am thinking my family or I will be using these devices in one way or another until they die

Unless you're a terrorist being looked by the CIA, stay on ios 10

Reactions: max2 and Hal~9000

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wouldn't really worry too much. Many exploits require you being in close proximity to your attacker for bluetooth/wifi, someone have physical access to your device, or that it be jailbroken/that you willingly install an app or profile that iOS gives warnings about. I'm not aware of any that don't fall in one of those categories, though I'm sure they're out there, they just haven't yet been in the mainstream news much if they are.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Security is always a concern with older devices/older apps, but less of an issue if u know exactly what you are doing and always trust reliable sources only, never open messages unless their from family.

As long as you don't start passing/sharing your phone round with every joe blogs you see, and leave the house and not watch over them, i wouldn't worry too much either.

My parents are still on iOS 8.4 (ya,, u read that right)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.