Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
i came across these files while searching my hard drive for hidden files.

i can not stand norton in any way shape or form. i have this program that finds all kinds of hidden files. i came across these four files that are taking up a bunch of space and so nothing that i know of. this program wont let me delete then however like it will other files. my questions are this"

1) do i need these files for anything
2) does anyone know how to delete them? i cant even find them on my hard drive any other way. spotlight doesnt recognize them.

norton fs volume 137 mb
norton fs volume 2 137 mb
norton fs index 4 kb
norton fs data 808 kb

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
mileslong said:
i came across these files while searching my hard drive for hidden files.

i can not stand norton in any way shape or form. i have this program that finds all kinds of hidden files. i came across these four files that are taking up a bunch of space and so nothing that i know of. this program wont let me delete then however like it will other files. my questions are this"

1) do i need these files for anything
2) does anyone know how to delete them? i cant even find them on my hard drive any other way. spotlight doesnt recognize them.

norton fs volume 137 mb
norton fs volume 2 137 mb
norton fs index 4 kb
norton fs data 808 kb
If you have install something by norton, then yes, you probably do need them. If you deleted, or removed what every you installed, then no, you don't need them. You can use the Terminal to delete them usinig the rm (remove) command.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If rm doesn't work (and it might not, if you're not allowed to delete them from Finder), then "sudo rm -f" will definitely work (will require admin password).

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Be very very careful when using sudo and rm.. if you typed it wrong, you could delete any file on accident!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.