Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which devices are you still running iOS 6 on?

• A device that can only run iOS 6 (iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4)

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • An iPhone with a retina display (4, 4S, 5)

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • An iPod Touch 5

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • An iPad 2 or iPad mini

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • An iPad with a retina display

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have multiple devices that could take iOS 8, but I'm keeping them on 6

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Hello,

Just a quick poll, asking people which devices they're still using iOS 6 on.

If you're running iOS 6 on a device that can take iOS 7 or 8, feel free to leave a constructive comment telling us why.

If you're here to say "Upgrade to iOS 8 and stop living in the past, you losers", this thread is not for you.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I got a bit lucky. I was having so many issues with iTunes 11 and iOS 7, specifically items not syncing, iTunes crashing, poor music organization. I had enough and sold my phone and maybe because of a miracle, I managed to find someone that still had a brand new unused factory unlocked iPhone 5 (64GB) with the latest version of iOS 6 (6.1.4). This iPhone 5 was purchased in August 2013 and has applecare until August 2015. Battery life is SO much better than my old iPhone that would die at 30%. This phone has battery life that lasts 1.5 days.
Best of all, I am back to using iTunes 10.7 and things are working so much better.
So much happier, a lot less stressful now. I can't believe DOWNGRADING is offering me such a better experience.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
My iPod touch 4...sadly it can't update but sometimes it's nice to use my iPod touch with iOS 6 as a nice alternative to glitchy ios 8 on my iPhone and ipad

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iPhone 4 - iOS 6.1

My last iPhone in my collection running on iOS 6 :(

Found it today in one of my random iPhone boxes.

Still has a very low charge cycle

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0009.PNG
    IMG_0009.PNG
    942 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IP4Batt2014.jpg
    IP4Batt2014.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Had iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 5 up until a couple weeks ago because my iMessage stopped working for whatever reason along with facetime. iOS 8 is nice but MUCH slower. If it weren't for imessage and facetime I'd still be using it because it ran all the apps I used it for and ran a lot faster.

dbg427

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Newer does not necessarily mean better

iOS 6 is, was, and forever will be on every iOS device I have. I know iOS 7/8 is technically better but, to me, that's like saying that Windoze 8 is technically better than Windoze 7 (and we all know how that turned out).

Also, as Steve knew well, the look of something is just as important as how well it performs and, to me, the look of iOS 7/8 is just plain inferior -- dare I say fugly -- compared to iOS 6. And, I get it: some people (the early adopters, presumably) were ready for a change. i6 was my first iOS, however, and I think that it is classy, and elegant, and beautiful, and yes even functional... and that is good enough for me. Maybe, if Apple ever offers an i6 skin for 7/8+, I will consider upgrading... but not until then.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
- iPhone 3GS (iOS 5, actually)
- iPod touch 4th gen
- iPad mini

I bought my fifth generation iPod touch with the intention of keeping it on iOS 6, but the screen got damaged and the AppleCare replacement came with iOS 7. Ever since then I've kept it up to date, but I really don't like the newer versions of iOS. I'm trying to track down an unopened slate or silver iPod touch so I can have iOS 6 again, but I haven't had any luck.

veronica.m

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Iphone 5 - IOS-6.1

Because battery lasts longer then any of my friend that upgraded.

Phone works fast.

I do not like the new design

And - if it isn't broke, don't fix it! (meaning, other then because Apple said so, why do upgrade?)

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Hello,

If you're running iOS 6 on a device that can take iOS 7 or 8, feel free to leave a constructive comment telling us why.

If you're here to say "Upgrade to iOS 8 and stop living in the past, you losers", this thread is not for you.

On a potato.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
an ipod touch 4th gen which was actually running ios 4 until the home button broke and I needed assistive touch.

link491

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
I have my iphone 4 that up until recently was running ios 7.1.2, but i managed to pull off a successful downgrade with the geekgrade method.

Sure, I could use ios 7, and for about 5 months i was, but even after the aesthetics began to grow on me, the phone still ran extremely slowly and the battery was only like 7 hours at best. With ios 6, I get 10-20 hours, the performance is massively better and if i want to have the ios 7/8 look, theres plenty of themes to choose from.

So, the bottom line is that I'm on ios 6 because it's better optimized for my phone.

ernieH

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
iOS 6.1.3 on both iPhone 4 and iPad (4th gen). Would consider upgrading phone to iphone 6S (if that's what it is called)....will have to wait and see....since there are a few apps I would like that need iOS8. In no rush to move iPad to iOS8.

TokyoKashi2011

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
I got a bit lucky. I was having so many issues with iTunes 11 and iOS 7, specifically items not syncing, iTunes crashing, poor music organization. I had enough and sold my phone and maybe because of a miracle, I managed to find someone that still had a brand new unused factory unlocked iPhone 5 (64GB) with the latest version of iOS 6 (6.1.4). This iPhone 5 was purchased in August 2013 and has applecare until August 2015. Battery life is SO much better than my old iPhone that would die at 30%. This phone has battery life that lasts 1.5 days.
Best of all, I am back to using iTunes 10.7 and things are working so much better.
So much happier, a lot less stressful now. I can't believe DOWNGRADING is offering me such a better experience.

Dude that is good to hear! You can still use iTunes 10.7? :eek:

----------

- iPhone 3GS (iOS 5, actually)
- iPod touch 4th gen
- iPad mini

I bought my fifth generation iPod touch with the intention of keeping it on iOS 6, but the screen got damaged and the AppleCare replacement came with iOS 7. Ever since then I've kept it up to date, but I really don't like the newer versions of iOS. I'm trying to track down an unopened slate or silver iPod touch so I can have iOS 6 again, but I haven't had any luck.

Check eBay, I've found a couple four months ago, but did not have money to purchase one.

----------

Hello,

Seriously! Did you see the ios 7 forum about 2 years ago? They were bashing the ios 6 users like us for not upgrading.

----------

By the way, I have a iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1. I kept it because it was a piece of iOS that Steve pushed out. And I don't like ios 7 and 8 flamboyant colors and girly features. iOS 6 looks professional and classy. Many of my friends will compliment my iphone because of how good it looks. They even admit that upgrading, was a terrible idea, and just was trying to catch up with the jones's. I plan to collect every iOS 6 device, from the 3GS all the way to the iPod Touch 5th Gen. And if you are trying to find these, just look them up on eBay. I bought my iphone 4 from there. The iPhone 4S is next for me though (running ios6 too)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I know it's not iOS 6 but i'm still running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad 3. My reasons are not so much the style and or bugs with iOS 7/8 but becuase of the Youtube app in iOS 5 and the major performance hit I would take by moving up to iOS 8 which I won't do.

I would probably consider moving up to iOS 6 if there was a way but i'm pretty sure that's not possible. Even so I wouldn't want to give up on the iOS 5 Youtube app until Google no longer supports it.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
I know it's not iOS 6 but i'm still running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad 3. My reasons are not so much the style and or bugs with iOS 7/8 but becuase of the Youtube app in iOS 5 and the major performance hit I would take by moving up to iOS 8 which I won't do.

I would probably consider moving up to iOS 6 if there was a way but i'm pretty sure that's not possible. Even so I wouldn't want to give up on the iOS 5 Youtube app until Google no longer supports it.

My mom is still running 5.1.1 on her 4th gen touch. She refuses to update for some unknown reason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.