Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I figure of all places on the internet I’d ask here. Don’t know why but I feel the MR community is the best place for me to ask since I am one of you.

I’ve been wearing jeans for the majority of my life. In fact, I’ve owned the same two pairs of jeans for 7 years now and wear them almost daily, with the occasional dress/work pleated pants to go with my suit. I hate a wearing a suit because it’s so uncomfortable and tight around my waist.

I’m inquiring here wondering the wide variety of preferences y’all may have in hopes of discovering some interesting options.

Not just necessarily jeans and not necessarily work/suit pants. Really am looking to find comfortable great looking overall option to change my wardrobe.

My two pairs of jeans are showing their age and this has happened before back in 2013 and when it did I went to the same store and bought the same two types of jeans again, albeit in different colors/fades.

This time around I want to widen my scope instead of this one store. I would’ve upgraded the jeans last year but with COVID I couldn’t fly out to the other coast just to buy them.

Finally, I’ll add that due to COVID and working from home I’ve been wearing Walmart unbranded cotton pants, some call them loungers or I don’t know but they can be worn as pajamas or suffice to walk the dog around the block. Best most comfy pants I own today; but definitely not appropriate to wear to the office or even run errands as I’m not wanting to walk around town looking like I just woke up and walked out the door.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I don't have a favorite pair of pants, it really depends on my mood and often the climate.

I have jeans ranging from about 8 oz. to 16 oz. fabric weight, the lighter ones for warmer weather, the heavier ones for cooler times.

There's also the fabric. I have some linen pants for summer wear that aren't appropriate for winter. (Same thing for shirts which aren't part of this topic thread.)

Concerning jeans, I have winter jeans, I have summer jeans and I have shoulder season jeans, the latter getting usage about nine months of the year.

I have not changed my clothes because of COVID-19 restrictions regardless of whether or not I step outside my front door.

I do a fair amount of clothes purchasing when I travel abroad. There is no "favorite" store.

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't have a favorite pair of pants, it really depends on my mood and often the climate.

I have jeans ranging from about 8 oz. to 16 oz. fabric weight, the lighter ones for warmer weather, the heavier ones for cooler times.

There's also the fabric. I have some linen pants for summer wear that aren't appropriate for winter. (Same thing for shirts which aren't part of this topic thread.)

Concerning jeans, I have winter jeans, I have summer jeans and I have shoulder season jeans, the latter getting usage about nine months of the year.

I have not changed my clothes because of COVID-19 restrictions regardless of whether or not I step outside my front door.

I do a fair amount of clothes purchasing when I travel abroad.
Thank you for the reply.

When it comes to jeans I only have the two. But for jackets and shirts I too have different materials depending on the weather, although not my concern within this thread.

Since posting this thread less than an hour ago I went to my closet and saw that I specifically have 3 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of shorts (khaki) that I only ever wear around the house, one pair of black swimming trunks, 1 pair of Nike jogging pants that although very thin do provide the most warmth during winter and the Walmart unbranded sweatpants in grey.

I really want to upgrade my wardrobe but before I do I’m the kind of person that needs to see what is available overall before biting the bullet.

Buying clothes online is a no-no for me. Unless I plan to order different sizes, try them upon arrival and ship back what I don’t like. I’ve done that before but just takes so much time.

At the end of the day I think I’m wanting a wardrobe with:

A. 4 pairs of jeans
B. 2 exercise/jogging shorts
C. 2 exercise/jogging pants
D. 2 sweatpants that I wouldn’t mind wearing out
E. 4 dress pants

I know what you mentioned in regards to different thickness of material based on the time of year is important, so I wouldn’t mind divvying the numbers a bit above.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Note that jeans aren't necessarily blue. I have jeans in different colors: different shades of blue, various browns or similar earth tones, a couple of black pairs, and maybe a couple of others in different colors.

I don't count exercise pants in my regular repertoire. Those are situation specific.

While men's and women's fashion interest often differ considerably no one believes that women only think of jeans as blue.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I figure of all places on the internet I’d ask here. Don’t know why but I feel the MR community is the best place for me to ask since I am one of you.

I’ve been wearing jeans for the majority of my life. In fact, I’ve owned the same two pairs of jeans for 7 years now and wear them almost daily, with the occasional dress/work pleated pants to go with my suit. I hate a wearing a suit because it’s so uncomfortable and tight around my waist.

I’m inquiring here wondering the wide variety of preferences y’all may have in hopes of discovering some interesting options.

Not just necessarily jeans and not necessarily work/suit pants. Really am looking to find comfortable great looking overall option to change my wardrobe.

My two pairs of jeans are showing their age and this has happened before back in 2013 and when it did I went to the same store and bought the same two types of jeans again, albeit in different colors/fades.

This time around I want to widen my scope instead of this one store. I would’ve upgraded the jeans last year but with COVID I couldn’t fly out to the other coast just to buy them.

Finally, I’ll add that due to COVID and working from home I’ve been wearing Walmart unbranded cotton pants, some call them loungers or I don’t know but they can be worn as pajamas or suffice to walk the dog around the block. Best most comfy pants I own today; but definitely not appropriate to wear to the office or even run errands as I’m not wanting to walk around town looking like I just woke up and walked out the door.

Do you wear khakis, what we refer to as Chinos?

They can be very comfortable, and come in different colours.

Re jeans, they don't have to be blue; they can be black, charcoal grey, and other other colours.

I think the key is to find a brand that you are comfortable with, where the cut flatter your shape but are still comfortable to wear, and buy them.

Such a cut may - and a brand - be a bit more expensive, but would be well worth it, because you would both look well and feel more comfortable.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In the last three years or so I've really developed a liking for the industrial look, such as what Dickies presents. I usually wear black jeans, black shirts and black boots and have been doing so since around 1996 when I finally found my 'look'. Dickies has only added to that.

Dickies has a style of carpenter pants that are still 'denim' Forget the type of weave, but these jeans are quite tough because they are designed for the industrial trade. But also being Dickies, they don't scream "Levis!". They come in three colors, one of which is black - my color.

086B44_28_P1.jpg

Paired with a button down black Dickies shirt I really like the look.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It’s ridiculous how much better these are than any other pair of pants I’ve ever had.

Reactions: eyoungren

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

In the UK pants means your underwear. For a minute I was worried where this thread was going!

Anyway generally my favourite trousers (or pants if you prefer!) are the ones on top of the pile of clean ones. I'm really not that fussed. I haven't had a pair of blue jeans for decades. I prefer black, brown or green. Same for cargo trousers (the ones with the extra pockets).

The only trousers I can't stand are ones with small pockets. I need to get my iPhone and wallet in one side and keys in the other.

Also I'm not that keen on trousers with holes in the pockets. I have a few of those. But fat chance of getting to the shops anytime soon. I refuse to order clothes online.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Kuhl Free Rebels, black. They fit fantastically, have deep pockets with utility pockets for a knife and my iPhone and excellent mobility. The only bummer was the waist snap was a dud so I had to convert them to button fly. But wait! That wasn’t a bummer because now they are absolutely perfect. For me anyway.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Lululemon joggers that has since been discontinued. I love it so much I got multiples and of the same color for some.

their align pants are very nice too but the joggers are more versatile for dress up or dress down.

runner up is joggers from amour vert. Love the concept, this one is ok, the brought another style and the sewing/construction sucks.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
JCrew 484 Fit Jeans and Chinos. Reasonable price, they hold up, the chinos are available in various weights for different seasons. I probably own 12+ pairs of these.

For athletic purposes I’m partial to lululemon. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head, but they are super comfy.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like denim jeans when it’s cool, and both camo green (color not pattern) cargo shorts and cotton gym shirts around the house when it’s hot.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
I have 2 pairs of jeans. Don’t have any slacks. Never wear them. Lots of sweats and athletic pants.

I wear scrubs to work. Gotta love warring pjs work.

I may have one button down shirt but it’s old. Haven’t worn it since jury duty 2 years ago. Don’t get me started on jury duty.

Definitely a jeans and tshirt guy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have 2 pairs of jeans. Don’t have any slacks. Never wear them. Lots of sweats and athletic pants.

I wear scrubs to work. Gotta love warring pjs work.

I may have one button down shirt but it’s old. Haven’t worn it since jury duty 2 years ago. Don’t get me started on jury duty.

Definitely a jeans and tshirt guy
Nothing wrong with that. I got married in jeans and a T-shirt.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I wear Van Heusen pleated Khakis for work every day. I have 5 colors of them. I can only find them at the "outlet" stores, can't find them on the website. For jeans, I have a couple pair of Nautica jeans that are soft and fit well.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
In the last three years or so I've really developed a liking for the industrial look, such as what Dickies presents
Not pants, but I've worn Dickies Eisenhower jackets year around for a couple of years now. Really good quality and durability, and if you get one lined and another without the lining, you're basically set for winter, summer and everything in between. I might have to try some other items from them as well.

As far as pants go, it's 99% jeans, either dark blue or gray/black. On the hottest summer days, and when working outside in the summer it's cargo shorts because I like to lug around too much stuff and I appreciate the functionality the pockets provide.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not pants, but I've worn Dickies Eisenhower jackets year around for a couple of years now. Really good quality and durability, and if you get one lined and another without the lining, you're basically set for winter, summer and everything in between. I might have to try some other items from them as well.

As far as pants go, it's 99% jeans, either dark blue or gray/black. On the hottest summer days, and when working outside in the summer it's cargo shorts because I like to lug around too much stuff and I appreciate the functionality the pockets provide.
I got this from Walmart's site a few years back. Had to go online because they didn't carry my size in black. I'm seeing them back in the Walmart stores again now, but only in green or gray.

2021-02-01 15.47.25.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.