Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of the following best describes your Apple event viewing habits?

• I don't watch the events, just read the summary after

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I will sometimes watch live depending on my schedule/interest

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I watch the full recording later

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I watch most/all of the events live

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
With another Apple event coming up, I thought it would be fun to do a poll around people's habits for watching Apple events. For me, I used to watch pretty much every event until ~2018 and now I mostly just read the summaries/analysis after, but I'm really curious to hear from other people here!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I watch the events live if I'm not otherwise engaged by work or an appointment. If I miss it I will watch the entire event later. The funny thing is I missed the iPhone 13 event due to I was at an appointment so I started to watch it later but it seemed boring so I didn't finish. I bought an iPhone 13 PM at launch day though so it didn't effect my choice to buy anything.

Reactions: temende

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
As these events are during the workday as I live in CA, no, I rarely watch, much prefer reading the summary, getting all my info and data within a minute or 2 …

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
If possible I watch them live. As for @iDaniel88 it is a good time here in Germany to watch (7 PM).

But I never watch it later. If I am not able to watch live I just read the summary here on Macrumors or on a similar page.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Live, especially before Covid with the live keynotes. It’s fun, although the current prerecorded keynotes are getting duller and duller. To me, Craig is the only last man standing worth watching. Miss the old days of the old Jobs team with Jobs, Schiller, Ive, Forstall, etc. It was just more energetic and fun back then.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
1. Tell me wife about the date.
2. Hear my wife sigh loudly, since she now knows she has to get both of the kids in bed that day.
3. On the announced date, eat dinner with family and try to finish before 7pm, as that is usually when the show starts in my country.
Edit: 3.5. Remind my wife what is going to happen. Repeat point 2.
4. Place my beautiful behind on the couch, with laptop or iPad available close by.
5. Hum to the tune running pre-show on Apple TV+.
6. Reminiscence over how things were much better when Jobs was alive.
7. Conclude that's not really true (Except for iTunes 10, THAT was better than what we have now!)
8. Settle in, watch 2 hours of show while browsing Mac websites to see the tidbits I missed.
9. Spend an hour post-show to continue scouring websites, and reading about people whining that iPhone n+1 doesn't create sparkly coffee from a secret compartment.
10. Listen to my wife say "Isn't it over soon?" and me responding with a "Soon babe, soon...."
11. Usually conclude that it was a fine show.
12. Go to bed.
13. Next day, see whatever new things came up over the night.
14. Rinse and repeat point 1 about 6 months later, or whenever there's a random extra keynote scheduled.

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
6PM start for me which is convenient because I'll just be home from work, so I could watch live, but tbh I couldn't give a toss about the iDevice events. I can't use watches. iPad is an iPad. iPhone is an iPhone. Unlike some competitors, Apple are choosing not to innovate in the mobile phone space: iPhone 14 will be basically a 13 with a spec-bump in the processor speed and camera. Whoopee. Just what I need while scrolling Facebook and WhatsApp.

The only thing I'm remotely interested in is the price and the launch date of the rumoured iPod Pro 2's.
Which I'll still probably ignore and buy some Sony's instead.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So much fluff and filler now that if I watch at all it will be afterwards skipping through to the highlights, or to see a specific product I'm interested in.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Love to watch live and see how they explain things. It's also fun to see which rumors were true.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Since we kinda know what's coming in each event I only watch the ones I'm interested in. I always watch WWDC and iPhone events live whilst keeping the MacRumors thread open. For most other events I wait until the event is done and will only watch parts of the replay if I'm interested in knowing more about something. I will make sure to watch the Reality Pro announcement live because it's such an important event for Apple and the tech industry in general; the marking of a new era (supposedly).

If it weren't for the MacRumors threads I probably wouldn't watch any event live tbh because part of the fun is watching people's reactions in the live thread. Skipping through the fluff via the VOD is a lot more convenient than watching the boring stuff live.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
The events used to line up nicely with my lunch break at work, so I'd always watch them live. The last few years they haven't, so I've watched live when it fits my schedule, or watched/read a summary afterwards.

Today I'm home, so I'll watch it live.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Let’s see, my viewing habits.

Fast forward through the apple fluff (like the Apple Watch letters being read). Count how many times Apple has a preferred group be a presenter. Count how many pictures have minorities/how many times Apple replaces a normal holiday with something obscure. And in general keep track of the woke stuff Apple puts in (people who ovulate).

I miss when it was just Steve, or Steve and Phil presenting. It was a very clean and clear keynote. I really don’t want to be bounced all around the different departments. I like 1 clear voice.

Apples keynotes are world class, but their keynotes are kinda a metaphor for how they appear from the outside; lots of voices with no clear leader among them.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Since Steve Jobs passed the events have all been really lackluster and boring so I usually watch the "Everything Interesting Apple Announced in 10 Seconds" videos that show up on YouTube after the event. And sometimes I feel that 10 seconds is overly generous and they're just padding the video.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This year I watched on the Apple TV app on the big screen tv and loved it. Apple does a world class job, imo.

In fact put in the preorder info into the apple store app for the pro max and will be there hitting the enter key at 4:59am pst.

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I miss when it was just Steve, or Steve and Phil presenting. It was a very clean and clear keynote. I really don’t want to be bounced all around the different departments. I like 1 clear voice.
Same. Not even specific to Apple, I'm not a huge fan of any presentation that switches speakers every 10-15 min.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I watched regularly until 2008, when I moved to the live text updates on MR. I watched this past event and that has led me back to the live text updates. The presentation in and of itself is not that interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.