Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by insidedanshead
honestly.. where would the world be without sarcasm?

and to touch on a few peoples comments about "why need faster machines to check email?" well its all about the numbers.. I don't care how hard apple pushes the MHz myth.. average Joe blow consumer will look at two machines a pc and mac and be like hey for half the price I can get double the Mhz with the PC.. thats it.. unfortunately that's one of the biggest reasons apple needs to bump up mhz.. I don't really care what chip they do it with they just need to do something.

They're also coming out with iCaptainKangarooPro and that's to convert adults while looking at PC's and Mac's.

You will buy a Mac. You will buy a Mac. You will buy a Mac. Mhz is a myth. You will buy a Mac. Bill Gates is the Devil. You will buy a Mac.

SpaceInc

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
Re: The MPC7457...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
...(.13 micron G4+) DOES exist (according to a Motorola roadmap). It has 512k L2 cache and scales to 1.8GHz. When it'll be out is anyone's guess, but I think it has to be soon. I don't remember clearly, but I think it supports a faster bus. There's also the 7457-RM which has RapidIO, but that's not 'till 2004.

...oh yeah; think about it. Apple has double prosessor macs allready for pro users (who the heck is a pro user anyway: anyone wants doubleG4 at home...) and if You just for fun think what would happen if those G4+-what-ever-mucho-prosessors-with-extraordinary-teraflops would be implemented into a pro mac...think about it: double G4 with 2x1,8 Ghz. Fastest Pentium4 that I know is 3.03 GHz...

Anyways dreams are made for to appeal us. Nice thought though.:rolleyes:

Dr. Distortion

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Buying a faster mac than you need now is also a matter of looking into the future... you want it to be functional in a few years too, right?
For example, my G4/500 DP is still very snappy in osX, while it's a mac from the os9 era... Back then I really didn't use the 2nd processor much, but now with osX the mac certainly redeems itself and its price!

-Dr. D.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by insidedanshead
well its all about the numbers.. I don't care how hard apple pushes the MHz myth.. average Joe blow consumer will look at two machines a pc and mac and be like hey for half the price I can get double the Mhz with the PC.. thats it.. unfortunately that's one of the biggest reasons apple needs to bump up mhz.. I don't really care what chip they do it with they just need to do something.

ok, there's a reason i can latch onto: marketing. and it's cynical, to boot. nice.

i see your point. and it's sad that people look at that clock cycle number so critically (like they even know what it really means). but does the evidence bear that out? isn't apple gaining marketshare right now?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
my G4/500 DP is still very snappy in osX, while it's a mac from the os9 era... Back then I really didn't use the 2nd processor much, but now with osX the mac certainly redeems itself and its price!

you and i bought the exact same machine, and for the same reason. yes, i'm still happy with it. it does what i need it to, quickly.

in fact, i rarely max out the cpus (i did it once, simultaneously importing some 30k emails into Mail.app and volume smoothing some 3k songs in iTunes).

what does this tell me? the bottleneck is not the cpu, it's some combo of the bus and the HD. imho, that's what apple should be concentrating on.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: What before the 970 ?

Originally posted by TMJ1974
If Apple keeps with their current introduction "schedule" there is (at least) one more PowerMac to be introduced before the new IBM chip is available. ...

Tim

I B Moron...

:cool:

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Re: The MPC7457...

Originally posted by SpaceInc

...oh yeah; think about it. Apple has double prosessor macs allready for pro users (who the heck is a pro user anyway: anyone wants doubleG4 at home...) and if You just for fun think what would happen if those G4+-what-ever-mucho-prosessors-with-extraordinary-teraflops would be implemented into a pro mac...think about it: double G4 with 2x1,8 Ghz. Fastest Pentium4 that I know is 3.03 GHz...

Anyways dreams are made for to appeal us. Nice thought though.:rolleyes:

??? I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

In case you're doubting my info:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/MPC7457.jpg

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
There is still room for improvement in the G4. We know it can be scalled to 1.8Ghz. The only problem is that Motorola does not seem to the balls to do it (or equipment) + the money.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
I ahve to agree with the folks up above -- I've got a dual 450, and it's snappy, an I use it for Mathematica to a web borswer to video editing. It's perfectly alright for me. But my other point is, IBM says these PPC 970's will be realeased late 2003, and I'm not convinced. If a company has another comapny asking for it's processors (so not 100% confirmed, but most likely) and you know you're going to get a big pay off (and there is a definite demand for them), you manufacture for them first, THEN produce more for other things. So in other words, I think the 2003 release date is going to be when they release them for other things, but that Apple will have them before that.

NativaMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2002
dual processor macs are no substitute for faster processor macs. you may be faster if you are wizzarding your way through osx, but if you work on real time apps. like music or video, faster processors are a must to follow the developement of more complex software and algorythms. also alot of apps don´t even support dual processors or are unevenly split up on the two processors, and developement for MP mode of software companies is laging behind big time. I am glad I never spent the money to get a dual processor mac. as a computer musician i would have never used both until today and into the future.
Especially now that apple is getting seriously into providing machines for music production (i suppose that´s why they bought emagic) they need to release fast single processor macs or the competition will get the deals.

my two cents...

oh and here my unsubstancial rumors:

dual 1.333 ghz G4´s in Q1/03 - would that be sad!

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
970 preview.

Apple really really really needs to give us a 970 Preview and begin taking pre-orders. Is there a 970 chip out there? I am sure there must be at least one prototype they could preview. By at least previewing one beta machine, they could say they were the first. Can you imagine the number of Pre-orders? It would be huge. I would get one, I don't need one, can't afford one, but, I would still get one. apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.