Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple and Mac friends.

What brand and model is the heatsink and cooler on this? It's a low profile cooler w/ rubber shock absorber to mount (what's the proper name for those rubber mounters?) the fan to the heatsink and it's for the Intel Q6600 (socket LGA775, a CPU from 2007, 15 years ago). The fan is pretty stylish (and Apple users are usually into function as well as form/looks):

Stylish Low Profle Heatsink and Fan for Q6600.png

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sadly these low profile designs are pretty common.

Noctua offers one of the better ones
1664385919224.png

BeQuiet is also a good brand
1664385989932.png

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Here's another one

Thanks, ID cooling's also branded which is nice. Research to optimize is always a grueling days to week of research, 16 hour a day, when it comes to parts (I can't wait to just buy a Mac X-D and save a lot of time but it's for a client), sometimes you wish you could just buy the best parts reviewed by the usual top PC reviewers and budget is almost unlimited (Elon Musk) but a few days to a week of research mean years of service.

:)

I found the cooler w/ the cool looking round fan (cool looking but maybe it's performance is not as great), although the owner remember it's a Scythe (further grueling research, pointed to the Scythe Big Shuriken from before more than 7 years ago) but upon further research the fan is from Thermolab. It may be "Frankestein" HSF: a Scythe Big Shuriken low profile heatsink with Thermolab round fan or a Thermolab Micro Silencer.

I wonder which cooler can cool a 105w CPU to about 25% overclock under load yet still be below 80C or 80C continuously for 16 hours or more (from budget to next to the best or Tier 2)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.