Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For decades we (Wife and I) have purchased Sears, Kenmore Appliances. When we remodeled our kitchen in 2015, we purchased a gas stove top, and wall oven, a no brainer. Lately we have been thinking of replacing our 25CF refridgeratir with a 28-29 CF model, however, Sears is struggling, they are about to close the local Sears brick and mortar store, and I went to Sears.com and found some distrubing reviews.

Yes, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt, but all the reviews I saw there were bad, from the refrigerator was noisy when it runs, to a graphite model, the texture started pealing within 2 years, to it broke under 2 years, with a 1 year warrant and it would have been $900 to fix.

I realize Kenmore has always been a brand made by other manufacturers, but I’m wondering if these manufacturers are now making crap for Kenmore? I have to say the Kenmore prices currently on sale are excellent, but if you are buying junk... ?

Anyway we are not looking for the most expensive, but want good quality. We are going to Lowe’s tomorrow to look at a 28CF Samsung, French Doors with freezer on bottom for $1700. Oh, and my wife wants a white finish.
What say you? :D

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
For decades we (Wife and I) have purchased Sears, Kenmore Appliances. When we remodeled our kitchen in 2015, we purchased a gas stove top, and wall oven, a no brainer. Lately we have been thinking of replacing our 25CF refridgeratir with a 28-29 CF model, however, Sears is struggling, they are about to close the local Sears brick and mortar store, and I went to Sears.com and found some distrubing reviews.

Yes, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt, but all the reviews I saw there were bad, from the refrigerator was noisy when it runs, to a graphite model, the texture started pealing within 2 years, to it broke under 2 years, with a 1 year warrant and it would have been $900 to fix.

I realize Kenmore has always been a brand made by other manufacturers, but I’m wondering if these manufacturers are now making crap for Kenmore? I have to say the Kenmore prices currently on sale are excellent, but if you are buying junk... 👀

Anyway we are not looking for the most expensive, but want good quality. We are going to Lowe’s tomorrow to look at a 28CF Samsung, French Doors with freezer on bottom for $1700. Oh, and my wife wants a white finish.
I sold appliances for a while, would recommend to stay away from Samsung and LG as they have the most issues, are harder to get serviced and find parts for repairs. Also recommend getting the extended warranty on any expensive appliances. Usually only a hundred dollars or so but worth it. I saw so many people that bought appliances and a year or two later the appliances stopped working and they were having to buy new ones. Wishing they had got the warranty and they would be repaired or replaced. I personally like Kitchen Aid and have never had an issue with any of ours.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Fridge I'd go GE or Whirlpool, possibly LG - I did a ton of research semi-recently, and according to several sources (that I determined weren't either sites [secretly] promoting a brand or a retailer redirect), they had the least incidents of repairs/failures.

Our GE Profile SS appliances - fridge, micro/oven, oven/stove, dishwasher - have been pretty solid, they're probably pushing 19 years[?] Had 10 year extended, then outside of the warranty I've put a new logic board in the fridge (~$110), new door switches in the microwave/oven (~$40), and the dishwasher crapped out this year, and was replaced with a Bosch 300 series SS.

Our washer/dryer is an LG set (metallic cherry :D), over a decade, the dryer needed a new front panel logic board, ~$100.

FWIW, all the repairs I DIY'ed, parts sourced from AppliancePartsPros.com :)

I like extended warranties on expensive, life critical, and hard to move (to take in for service) appliances.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I sold appliances for a while, would recommend to stay away from Samsung and LG as they have the most issues, are harder to get serviced and find parts for repairs. Also recommend getting the extended warranty on any expensive appliances. Usually only a hundred dollars or so but worth it. I saw so many people that bought appliances and a year or two later the appliances stopped working and they were having to buy new ones. Wishing they had got the warranty and they would be repaired or replaced. I personally like Kitchen Aid and have never had an issue with any of ours.
I looked at a Kenmore with a $580 extended warranty that was 3 years I think, maybe 5. :eek:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
We got rid of our "white" (plastic turning yellow) appliances a few years ago and bought all Kenmore stainless steel. They were still highly rated then, but things change. My advice: if you buy white, make sure it's all metal.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Consumer reports reliability scores based upon 6884 ratings of top-freezer refrigerators:

LG, Maytag 10
Amana, Frigidaire, Kenmore, Whirlpool 9
GE, Hotpoint 7

My experience with sears service (on a range with a service contract) was terrible. Took weeks to get repair scheduled, then more weeks to order the parts. After multiple repairs major problem getting it replaced ("we only replace after 3 repairs in a 12 month period. This is the 4th repair in 13 months". Did get a service representative who was very helpful in working issues with me so he finally got the darn thing replaced.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't depend on any brand, especially when there's so few brand that actually make their own products. Take Kenmore as mentioned above. Sears does not make them but rather whirlpool, the same goes for Amana.

My fairly recent goal is to buy appliances that are devoid of technology, i.e., why in the world do I need a frig that uses a camera and display to show me the insides of the frig when a simple opening of the door reveals that. More when that added tech adds complexity and the price to something that really doesn't need it

For instance, I get get a frig from ikea for 600 (made by whirlpool)
1583670348178.png

Or I can get an LG for 6,300 dollars :oops:
1583670625397.png

Both do the same thing, keep my produce cool and frozen

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, but the things I use the most are

1. Through the door water and ice dispenser.
2. Rapid cool drawer for quick chill of beverages or cooked items that have to be chilled before added to a recipe or frozen
3. Quick cool options for both freezer and refrigerator for when I have just added a ton new food to be frozen or have finished a shopping trip.

Not in the base models.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't depend on any brand, especially when there's so few brand that actually make their own products. Take Kenmore as mentioned above. Sears does not make them but rather whirlpool, the same goes for Amana.

My fairly recent goal is to buy appliances that are devoid of technology, i.e., why in the world do I need a frig that uses a camera and display to show me the insides of the frig when a simple opening of the door reveals that. More when that added tech adds complexity and the price to something that really doesn't need it

For instance, I get get a frig from ikea for 600 (made by whirlpool)
View attachment 898065

Or I can get an LG for 6,300 dollars :oops:
View attachment 898067

Smart fridges are overhyped, especially if there is a large price tag associated with that feature. Bottom line, I don’t feel a need to communicate with my fridge via my phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not in the base models.
Nope, and while water dispensers are a nice loption, the others you mention seem to be a bit extravagant. Do you really need a rapid cool section? Time in a normal fridge will do the same thing. Most recipes that require ingredients to be cooled usually offer an hour in the freezer or fridge.

As for the quick cool freezer that doesn't make sense to me, usually, when I go shopping and put items in the freezer they're already frozen or they'll not be needed immediately in both cases such a feature doesn't seem all that needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not knocking anyone's choices. I'm coming from a more basic approach that if I spend 600 dollars on an appliance, I'll have more money for other things. Like I said, this is my personal philosophy and if you want to buy aa 10,000 dollar fridge that even orders the food for you - go for it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fridge I'd go GE or Whirlpool, possibly LG - I did a ton of research semi-recently, and according to several sources (that I determined weren't either sites [secretly] promoting a brand or a retailer redirect), they had the least incidents of repairs/failures.

Our GE Profile SS appliances - fridge, micro/oven, oven/stove, dishwasher - have been pretty solid, they're probably pushing 19 years[?] Had 10 year extended, then outside of the warranty I've put a new logic board in the fridge (~$110), new door switches in the microwave/oven (~$40), and the dishwasher crapped out this year, and was replaced with a Bosch 300 series SS.

Our washer/dryer is an LG set (metallic cherry :D), over a decade, the dryer needed a new front panel logic board, ~$100.

FWIW, all the repairs I DIY'ed, parts sourced from AppliancePartsPros.com :)

I like extended warranties on expensive, life critical, and hard to move (to take in for service) appliances.
For ourselves Kenmore has been a solid brand for 4 decades, but now I am questioning their products due to the challenges the brand is facing, ie possibly going out of business, even if their products have been made by other companies all along. Now I’m wondering about Kenmore. @Breezygirl‘s comment about Samsung gave me pause, because in the TV department, we view that as a solid brand.
[automerge]1583672723[/automerge]
Yeah, but the things I use the most are

1. Through the door water and ice dispenser.
2. Rapid cool drawer for quick chill of beverages or cooked items that have to be chilled before added to a recipe or frozen
3. Quick cool options for both freezer and refrigerator for when I have just added a ton new food to be frozen or have finished a shopping trip.

Not in the base models.
I would not pay extra money specifically for a quick cool feature. That sounds like a gimmick to me, no offense. An ice dispenser is a must, and I assume chilled water comes with that, but we rarely use it, because I don’t like replacing expensive water filters on our current fridge.

Reactions: MacNut

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For ourselves Kenmore has been a solid brand for 4 decades, but now I am questioning their products due to the challenges the brand is facing, ie possibly going out of business, even if their products have been made by other companies all along. Now I’m wondering about Kenmore. @Breezygirl‘s comment about Samsung gave me pause, because in the TV department, we view that as a solid brand.

Based on my research, for other than a very entry level, inexpensive fridge, I'd avoid Kenmore as a purchase option today. I don't buy Samsung products (directly), so they don't even come up as an option. Again, GE, LG, WHirlpool appeared to have the best service record when you review multiple data points collected across different review sites (not just anecdotal, i.e., "I have this brand and it works" sort of thing).

I'm not interested in: smart features, or see through doors (gross) or gimmicky things (like two-section doors that are supposed to reduce the need to open the main door ...), and we were also considering french doors with a bottom freezer (I did like the two-drawer bottom for easier access to "daily need" sort of items). Our current GE is a side-by-side. Assuming you also want external ice/water access[edit: oops, yes, see you said that above, I had this post just idling since you replied]

We wound up not buying as I actually fixed our GE, no parts, it was just a clogged freezer drain line, did a little R&R on the fans/etc., running perfectly again, so we postponed a replacement :)

Check out this GE model: GFE28GGKWW (in white)

Hahaha, my office mini fridge (aka, The Beer Fridge) is a Magic Chef, go figure, well, it's because it was black, not too expensive, and a hard to find 4-5' cu/ft mini __without__ a freezer! I don't need no stinkin' ice, I need MOARBEER ... :D

Reactions: JamesMike and Huntn

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

I realize Kenmore has always been a brand made by other manufacturers, but I’m wondering if these manufacturers are now making crap for Kenmore? I have to say the Kenmore prices currently on sale are excellent, but if you are buying junk... ?

There is Maytag...I think for small kitchen appliances it would be KitchenAid.

I believe LG electronics is working on a washing machine which uses no water or detergent and would not require a dryer...are showers will be like this one day.

Reactions: Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I stay away from all Sears house brands, one their repair policies. The other reason is Sears is on its last rights.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
The preferred brand in my family is Thermador, but I realize that's not an everyday brand. Otherwise I've had good luck with GE and our new washer and dryer are GE and they've been working very well.

Kitchen Aid is my favorite for small appliances.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Our Maytag fridge is like 17 years old now. In the last five years we've bought a dishwasher and dryer from them that have been doing fine.

And yeah, we did try a Samsung dryer, but it didn't last even two years. They made it so it did a song and dance every time it started and finished so it was pretty obnoxious anyway.

Reactions: LizKat

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would second Whirlpool for refrigerators. Our current refrigerator was bought in 1998 for about $325. It has survived three house moves, one of which was over 400 miles and we have had no problems with it at all.

I figure if what was probably a basic model for 1998 can last 22 years and still keep going then it's a good brand.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
read the on-line reviews at abt.com. These days all appliances are a great value.
ABT has in the past had good local delivery service. All the delivery peeps call the day and day before but abt is the most professional.

I priced an appliance set from abt vs homeDepot in December19 and the depot was the best of.
-The home depot delivery is not professional. Drivers got lost and almost gave up.
-homeDepot; dont buy online, visit the store you intend to do business with. you will get a different story from each store too. Homedepo's web site is junk.
-ABT; you can call them and they will match anybody's price. I was just in a hurry and didnt want to haggle. abt's online experience is very good. Now that ABT and homeDepot both have to charge sales tax its a wash which one I will use
-measure very very carefully so the new appliance will fit

your looking for a good appliance read the online reviews on ABT.COM

I would not buy from Lowes, Sears and i buy at least a few appliances per year
LG looks interesting.
I dont usually buy gas appliances. If you buy a gas range buy a gas-electric unit
for my home usage i would buy an induction cook top these days
I do not buy stackable washer dryers as if one goes totally dead you have to replace both
appliances are easy to DIY install your self.
for example i believe all dish washers are made in the same hut in viet-nam, just rebranded.

for my home an ice maker is an absolute must; go figure !

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Little appliances: I like Kitchen Aid for a stand mixer, and love my Krups coffee and spice grinders. I use a Rowenta steam iron in my studio for fancy work while piecing quilts or wallhangings, and a Sunbeam for regular clothing items. Happy with both, got another Sunbeam for use in the upstairs hallway where I sometimes work on fabrics that have already been washed and just need a quick press before getting cut. Oster smoothie blender, Hamilton Beach blender, Cuisinart food processor, Sunbeam portable mixer for quickbreads etc. I should get an electric can opener against the day I can't manage a manual one, but haven't shopped around for that yet.

My GE washer and elec dryer have been great, they're from the late 90s. They haven't had hard use from mostly just me over that timeframe, even with my quilting fabrics obsession, so I can't speak to the brand's longevity if had been used by a large family for that long.

My Amana refrigerator with a freezer unit in the top is from 1997; I have liked it very much despite having been warned off the brand at the time I bought it -- I discounted the warning because the bad-mouther was talking about one that was ten years old at the time-- and so far it's still well behaved. I do try to keep up w/ latest impressions of newer refrigerator brands, since that Amana should have thrown down a winning hand a long time ago and sent me shopping. It's not fancy, doesn't even have ice/water dispensers and I won't care about that on a new fridge either. I will be looking for something that caters better to fans of a lot of fresh produce on hand at one time. My old Amana's veggie bins strike me as just ludicrously small for my food preferences nowadays, and I have to improvise with rack adjustments and assorted containers to store what I use weekly.

As far as "depend on"... I'm not exactly depending on my range because it's a very well built Kalamazoo but from God knows when, probably the 50s. I began using it in the 80s. Kalamazoo as a brand is long gone, probably because when you bought one, you were pretty much set for life.

I've been starting to shop around for a gas range like any sensible person who used to cook w/ gas in NYC would do, even though I did learn how to cook rice on an electric range after about two years up here. Lotta rice went out back for the birds the first three months though. No brand preference on a gas appliance yet. I'll be happy to do more baking, nothing fancy, just simple table breads I might be inclined to start making again. The Kalamazoo most often gets relegated to warming plates or getting stuff run under the broiler for a couple minutes; I don't want to trust that it can maintain even temperatures for fussier items like cakes, even muffins. So it's casserole duty and that's about it for the K.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Little appliances: I like Kitchen Aid for a stand mixer, and love my Krups coffee and spice grinders. I use a Rowenta steam iron in my studio for fancy work while piecing quilts or wallhangings, and a Sunbeam for regular clothing items. Happy with both, got another Sunbeam for use in the upstairs hallway where I sometimes work on fabrics that have already been washed and just need a quick press before getting cut. Oster smoothie blender, Hamilton Beach blender, Cuisinart food processor, Sunbeam portable mixer for quickbreads etc. I should get an electric can opener against the day I can't manage a manual one, but haven't shopped around for that yet.

My GE washer and elec dryer have been great, they're from the late 90s. They haven't had hard use from mostly just me over that timeframe, even with my quilting fabrics obsession, so I can't speak to the brand's longevity if had been used by a large family for that long.

My Amana refrigerator with a freezer unit in the top is from 1997; I have liked it very much despite having been warned off the brand at the time I bought it -- I discounted the warning because the bad-mouther was talking about one that was ten years old at the time-- and so far it's still well behaved. I do try to keep up w/ latest impressions of newer refrigerator brands, since that Amana should have thrown down a winning hand a long time ago and sent me shopping. It's not fancy, doesn't even have ice/water dispensers and I won't care about that on a new fridge either. I will be looking for something that caters better to fans of a lot of fresh produce on hand at one time. My old Amana's veggie bins strike me as just ludicrously small for my food preferences nowadays, and I have to improvise with rack adjustments and assorted containers to store what I use weekly.

As far as "depend on"... I'm not exactly depending on my range because it's a very well built Kalamazoo but from God knows when, probably the 50s. I began using it in the 80s. Kalamazoo as a brand is long gone, probably because when you bought one, you were pretty much set for life.

I've been starting to shop around for a gas range like any sensible person who used to cook w/ gas in NYC would do, even though I did learn how to cook rice on an electric range after about two years up here. Lotta rice went out back for the birds the first three months though. No brand preference on a gas appliance yet. I'll be happy to do more baking, nothing fancy, just simple table breads I might be inclined to start making again. The Kalamazoo most often gets relegated to warming plates or getting stuff run under the broiler for a couple minutes; I don't want to trust that it can maintain even temperatures for fussier items like cakes, even muffins. So it's casserole duty and that's about it for the K.
Kitchen Aid mixers are built like tanks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We stopped by a Sears Appliance Showcase to day that was closing (all sakes final) and was told by the salesperson, they were made by LG. I thought Kenmore used to be made by Maytag. Anyway, all the decent fridges in the store and later at Lowe’s, they were all gray, metal, graphite finishes. A really out standing deal though was a $2300 fridge for $1400, but then my wife decided she need a drawer, and none of them had white finishes except for the little, inexpensive old fashioned ones.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Don't draw generalizations, instead look at the design and place of manufacture of the specific model you're buying.

Maytag rebadged some Samsung washers in the past. We used to have one, the control panel died and it took 6 weeks and $300 to get a replacement. The repairman said that the Whirlpools that come from Germany are noticeably less reliable than the US made ones.

GE appliances was sold to the Chinese company Haier in 2016. They say they're still from former GE plants, but I'd watch out, especially on low-end models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.