Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semiraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2023
Hello,
I have an iPhone and I will buy a HomePod mini. However, I am the only one in my family who uses iPhone.

Can HomePod be used without having an iPhone?
For example, my sister can answer intercom messages from the HomePod.
Or that she tells the HomePod to play a song or radio.

But I'm not home and she wants to use it.

Thank you!

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Yes. Anyone can make general requests for things like music, asking Siri questions, and Home requests that don’t require authentication.

• Love
Reactions: semiraw

semiraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2023
Yes. Anyone can make general requests for things like music, asking Siri questions, and Home requests that don’t require authentication.
What music application, without iPhone, can be used?

(I don't have Spotify Premium)

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
What music application, without iPhone, can be used?

(I don't have Spotify Premium)
Apple Music, Pandora, Deezer, TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio (to my knowledge, I might be missing a few).

For other music services, like Amazon Music, Spotify, or Youtube, you will need an Apple device nearby (Apple TV, Mac, iPad or iPhone) to stream the audio content to the HomePod.

• Love
Reactions: semiraw

semiraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2023
Apple Music, Pandora, Deezer, TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio (to my knowledge, I might be missing a few).

For other music services, like Amazon Music, Spotify, or Youtube, you will need an Apple device nearby (Apple TV, Mac, iPad or iPhone) to stream the audio content to the HomePod.
Do I say to HomePod Mini "Hey Siri: I want to listen to music from Deezer (or Pandora, TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio)" and that's it?

Will it automatically play music without an iPhone present?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.