Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
We have an unused iPhone SE (2nd gen) sitting in a drawer. It literally looks like it was run over by a car. Serious damage to front and back (you can see inside the phone through the holes!). Believe it or not, it still powers on and the touch screen works. I even updated it to iOS 16.5.

The original AppleCare expired but I just got a pop up saying I have 30 days to resubscribe for a small fee per month.

If I resubscribe, what will AppleCare do to repair the phone if I send it in? Might come in handy as a 1st phone for my kid. Assuming they’ll fix it. It needs a new front, back, and maybe a new battery. Has Apple ever rejected a repair request. It has no water damage that I’m aware of.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It would be a whole device replacement. You'll get a refurb replacement for such damage. Plenty of people do that kind of damage, e.g. leaving iPhone on the roof of the car while filling up, then forgetting about it.

Reactions: DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
Nice. Any idea what they would charge me for this? The website isn’t clear, seems like the “Other” category for $99 might be it.

Think they still have 2nd generations still around? Or could I get an newer 2022 SE?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Nice. Any idea what they would charge me for this? The website isn’t clear, seems like the “Other” category for $99 might be it.

Think they still have 2nd generations still around? Or could I get an newer 2022 SE?

Yes, should be $99. They have plenty of 2nd gen SE available locally. If not, it'll be just a couple business wait while they bring one in.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you know if it would come with a new battery, too?
New battery, new casing, new screen. Apple refers to replacements as 'remanufactured' and they go through a more stringent QC check than new phones. You can expect used parts (other than what I mentioned) but they will all have been tested to meet Apple standards.

Reactions: DaveTheRave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.