Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
The new $229 Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad, probably.

$120 less than Magic Keyboard for iPP 12.9. The keyboard is magnetically detachable, the case always provides protection.

I’m glad Logitech finally made this for the 12.9”. My only gripe with it (from looking at it) is the back flap once it’s in detached mode. If I decide to pick the tablet up and hold it, will the flap just flop down, or will it lay flush against the back of the case?

EDIT: It’s magnetic. 100% SOLD now! See functionality below. Someone FINALLY nailed iPad keyboard versatility. ZAGG was really close with their Pro Keys model for iPad Air 4, bit the keyboard was lacking IMO. Logi killed it with this one though!

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It looks like a bit of a gamble wrt earlier SFs - until we get the devices, there‘s no way of knowing.

I have a 2nd gen, so no idea what the 3-4th look like. I think the camera cluster is different on the 3rd, so although 4th gen compatible may be backwards compatible with 3rd, it doesn’t look like it works the other way round. A lot of the really cheap genuine Apple ones on eBay are 3rd gen, so presumably the camera on the 5th gen would be an issue. The question I guess, is whether the 4th and 5th are close enough to mean it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s 4th gen compatible.
If you’re talking about the 12.9” iPad Pro, 1st and 2nd are physically identical, 3rd Gen removed the home button, 4th Gen introduced the iPhone 11/12 style rear camera square, and 5th Gen is slightly thicker.

Apple has come out and said the Magic Keyboard from last year would work with the new iPads, it just may not close properly (which a lot of people say sounds like bs). Even if true, the way the Smart Folio is designed with the hinge, it would give a little extra breathing room versus the Magic Keyboard. So for me it’s worth the gamble, just make sure whichever folio you pickup has the square camera cutout and not the smaller oval-shaped one. Square cutout means it’s for the 4th Gen 12.9”, which was backwards compatible with the 3rd Gen and should be forwards compatible with the 5th Gen.

Robcat101

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
UK
If you’re talking about the 12.9” iPad Pro, 1st and 2nd are physically identical, 3rd Gen removed the home button, 4th Gen introduced the iPhone 11/12 style rear camera square, and 5th Gen is slightly thicker.

Apple has come out and said the Magic Keyboard from last year would work with the new iPads, it just may not close properly (which a lot of people say sounds like bs). Even if true, the way the Smart Folio is designed with the hinge, it would give a little extra breathing room versus the Magic Keyboard. So for me it’s worth the gamble, just make sure whichever folio you pickup has the square camera cutout and not the smaller oval-shaped one. Square cutout means it’s for the 4th Gen 12.9”, which was backwards compatible with the 3rd Gen and should be forwards compatible with the 5th Gen.
Which, to be fair, is exactly what I said. The 4th gen SF should be ok, but until the devices arrive, we’re not 100% sure. It’s worth a punt.

Regardless, I’d still rather have gen Apple, as the non-oem ones often don’t fit very well, and definitely don’t last as long - so I’ve bought a full price “5th gen compatible“ directly from Apple. I like to have a spare, but I’d rather not spend another 100 quid.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Which, to be fair, is exactly what I said. The 4th gen SF should be ok, but until the devices arrive, we’re not 100% sure. It’s worth a punt.

Regardless, I’d still rather have gen Apple, as the non-oem ones often don’t fit very well, and definitely don’t last as long - so I’ve bought a full price “5th gen compatible“ directly from Apple. I like to have a spare, but I’d rather not spend another 100 quid.
I must have misread your first post, I had just woken up haha. Personally I got mine from Amazon open box for $48 out the door. If it doesn’t work I figure I’ll sell it on eBay and get my money back. For half price it is worth the gamble.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I’m glad Logitech finally made this for the 12.9”. My only gripe with it (from looking at it) is the back flap once it’s in detached mode. If I decide to pick the tablet up and hold it, will the flap just flop down, or will it lay flush against the back of the case?

EDIT: It’s magnetic. 100% SOLD now! See functionality below. Someone FINALLY nailed iPad keyboard versatility. ZAGG was really close with their Pro Keys model for iPad Air 4, bit the keyboard was lacking IMO. Logi killed it with this one though!

Beautiful, I was waiting for a video like this. Such a chill review. After 6:30 I'm 100% sold now. This case is a great invention.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Going with Brydge 12.9 Max+. Now it used magnets instead of the old style clamps. $100 less than Apple. Not shipping til June though.
I'm looking at both the new Brydge Max+ and the new Logitech. The Brydge with it's aluminum keyboard base seems more laptop like (though it uses a BT connection vs. the Apple like pin connection on the new Logitech).

While I'm reading that Brydge has updated firmware, even on its older models, that offer a much better experience on the trackpad. Can anyone out there attest to this firmware really gives an MK like trackpad experience? Is it responsive, are the firmware upgrades a pain. I see Brydge offers an app. to keep the user up-to-date on firmware upgrades.

If the Brydge was available today, not a pre-order for June, I'd order one and try it out on my 2018 iPad Pro ASAP. That would hook me right now, assuming my trackpad performance fears were total unfounded. ;) Yes, yes, I'm beginning to sound like a "First-World Problems Whinner" even to myself!

Would the direct pin connection of the new Logitech guarantee a better experience with the trackpad? I'm also worried about Brydge keeping up their firmware with iOS updates so the trackpad would continue to work as promised.

Yes, these two third party keyboard cases are cheaper. But then I think, heck just take the money hit a go with the MK. Note I own a 2020 MK, and other than the small trackpad, and other than weird rubber exterior (that greases up and can wear weirdly) I like it:rolleyes:

As reported earlier I kind of plan to try my 2020 MK, with a pre-ordered M1 12.9" iPad. But, I know it will only be a matter of time that I'll be looking for a truly compatible replacement for the 2021 iPad Pro.

Anyway, good luck to everyone trying to decide on the best accessories for their iPads.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Love the look of the new 12.9 combo touch, gutted it doesn’t fit the 4th gen 12.9.

• Wow
Reactions: jazz1

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Anyone who has an "old" 12.9 Apple Smart Folio, and a "new " one noticed any differences? I want the Smart Folio for my new 2021 12.9 but not sure if the 2020 model Smart Folio will fit.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I had previously emailed Logitech about the flap. The response was that it would remain up against the body of the case when needed. I specifically asked it it would "flop" around. From their response it seems that it won't.

The OP's statement that it uses a magnetic connection vs. BT sounds good to me!

florianschulz

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Germany
Decided to take the plunge on a sealed new Surf Blue genuine Smart Folio from eBay, £30. Hoping the 0.5mm makes no difference with the Smart Folio and my new 12.9
Did you already receive it by chance? That Folio would look nice on my new 12.9 as well and I couldn't find whether it fits or not.

Robcat101

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
UK
As long as it’s 4th gen compatible, it fits fine. I ordered a white one, and it’s great. 3rd gen appear to have the wrong cutouts for the camera, so be careful.

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Brydge Pro+ for 12.9… 169 USD

Alternatively, 18$ USD for replacement magnetic cover... Not a full case, but makes it grippy. Easy to hold, protects back of iPad… doesnt cover sides, magnetically attaches to back or front… my preference for 2020 iPP after trying a few options

florianschulz

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Germany
Sorry, just seen this.... yes I received it and it fits perfectly on the new 2021 12.9. So as long as you get one for a Gen 4 it will be fine :)
Yay - same here: Just seen it. I ordered the surf blue on eBay some days ago, shipping in from China for about half the price that German sellers want (which is even more than Apples price for the new generation). For now, the Magic Keyboard will have to do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.