Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My work setup/needs are like this. Currently a 2019MBP in clamshell, driving 2x32" 4k monitors plus a 24" 1920x1080 monitor. I don't do any video encoding/graphics, but I do regularly run some programs that draw more on the GPU and some occasional light editing. I'll be upgrading later this year, not sure whether to a 2022 MBP, a M2 Mini, or Mac Studio; I don't want overkill, but I want enough GPU power to drive all my monitors and apps in a snappy fashion. My 2019 MPB struggles, and the fans run all the time.

So... what chip do I need? Ultra is obviously overkill, Max might be, Pro probably not, but I gather the M1 8-core GPU might struggle?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
My work setup/needs are like this. Currently a 2019MBP in clamshell, driving 2x32" 4k monitors plus a 24" 1920x1080 monitor. I don't do any video encoding/graphics, but I do regularly run some programs that draw more on the GPU and some occasional light editing. I'll be upgrading later this year, not sure whether to a 2022 MBP, a M2 Mini, or Mac Studio; I don't want overkill, but I want enough GPU power to drive all my monitors and apps in a snappy fashion. My 2019 MPB struggles, and the fans run all the time.

So... what chip do I need? Ultra is obviously overkill, Max might be, Pro probably not, but I gather the M1 8-core GPU might struggle?
It’s more than likely a base m1 (8 core/16gb) will fit your need perfectly. Perhaps an M1pro. It depends on the specific gpu needs, as you’ve been rather vague.

If funds stretch though, and it fits your needs - get the base studio. It’s a beast and it will sail through years of use I’d wager. And 2k is really not that expensive.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
It’s more than likely a base m1 (8 core/16gb) will fit your need perfectly. Perhaps an M1pro. It depends on the specific gpu needs, as you’ve been rather vague.

If funds stretch though, and it fits your needs - get the base studio. It’s a beast and it will sail through years of use I’d wager. And 2k is really not that expensive.
Base model is great, but then there is the slippery $800 slope of upgrades:
  • 32-core GPU + $200
  • 64GB RAM + $400
  • 1TB SSD + $200
But that $2799 gives one a top-end M1 Max system...!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Base model is great, but then there is the slippery $800 slope of upgrades:
  • 32-core GPU + $200
  • 64GB RAM + $400
  • 1TB SSD + $200
But that $2799 gives one a top-end M1 Max system...!
Sure! Always the case!

With me I would upgrade the ram and the gpu. The ssd is fine as it’s just the system storage for me, as I use 10gbe nas and external raids for my work.

The un upgraded base system is still going to be a beast though, over kill for the OP, but future proofing at the same time.

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021

Buy the M1 quad. The doubled M1 Ultra should be fast enough inside the MacBook Pro 18-inch.

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
Even the M2 Mini won't drive more than two displays, plus I guess it won't arrive before October.

If you want to drive three displays your choices are, as ridiculous as that sounds, the Mac Studio and the MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro. Both start at 2 grand, but both have obvious advantages over the other. The Mac Studio is the be far better specced machine, on the other hand the MBP is a laptop, so if you need a machine on the go you have that also.

I'm not a laptop person (I hugely prefer a tablet being on the road, which is admittedly rare these days) so my choice would be pretty clearly for the Mac Studio. And I think the base config is perfectly fine, especially for your use case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.