Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hi everyone,

Thinking about getting a console (new or used) for some simple shoot em ups or twin stick shooters.

Any idea which one I should go for?

Used PS4 or Switch? Xbox?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm partial to PS4, but I believe the Xbox has better graphics. See which console has the games you want. I think it boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: George Dawes

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I'm an xbox guy - sounds like your decision is going to boil down to what controller you like the best. I'd say head on down to your local big box and sample the demo games they have.

That said, if you are hooking this new/used machine up to a 4K display then I'd say, treat yourself and pick up an xbox one x - you won't regret the purchase.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks everyone for the input. Surprised to see the Xbox recommended.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks everyone for the input. Surprised to see the Xbox recommended.

Xbox has the best controller - imho. I don't have a Switch Pro controller since I use just the handheld mode.

You can probably get some really killer deals this holiday season on PS4's and Xbox's (new or used) and use the savings to buy the games.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
For twin stick shooters? Short answer, PS4 for Nex Machina and Helldrivers.

Long answer. Shoot em ups are generally indie titles. For best selection of quality console indie titles outside of PC, your best bet is probably a PS4. It has good indie developer support and some high quality console exclusive twin-stick standouts like Nex Machina and Helldrivers.

Switch would be a close second, which also has great indie developer support. Actually, I think Switch is probably getting more indies than PS4 nowadays, but be careful, a lot of junk indie games in there to weed through which some people have complained about. Still, a great platform. I'd pick this over PS4 only if you want added portability.

Xbox One would be my last choice. I don't think M$ has done a great job attracting indie studio deveopment. Only quality shoot em up that comes to mind on it would be Cuphead, which is an excellent (albeit crazy difficult) side-scroller and run n' gun shooter. I'm sure there are others available, but most would be cross platform on PS4 (Geometry wars, etc). Quite frankly, I'm surprised Xbox One was recommended due to limited indie developer games.

Other considerations include your interest in games outside this genre (God of War, Mario, Halo?), what your friends play on, how you like the controller, etc.

Last edited:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
+1 for Nex Machina. I bought it on Steam during last year’s Steam sale. Absolutely fantastic twin stick shooter.

Also +1 on the Xbox controller. I have all the consoles. The PS4 thumb stick always slips during intense sections due to its convex design. No such issue with the Xbox since it’s a concave design.

I do prefer to buy on Steam as I have no less than 3 gaming capable PCs here, and I can use whatever controller I want. Funny thing though my favorite twin stick shooter probably still is Robotron.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
+1 for Nex Machina. I bought it on Steam during last year’s Steam sale. Absolutely fantastic twin stick shooter.

Also +1 on the Xbox controller. I have all the consoles. The PS4 thumb stick always slips during intense sections due to its convex design. No such issue with the Xbox since it’s a concave design.

I do prefer to buy on Steam as I have no less than 3 gaming capable PCs here, and I can use whatever controller I want. Funny thing though my favorite twin stick shooter probably still is Robotron.

Same here with Nex Machina - just installed it and is very awesome...

My most favorite Controller is the Xbox One Elite, followed by the Wii U Pro (now updated as the Switch Pro).

Funny with Steam. Twin Sticks shooters have Console Exclusives but all (AFAIK) are on Steam.

Maybe consider a Console PC? (either in size or just the same power as a PS4 or XBO)

PC parts prices are starting to go down finally...

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005

Only got Mac at the moment, but once i have decided on a platform I will give this a go. Looks pretty incredible. Thanks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.