Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I'm just wondering, what copy will you get? I mean theres legendary, limited, and normal.

Of course, im just gonna get normal, because im not a nerd. I want to spend more time playing the game, not hanging up my new spartan helmet and watching how they made the game.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Probably the limited edition for me. I like the nicer cases and I also like watching some of the documentaries.

I'm not a collector of toys or "knick-knacks" so I have no interest in the legendary edition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Dont plan to buy it... but If i'm pursuaded by my Live Clan, then I'd get the cheap bog standard Asian edition.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I'll go for the $29.99 Greatest Hits version when/if it's released. I'm not a big FPS and Online play fan but I can appreciate the quality of the franchise. I should get a few good hours of fun out of the single player campaign. Any news if the game will support network play?

thegreatunknown

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
I think I'll just skip Halo 3 and buy the other 312 FPS's on the 360. Honestly, are any of these games any different from each other?

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Normal, if i decide to get one at first. Halo is a great game, but its near the bottom on the list of games i wanna buy this fall/winter
I might just wait a while, until the price drops

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I have my Limited Edition ordered for a mere $50.

If I find a cheap Legendary version, I may upgrade. It apparently has an extra disc or two of extra documentaries and things.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
LOL, until I re-read the first post I thought it meant limited as in "limited content, lacking in something".

Nah. I hate all this BS surrounding games now, collectors editions and all that. It was nice back in the day when a few of the big games would go all out, but every frickin 360 game I see in the Top 10 list has one. Half the time priced the same as the original!

This is the worst. 3 versions? I'd rather have my Home Premium Halo 3 thanks.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
You guys sound bitter about Halo. Why? Is it because Microsoft bought Bungie?

I still appreciate a good collector's edition of a game. The extra $10 for a DVD with commentary by the developers and just going behind the scenes has been appreciated. Sometimes we get extra goodies like an art book and or figurines. Decent bonuses for $10, IMHO.

Granted, we definitely see a lot of special editions of games these days, especially on the 360, but for a game like Halo it's necessary. I don't think anybody understands or appreciates the rich backstory of Halo as a game and how it was conceived. Just watch the MWSF video, the E3 video (can't remember the years for either of those videos, but it's from when it was Mac/PC only), and the video about Halo from its original RTS design and how it evolved (with commentary from developers). There is so much that happened behind the scenes for this game, it disappoints me Halo will be remembered for it's multiplayer game instead of the single player game. Bungie made a very decent sci-fi story for Halo.

Yes, maybe the Legendary edition is overdoing it with a Spartan head, but I want to see that extra disc full of content. If I come across it for the right price, I'll jump on it, but until then, I will have to accept my already discounted Collector's version.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I still appreciate a good collector's edition of a game. The extra $10 for a DVD with commentary by the developers and just going behind the scenes has been appreciated. Sometimes we get extra goodies like an art book and or figurines. Decent bonuses for $10, IMHO.

From my experience with some collector's editions, I just feel there isn't enough behind the scenes. I wish they generally had more behind the scenes videos on a bonus DVD that goes more in depth on special aspects of the game.

I personally would love for them to show us some code, explain how they designed their AI, show the artists modeling and animating characters and have them explain their techniques, and actual production team meetings as they flesh out ideas.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
First your comments about MGS4 and "fanboys" and now this Applekid? Why are you trying to kick up a storm now we're all playing nice?

A lot of people here loved Halo 1 and 2. I can't say I liked Halo 2 at all. I've got nothing against Bungie. I doubt you'll find many people against Bungie here.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
For me, the cheapest one they have. The 'making of' dvd's are always kinda boring and I find bungie to be a really boring studio (after watching the Halo 2 dvd) to watch make a game. Plus I dunno, Halo is already the established franchise and judging by impressions from the beta, single player stuff, etc it doesn't look like Halo 3 will vary very far from Halo 1/2 so whats the point in seeing them rehash their old ideas for the sequel?

I was listening to IGN GameScoop yesterday at work (I have the worst task this week of opening a trim for a light fixture, pulling out the two springs that hold it in place, replacing the springs since they are the wrong size, then putting it all back together, rinse and repeat 876 times... literally :( ) and the guys said that at some EB/Gamestops where they go, the edition with the helmet is actually outselling the other two versions! It's $130 for a freakin helmet and an extra dvd!!! You can't even WEAR the helmet! :confused::confused::confused:

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
The helmet. I have the books already and the helmet willl go nicce next to my scrapmetal sculptures of the jengo fett and the speeder bike from jedi.

to the OP why not add a poll it is a feature of these forums.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
I think I'll just get the regular version of the game. I haven't yet purchased a special edition of any game, simply because I've always thought that if it was really "must see" then it would've been included. As long as the game in the box is the same, I have little motivation to spend any more $$$. Im still upset about the whole price hike on "next" gen games....

doctor newb

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
PC, not the computer
Well my parents last christmas decided to buy it online for me and they got the legendary.... I asked them why and they responded "the guy at eb games convinced us" I almost wanted to call the store up and complain for them hoaxing old people into paying twice as much for the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.