Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Was in the Apple store, definitely a lack of options.

I didn't like the official Apple silicon back cover and smart cover, I just feel that it covers up the beauty of the iPad Pro itself.

So I got an Incase Sleeve that is used for the MacBook 13''. I still prefer to use it bare while having the options to keep it well.

What do you guys use?

ara-mia

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2015
I picked up this cheap clear TPU case with Amazon Prime shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016G2TVM8

At $9.99 (now $12.99 for some reason), it's about the quality I expected, which is to say it's not great (imperfections in the plastic and seam lines). But the cutouts are aligned properly, it fits snugly, and it'll at least hold me over until some more high-quality cases start popping up!

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

At $9.99 (now $12.99 for some reason), it's about the quality I expected, which is to say it's not great (imperfections in the plastic and seam lines). But the cutouts are aligned properly, it fits snugly, and it'll at least hold me over until some more high-quality cases start popping up!

Do you think this will work with a normal Smart Cover? I'd like to protect the back but I like the gold Colorado show, and the silicone back for $79 is an insane price. I did buy the normal Smart Cover in white today though.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
I bought an Apple white silicone cover. Had some reward points on a CC I converted to cash and it ended up costing me about $11 and some change:)

Not the best solution but it'll do until Story Leather, Piel Frama, or Vaja come out with something nicer.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I saw that and one more that was similar but, ultimately went with this one, which was five dollars more:
iPad Pro Case, LUVVITT® CLEAR GRIP Flexible Soft Transparent TPU Rubber Back Cover for iPad Pro 12.9 (2015) Air Gap Shockproof Technology - Clear
IPP cover.jpg

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Smart cover for me. Not sure I will ever be interested in external keyboard.

ara-mia

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2015
Do you think this will work with a normal Smart Cover? I'd like to protect the back but I like the gold Colorado show, and the silicone back for $79 is an insane price. I did buy the normal Smart Cover in white today though.
Alas, there's no side cutout to accommodate a Smart Cover on this one. In my experience, TPU cases don't work too well with the Smart Cover cutouts, anyway, due to how flexible the material is… they tend to sag and look terrible. It looks like SwitchEasy is doing presales for the Pro version of their polycarbonate Smart Cover-compatible case, though!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/coverbuddy-the-smart-back-cover-for-ipad-pro--5#/

Reactions: tekchic

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Can you post a pic of this case from a few different angles? I want something like this - clear, only for the back - but I don't want a "lip" on the front glass like some cases do. Does this do that?

Reactions: Mystro

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I think it's just a matter of time.

For instance, I recently bought a smart cover case off Amazon for my Air 2, very similar to what Apple has now, that's the best case i've ever owned- better than Apple's. It cost around $15.

I went and looked on Amazon for an Pro version of this case; not yet. They do have the Mini 4 though.

link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As most of you know, the first cases tend to be bought as temporary, which is kind of silly, although they are very cheap. I may even do this, but I really never liked these types of cases at all.

I think i'll just use a sleeve. I'm hoping that this company (link above) or similar, will be quick about it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I am struggling with this as well. I got a white Apple smart cover to match my Gold 128gb but really love the Khomo full cover I have on all my Air 2's. I emailed them today and the only thing Khomo has is zipper types that I find bulky.

Anyone have some input on these??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171BYZH4?keywords=ipad pro cover&psc=1&qid=1447447351&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1-spons

I'm leery of those hard cases. I've heard they can scratch, if debris gets caught, or something like that. I like the more flexible type (not the gel-like ones though)

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
I was looking for some Smart Cover type covers for the pro, but cannot find ANY at all.

There seems to be tons of Cases/covers combos, but not a single standalone Smart Cover type accessory for the pro. In fact, the only cover I can find online is Apple's own Smart Cover (which is really hard to find right now as all the apple stores in my area are currently out)

I don't generally uses cases, and have always gone with covers. Anyone find any online???

Reactions: Brittielou

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I was looking for some Smart Cover type covers for the pro, but cannot find ANY at all.

There seems to be tons of Cases/covers combos, but not a single standalone Smart Cover type accessory for the pro. In fact, the only cover I can find online is Apple's own Smart Cover (which is really hard to find right now as all the apple stores in my area are currently out)

I don't generally uses cases, and have always gone with covers. Anyone find any online???

How about one of these Apple covers on eBay? $50 a pop http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-...760986?hash=item3d08fc5a5a:g:o1EAAOSwlV9WRpIq

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This one 'looks' good. It looks like a minimal design, which is what the Apple one is (pretty much).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-...197576?hash=item419f857408:g:VS0AAOSwo0JWPBHf

Also, curiously, this ships form the US. Odd.

But I will not buy them except off amazon, when they've had them for a while. The reviews are good usually, for this type of thing, where users point out salient points.

I've just bought too many cases in the past.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013

Not a bad option (cheaper than Apple Store and ships next week).

Went with the Smart Cover from apple (Best Buy in store pickup---again I checked this morning and all of the Apple stores in my area are again out of stock)

Don't know how long it will be before 3rd party smart covers will start appearing, but I cannot wait as I need some form of protection for my pro, but I do not want to use a case that will cover the entire iPad.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
This one 'looks' good. It looks like a minimal design, which is what the Apple one is (pretty much).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-...197576?hash=item419f857408:g:VS0AAOSwo0JWPBHf

Also, curiously, this ships form the US. Odd.

But I will not buy them except off amazon, when they've had them for a while. The reviews are good usually, for this type of thing, where users point out salient points.

I've just bought too many cases in the past.
Most of the Amazon reviews are all fake on iPad Pro accessories.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Not a bad option (cheaper than Apple Store and ships next week).

Went with the Smart Cover from apple (Best Buy in store pickup---again I checked this morning and all of the Apple stores in my area are again out of stock)

Don't know how long it will be before 3rd party smart covers will start appearing, but I cannot wait as I need some form of protection for my pro, but I do not want to use a case that will cover the entire iPad.
When I got my iPad Air 2 I really didn't want to spend $80 on the leather Smart Case, but that was the best purchase I made for an accessory. Nothing is as good. Shame Apple is even greedier this year. Prices are only increasing.

knuster

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
I ordered this one in black.from the pictures it looks great.
Its just stupid that apple didnt have an option for a smart case with the ipad pro instead of a cover+back seperately.
Oh well,hope this is a good enough and thin enough case for my pro
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I ordered this one in black.from the pictures it looks great.
Its just stupid that apple didnt have an option for a smart case with the ipad pro instead of a cover+back seperately.
Oh well,hope this is a good enough and thin enough case for my pro
View attachment 599974 View attachment 599975 View attachment 599976

Looks pretty good honestly. Kind of what I want for my IPP. Let me know how it feels/fits. I might order one depending on what your review is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.