Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Am curious what device/s you use for streaming tv/movie content on your main TV. Do you just use apps or cast/airplay functionality built-in to your smart TV, or do you use one or more streaming sticks/boxes connected to your TV? If so, which ones do you use an why?

Have put this in the "Alternatives to iOS" sub-forum because I'm primarily interested in responses from those (like me) who are not 100% embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

I currently use a 2018/2019 Roku stick on one HDMI port (which conveniently also provides Airplay) and a 2nd gen Chromecast on another (to cover Chromecast functionality). But my Roku stick is now getting a bit old/slow. Am thinking about whether I should upgrade to an Apple TV, Android TV or Fire TV device, or just get another Roku. Hence keen to hear what you all currently use and your reasons.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In my bedroom, which is the majority of my TV usage, Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) works the best. I also have two HomePod minis for sound. And use the TV output feature, which tricks the TV into thinking the HomePods are a home receiver. It’s a Samsung TV which also has good built-in apps, but I just prefer using Apple TV, as it’s faster and shows HDR better.

My living room TV, I just use the built-in apps on a Sony Android TV. Works flawless.
HDR on this TV shows better with the built-it apps vs any external streaming box I’ve tried on it.

My desktop monitor (Odyssey Neo G9), I use Apple TV 4K (first gen) with my monitor’s picture-n-picture mode. Only use this Apple TV occasionally.

I also have a small 22” monitor that I use Chromecast Google TV (the one with the remote). And have it connected to a BT sound bar.

Overall, I just like Apple TV 4K the best. IMO, best UI, performance, better optimized and/or written cross platform apps, and on screen sports reminders.
Also, I got accustom to liking the latest remote the best.

The Chromecast TV is pretty good too, especially for it’s cheap price. The remote could be better, but everything else about it is almost just as good as the Apple TV. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

I stopped using Roku. Mainly cause I dislike the UI and even the Premium Roku boxes feel sluggish to me.

Haven’t used a Firestick/Fire TV for the longest.

I think you would be very happy with either an Apple TV 4K or Chromecast Google TV.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
AppleTV4K+. If you can stand the UI it performs quite well.

What do some people dislike about the Apple TV UI? I actually quite like the Roku UI (very simplistic + ads are relatively subtle). From what I see online the Apple TV interface seems to me to be closer to this than to Google TV and Fire TV, which both seem to be very ad/promotion heavy.

My living room TV, I just use the built-in apps on a Sony Android TV. Works flawless.

I wish I had bought a Sony TV when I last bought a TV. Having both Airplay and Chromecast built-in (and not having to consider that in choice of any peripheral device) seems like a massive plus.

Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I've always been satisfied with each gen of Apple TV 4K. It's pricer than the competition. But it just feels more fluid when nevigating the menus vs others. And I can easily control it with my ipad, Iphone, or the remote it comes with.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I've always been satisfied with each gen of Apple TV 4K. It's pricer than the competition. But it just feels more fluid when nevigating the menus vs others. And I can easily control it with my ipad, Iphone, or the remote it comes with.

Do you think you'd use Apple TV even if you used Android for your mobile devices?

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Do you think you'd use Apple TV even if you used Android for your mobile devices?
I probably would. I just feel the Apple TV as a stand alone streaming device is among the best. But I haven't tried them all. I've only used UI of bluray players in the past. Or Roku. And I've used Game Consoles too. Apple TV 4K Is still the best experience in my view. The only big issue is some people hate the remote. THe latest gen they've made improvements to the remote. I rent movies frequent enough though that using the Iphone as a remote makes doing so far more seamless. But if I was Android user no I don't think that would deter me from using the Apple TV as my main streaming device.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Does anyone know if there are receiver apps for Apple TV app that enable you to cast to it via chromecast and miracast? Do they work well (reliably)?

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I use a Mac mini in the living room, navigated with a keyboard and mouse.
In the bedroom where I watch about 10 minutes of futurama a night, I use an Apple TV HD.
The Mac mini can be airplayed to buy also since it’s running anything I want, including websites, it’s way less stressful to try and make streaming happen.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I used android from 2012-2014 and I carried on using my Apple TV. I’ve always liked every generation. I’ve tried the fire TV stick, Google chromecast and the new Google TV chromecast with the remote. I don’t really like the fire TV stick. Never liked the interface. Whilst I do prefer the Apple TV, I think the chromecast is a good alternative.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While I have used Apple TVs since the very first generation, I also have plenty of experience using just about every alternative. Least favorite are Amazon and Roku’s offerings. Android TV on my office based Sony TV is pretty good and having casting and AirPlay along with the Apple TV app works great.

That being said, Apple TV is still my favorite. The new remote is finally great and it’s the only remote I use with the TV—not sure where my TV remote actually is at the moment. The UI is simple and fast having it immediately prompt my phone to use its keyboard when requiring long form entry is so convenient, as is the ability to then access my passwords from 1Password.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Am curious what device/s you use for streaming tv/movie content on your main TV. Do you just use apps or cast/airplay functionality built-in to your smart TV, or do you use one or more streaming sticks/boxes connected to your TV? If so, which ones do you use an why?

Have put this in the "Alternatives to iOS" sub-forum because I'm primarily interested in responses from those (like me) who are not 100% embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

I currently use a 2018/2019 Roku stick on one HDMI port (which conveniently also provides Airplay) and a 2nd gen Chromecast on another (to cover Chromecast functionality). But my Roku stick is now getting a bit old/slow. Am thinking about whether I should upgrade to an Apple TV, Android TV or Fire TV device, or just get another Roku. Hence keen to hear what you all currently use and your reasons.
AppleTV 4K and a smart tv with many streaming services built in...

Apr 12, 2023
We use both Roku and Firestick. I am going to be upgrading all my streaming devices to newer and more powerful units this year. We are still using roku 3s and firestick 1080 lites. We are also adding apple tv to the mix for fitness plus and gaming.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Nvidia Shield on my main TV that I’ve been using since May 2016. It’s still amazing even with the aged hardware and there’s nothing better I’ve seen to replace it with. The sideloading is the biggest benefit since I use an IPTV service for broadcast/cable TV.

Fire TV Cube (2nd Gen) on my bedroom TV. Light use, don’t watch much in there.

Also the built-in Roku system on my main TV for some of the free and quirky stuff Roku offers.

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
We used to have an Apple TV HD up until 2021–I used that from when I started living in my own apartment in college to when my wife and I moved to our second place together. Ultimately, our TV that my wife had been using since like 2012 finally crapped out and we decided to splurge on a TCL 43” 4K TV, specially the google TV version.

Does a really good job of being everything we would want from an entertainment hub—apps, inputs for modern consoles and an input for vintage consoles. However, I think the limited RAM/storage in it takes a toll on it from time to time when we go to turn it on and not having closed out of Netflix or Hulu results in the tv not remembering if it’s actually on or off?? So it just does nothing—meaning it doesn’t actually power on. Slightly annoying. But other than that, it does really good as far as being our main entertainment device. Now I just have to figure out how to get retroarch going on it and it’ll be our ultimate game console…

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Nvidia Shield on my main TV that I’ve been using since May 2016. It’s still amazing even with the aged hardware and there’s nothing better I’ve seen to replace it with. The sideloading is the biggest benefit since I use an IPTV service for broadcast/cable TV.

If it broke down today would you immediately replace it with the current most recent Shield (2019) or would you look elsewhere?

I've been thinking about getting a Shield or Shield Pro, but a bit reluctant to spend that much on 3 year old hardware with only 8-16gb of internal storage.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Atv. It’s just easier. Especially with purchasing or remembering passwords. And setting up new ones.

Do you mean easier in the sense that you can use your phone to copy/paste passwords from a password manager? Or something else?

I think Android/Google TV, Fire TV, and Roku all have official smartphone apps which facilitate control and text/password entry.

Also am curious if the ease you mention is only relevant for iPhone users? I don't believe there is an official Apple app for Android for interfacing with Apple TV streaming box.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Do you mean easier in the sense that you can use your phone to copy/paste passwords from a password manager? Or something else?

I think Android/Google TV, Fire TV, and Roku all have official smartphone apps which facilitate control and text/password entry.

Also am curious if the ease you mention is only relevant for iPhone users? I don't believe there is an official Apple app for Android for interfacing with Apple TV streaming box.
Keychain works on the Apple TV so no Typing or pasting of passwords required. I can use other devices such my apple Watch, iphone or ipad to authorise purchases on the Apple TV. icloud kechain doesn’t work on android phones and you can’t authorise a purchase on the Apple TV with an android phone.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
If it broke down today would you immediately replace it with the current most recent Shield (2019) or would you look elsewhere?

I've been thinking about getting a Shield or Shield Pro, but a bit reluctant to spend that much on 3 year old hardware with only 8-16gb of internal storage.
Honestly, I’d probably look for a deal on the “newest” version. I really like it and it does what I need. It’s really the same exact hardware as the original so it’s even older than it seems. Mine has an SD card slot for storage, not sure if the later versions do.

The Fire devices are fine but I don’t have Prime so they can be annoying pushing that.

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I use Firestick 4K for watching movies and TV shows. By using the Firestick, you can install customized applications of your choice. The practical fact is that users can unlock the Firestick and install the applications from third parties at their own risk.

Presumably you can do that with an Android/Google TV device as well and also get the added benefit of Chromecast built-in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.