Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Curious what Apple did with the Apple Leather Link bands after they discontinued them? Looking for a black one and can’t seem to find them anywhere. See them on eBay but don’t want to get a fake.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: mikedop

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
See them on eBay but don’t want to get a fake.
Just be sure you know what to look for. There are communities of people dedicated to finding this stuff. (Like me!)

As for where they all went? A good majority probably got sent to a liquidation service like @itsLouieV mentioned. These services will bundle them into pallets with other similar accessories and get sold to the highest bidder. TJX, the parent company behind TJ Maxx, Marshall's & Homegoods (TK Maxx too outside of the US) is a pretty prominent buyer of these, as we've been having fun finding OEM bands like the 2021 International Sport Loops marked down in their stores as low as $12.99.

The ones that didn't get liquidated (open box returns, demos, QC samples and the likes) were more likely sent back to China for destruction, where they often slip onto secondhand marketplaces and international sellers like Chargerstore on eBay will offer them for sale.

Reactions: DougFNJ

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Thanks guys, I ultimately found an open box one on EBay. Got a good price. I’ll update when I receive it.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Got the straps in today. Came in original box, it was opened as advertised, and in brand new condition. I really like how it looks against the Space black.

235487873d43985b00c5ce791fab4667.jpg

Reactions: tucogovinda

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
Most likely they get liquidated to 3rd party sellers like woot, Marshalls/tjx etc.
Yep agree. Just scored an Apple leather MagSafe wallet with find my at Marshall’s for $20. It was the only one they had so I of course had to grab it. Wanted brown but for this price I can live with black.
IMG_3209.jpeg

Reactions: adam1080
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.