Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do I do with the mini 5? (I am not going to sell it or recycle it.)

• Total voters

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
So, I bought an iPad mini 5 back in 2019. It was a real lifesaver for me during the pandemic, as I would've had to resort to my entry-level Windows laptop which starts to throttle when you open the web browser. However, A12 Bionic doesn't exactly fit my needs anymore as I occasionally do some serious gaming/stuff which the mini starts to slow down on. Also, I find myself hitting the RAM cap (3GB...) too often. So, I ordered an 2022 iPad Pro which would keep me in good standing for a long time. It's a 128GB / Silver / WiFi / 11-inch. The question is, what do I do with my mini 5? It can definitely handle moderate tasks just fine, since I've managed with it for 4 years, but I don't really know what I would use it for when the Pro would do everything... better. I provided some options on the poll so maybe you guys can help me decide. Thanks

Of course, I'm going to transfer data from the old to the new.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have all the iPad sizes. The mini 6 has actually replaced the 11" Pro as my EDC. While they both fit in my purse, the mini is easier to slide in and out ergo more convenient. I use the iPad mini (cellular version) instead of my phone for pretty much everything aside from calls/camera.

Also, not sure about you but gaming using touchscreen controls (no gamepad), I find the iPad mini size to be the comfiest.

Reactions: LibbyLA

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I have all the iPad sizes. The mini 6 has actually replaced the 11" Pro as my EDC. While they both fit in my purse, the mini is easier to slide in and out ergo more convenient. I use the iPad mini (cellular version) instead of my phone for pretty much everything aside from calls/camera.

Also, not sure about you but gaming using touchscreen controls (no gamepad), I find the iPad mini size to be the comfiest.
Cool. Maybe I'll use it with the Pro as a companion.

Touch-related things like touchscreen gaming, typing and drawing - mini
Things that involve an accessory like pencil drawing, keyboard gaming and typing - Pro

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I find the Mini is the perfect size for reading articles and whatnot. It's also not a demanding activity hardware-wise, if the iPad Mini is getting slow.

Reactions: klasma

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I find the Mini is the perfect size for reading articles and whatnot. It's also not a demanding activity hardware-wise, if the iPad Mini is getting slow.
Not really getting slow. It works like a masterpiece. It just slows a little when I push it pretty hard and has not enough RAM. Otherwise, I wouldn't upgrade. So yeah. I may also assign it to reading duty. :)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Not really getting slow. It works like a masterpiece. It just slows a little when I push it pretty hard and has not enough RAM. Otherwise, I wouldn't upgrade. So yeah. I may also assign it to reading duty. :)
I have a Mini 4 and it's SO slow. We only use it for letting the kid watch TV, and it's OK for that but just barely.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I am in the exact situation as the poll question. I have owned an iPad Mini 5 since Spring 2019, and last Fall, I purchased an Air 5, but made the decision to also keep the Mini. I kept the Mini primarily reading in bed and taking to restaurants and other places away from home while out running errands, about 1/3 of the original usage. The Mini still runs well, the only issues with it are that its case is starting to show its age, and the battery life is somewhat degraded compared to when it was new, although still usable. I use the Air primarily at work and at home, about 2/3 of the total iPad usage. I love having both sizes, the best of both worlds.

Reactions: rui no onna

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’d love to have a Mini to use like that! Yeah, I’d use it as a portable iPad, but I’m sure that on some occasions it could be of use alongside the Pro. Especially when reading, it’s a lot more comfortable and a lot more portable than the Pro.

I have two iPads as well, but they overlap a lot more: a 9.7-inch iPad Pro and an Air 5. The Air 5 is more of a replacement, I reckon that despite me liking the 9.7-inch iPad Pro (a lot. It’s my favourite iPad ever), the Mini 5 would work a lot better as a combo alongside the Air 5. For all intents and purposes, the 6th Gen Pro 11 is equivalent to the Air 5 (in terms of size configuration I mean), so yeah, for comfortable reading and portability, I don’t think 11-inch iPads can compete.

@RoadWarrior56’s use case scenario identifies the advantages of that combo pretty well, I think.

It’s a far “fuller” combo than my 9.7-inch iPad Pro/Air 5, but it is what it is.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Make it a 'standalone controller' for something useful.
My ipad 7gen was almost not in use until I found that Avid Pro Tools, my main tool for recording/mixing had a IOS app that let me have lots of controls and quickkeys on the touch screen ipad. It now sits in the middle of my mixing desk and is invaluable to me in its role:

IMG_0013.JPG

I still pick it up once in a while to bring it with me to a cafe or something.

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
I like to keep a minimal setup, and make the most out of the devices I have. Less financial, technical and time hassles. With an  WATCH, iPhone, iPad and MacBook I still have plenty of tech stuff to play with :)
My two cents worth: sell it and save the money to put towards your next device!

Reactions: hirsthirst

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to use it as a backup/emergency device in the event that I somehow misplace my Pro, then I can use the mini to track it w/ Find My, and if I can't find it then the mini will be reassigned to "main device" status (though with how paranoid I am, that likely won't happen). It is gonna stay on one of my desks, shut off for the time being. I don't really use the iPads for work, I just usually use them for fun and most of the things I've seen here are for true "professional" lifestyles, while I just wanted an iPad that wouldn't feel sluggish after a few years... :p

So yeah, thanks for the contributions. It's nice to know that if I ever needed to use the mini for work, it would be a great asset.

Reactions: japanime

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I like to keep a minimal setup, and make the most out of the devices I have. Less financial, technical and time hassles. With an  WATCH, iPhone, iPad and MacBook I still have plenty of tech stuff to play with :)
My two cents worth: sell it and save the money to put towards your next device!
Selling it would probably be the wise choice here, but I don't really want to considering if I didn't ever buy it then I would probably go insane during 2020-2022. I'm going to keep it as a tribute, but thanks for the input.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I have an iPad Mini 2 that I use as a sheet music display. A bit of a special-use case, but at least it's still in service.

Reactions: Lioness~

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
I have an original iPad air which is currently sitting unused, having been replaced with a newer iPad Pro. There are a number of things that make the older iPad practically useless: first, it is considerably slower for just about everything; second, it no longer receives OS or security updates from Apple, which makes it risky to use; and finally, several of its apps no longer will update, saying that the latest versions require a more recent version of iOS. I intend to get rid of the iPad Air since it no longer has any value to me.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I still use my iPad Air 2013 as a dedicated Yoga timer.
It’s old and without capacity to work when connected to own power source. But as long as I can use it connected to my ASD I am happy for its service.
My iPad Mini 5, is a dedicated Meditation timer sine I bought iPad Mini 6, and can be used for other things if needed at the place where it's dedicated. Happen rarely, but it have many yrs left of dedicated service.

Reactions: japanime

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I still use my iPad Air 2013 as a dedicated Yoga timer.
It’s old and without capacity to work when connected to own power source. But as long as I can use it connected to my ASD I am happy for its service.
My iPad Mini 5, is a dedicated Meditation timer sine I bought iPad Mini 6, and can be used for other things if needed at the place where it's dedicated. Happen rarely, but it have many yrs left of dedicated service.
I love the idea of using old tablets and phones for dedicated purposes. I previously mentioned using my iPad as a sheet music display. Yoga timer and medication timer are great ideas, too. Other possibilities would be white-noise machine, recipe card "box," family message board, countdown calendar, etc.

Reactions: Ben J. and Lioness~

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I just sold my iPad Air 3 on eBay for $250. Decent money for a night out on the town.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.