Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I have just acquired this from a friend of my dads. He had no idea what it was and had picked it up as scrap.
It has an apple layout keyboard and an apple logo fixed into the case (not stuck on).
I have cracked it open and found it has a Macintosh plus motherboard and screen plus a hard drive and power converter to 240v.
It looks professionally built so don't think it's a diy project. I have searched google but can't find anything close to it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 354
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 348

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I'm going out on a limb here. I suspect it's a DIY case, probably sold through the miles of ads in the back of computer magazines back in the late 1980's, where you provide your own CRT, motherboard, PSU, keyboard etc.

The fitted motherboard appears to be a 1990 Week 12.

The side walls of the case seem to be racking type (easy to procure).

Are there no other labels or markings?

What does the rear of the case look like?

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
No other markings that I can see
180f69ad0fb11908001b208c0aa27efb.jpg
this is the back view.
[doublepost=1455317021][/doublepost]the screen is 9" so I'm assuming its the original screen from the macintosh.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Interesting. It certainly is unique.

Only one serial port on the back and a brightness control.

I'm sure I've seen those hinges on the keyboard before.

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
it does seem a bit odd. i thought when i first saw a photo of it that it was just something that someone had put an apple sticker on but on closer inspection i noticed the apple keyboard. the badge is fitted in the case as though it should always be there and not added afterwards.
i thought it could be an apple engineers unit for onsite use maybe??
its pretty clean inside, i haven't powered it up yet so not sure if it works.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Please do power it on, I'd love to see what it is running. It's really quite unique! the markings on the inside are weird though, a little checkbox sorta shows that multiple were made (maybe not by Apple, but by a largish company). Has it got a serial number?

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
no nothing visible, the only markings are on the separate boards, the hard drive is a seagate and its huge, probably only about 5mb capacity though lol.
heres a few more photos

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Ok just plug the power lead in and yes it powers on. Fans spinning hard drive clicking and screen on (flickering and distorted). But after 10 seconds or so it trips my circuit breaker. Rest the breaker and again it comes on but trips again after 10 seconds or so. I have switched off the power converter on the top right which seems to control the power for the screen. But it again trips out.
Any ideas as to what I could do ??

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Isolated the hard drive and floppy, still trips the breaker. Disconnected 2nd power supply that powers the hard drive and floppy. Still trips

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Ah I was looking at the capacitors on the motherboard not the power board. I'll have a look at it. How easy are the capacitors to buy. The battery has leaked but there is minimal corrosion. Does it need that battery to work correctly or is just for remembering the settings?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Ah I was looking at the capacitors on the motherboard not the power board. I'll have a look at it. How easy are the capacitors to buy. The battery has leaked but there is minimal corrosion. Does it need that battery to work correctly or is just for remembering the settings?
The Capacitors are fairly easy to buy, but as pointed out in the other threads, they are safety rated components so I wouldn't get them from auction sites.

The battery maintains date & time, cursor blink rate, startup disk setting and a few others, but a missing battery will not prevent it from powering up and running. The original batteries are a 4.5V alkaline and are near impossible to get hold of. Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed about the battery.

If you can give a location, I can try to suggest a local vendor for the capacitors. The other thread has the basic specs you'll need, and since you also have the 240V version, the parts are the same.

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I'm in the uk. How can I tell which ones need replacing or would it be best to just change them all?

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll just need to try and find some now.

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
No, Leeds is about 4 hours away. I will have a look on RS components web site and see if they do them. Any idea of where I can find some part numbers?

Gottsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
I've just ordered from the first site. Just £5 and free delivery.
I'll get these fitted and go from there.
Still would like to know more about where it came from though. Once I can get it booted up I might find some more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.