Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Right, my new iMac has just been picked up from the docks in Cork, so should be here in a few days :) I'm going to be setting it up with a network with my current Windows PL, but I've got no idea what I need.

I'm going to need to split an internet connection and have the two computers to exchange files too. It'll have to be wired as the Windows box doesn't have any wireless card or anything.

I can do the bits on the computer, theres a guide on this site, but I don't know what hardware I needed. I've got no idea. I've got some money to pop up to PC World and pick the bits up, but I'm not asking them as they really have no idea what they are on about most the time and try and sell you junk you don't need.

Could someone give me a quick list of what I'll need and what to look for when I buy it? It would be a great help, and most likely save me money.

Applespider

macrumors G4
You can still get a wireless router - just make sure that it's got a wired port (most have) so that your PC can connect to it via USB/ethernet (whichever it has - ethernet being easiest). That will give you a little more flexibility with where you put your iMac. If you really don't want it wireless, then you'll need a router with two wired LAN ports - an ethernet one is a must for your Mac since it's so much easier than trying to encourage it to work with USB.

If your internet access is using ADSL, you'll need to make sure that it's an ADSL modem router that you get (many are these days so shouldn't be a problem)

Then you just need to follow the various guides to enable file sharing on both PC and Mac. Good luck and enjoy your new iMac.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Applespider said:
You can still get a wireless router - just make sure that it's got a wired port (most have) so that your PC can connect to it via USB/ethernet (whichever it has - ethernet being easiest). That will give you a little more flexibility with where you put your iMac. If you really don't want it wireless, then you'll need a router with two wired LAN ports - an ethernet one is a must for your Mac since it's so much easier than trying to encourage it to work with USB.

If your internet access is using ADSL, you'll need to make sure that it's an ADSL modem router that you get (many are these days so shouldn't be a problem)

Then you just need to follow the various guides to enable file sharing on both PC and Mac. Good luck and enjoy your new iMac.
I didn't know that you could get a wireless router that had ports, I'll look into one of them. How much should I be paying for one of them? Going by your location, you're in London (I think, it's been ages since I've used things like that) so a price in £?

I do have ADSL for the internet.

Thanks.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Kimi said:
I didn't know that you could get a wireless router that had ports, I'll look into one of them. How much should I be paying for one of them? Going by your location, you're in London (I think, it's been ages since I've used things like that) so a price in £?

I do have ADSL for the internet.

Thanks.
Well I am just going to make a comment about the router that I got. it is a Linksys Wireless-b Router model number befw11s4. I got it at Best Buy for 5 USD. However if you are dong massive file transfer i would suggets to match the type of wireless to the mac. If it is 802.11G (which i would guess that it has), you should get a 802.11G router. If the mac is only for the internet then 802.11B is OK. Most internet is below 11mb/s, and that is the 802.11B standard(the 11mb). But transfering files from computer to computer you will want a faster wireless or to connect the mac to the router. You can make the mac a file server, and the router will give you a 10/100MB tranfer. the router will split the internet connection but it will be hardwired.

So for wireless
one router "B" or "G"
one ethernet cable from PC to Router(don't know if you have)

For just a router( hard wire only)
the router (they can be cheep, same as above "B" or "G")
two ethernet cables (one from pc to router, and one from mac to router)

I know the hardwire router way works that is how we have our local system setup, however it sounds like you want to go with the router(wireless). The router I listed has 5 ports(hard wire) and one internet in. I can conncet 5 computers(hard wire) + the wireless capasity for 5.
Wireless is easy to setup but makesure it is secure!!
Hardwire is just as easy but then turn off the wireless(if it has it)

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Thanks jocool5. I'll go for the 802.11g, the faster the better :).

Also, once I've got my Mac set up a bit I'm going to be moving about 80gig of files to it (I got the extra hard disc up-grade for this reason). It's mostly videos and music with other things droped in. Will it be any quicker to use a cable to move them or would the wireless be the same speed?

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
not to sound like i know everythink networking but theoreticaly hardwire should be faster. If you do wireless g you are gaing to be able to sent/recieve at 125 Mb/s and I do beleieve that cat 5e is 100Mb/s. but keep in mind that you are connecting you computer to a cat 5e cable so no matterwhat you get 100Mb/s. I see no difference. Good luck on the transfer!
Joe

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Kimi said:
Thanks jocool5. I'll go for the 802.11g, the faster the better :).

Also, once I've got my Mac set up a bit I'm going to be moving about 80gig of files to it (I got the extra hard disc up-grade for this reason). It's mostly videos and music with other things droped in. Will it be any quicker to use a cable to move them or would the wireless be the same speed?

80 Gigs is going to take a looooonnngggg time on both wired and wireless. Have you considered an external hard drive instead?

Or, if your PC has Firewire, you can link the mac and the PC together using that to transfer files.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Yes either way 80GB is a long time however you do need to relize that the Hd option leaves two steps, also the splitting of the internet was the inital intent of my reply. Firewire 400 or 800 clock in respectivly at 400Mb/s and 800Mb/s. This is faster than eithernet? Could be but firewire is like a single twisted pair as cat 5e is two. I have never put the firewire verses the cat 5e. Has anyone? and we are not talking about using a router in this case full utilization of a crossover cable.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
I can't do the external HDD because I don't have one. I'm going to get one, but not untill I need it. I'm going to be importing my DVD box sets onto my Mac over time, I'll be getting a one when I'm running out of space. Chanses are it'll be a internal one with a case for it (It's cheeper doing that isn't it?). It will be ages as I'm working on other things and I want to play about a lot.

I've got a firewire cable somewhere, which I'm going need to use as I've not get the router yet. I'm going to set it going when I go off to school and see what it's like when I come back. I could go and get it tonight though, gotta get a few things anyways, but I've get exams soon that I really need to work for.

On a side note, there was a UPS van in my street driving off when I was coming home. Open my door and on the floor that was a note saying that they had tried ot deliver my iMac :mad: Missed them by a few seconds... I've got no lessons tomarow so I'll be getting it then :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.