Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
What do u guys use to clean Powerbooks? Im scared to use a paper towel, cuz im scared itll ruin by beautiful surface on my powerbook?? any suggestions??? :confused: :confused:

miseldine

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
I use iKlear, which is what the Apple tech support people use.

Its the only product I've used that cleans and doesn't leave any residue, including on the screen.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i use iKlear with a microfiber cloth, such as what an expensive pair of sunglasses are stored inside of.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
70% Ethanol and Kimwipes. Works well. I think iKlear is just dilute isoproyl alcohol (as most smooth surface cleaners are), so I don't think I'm too far off.

Jim

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I use Clean Dr. from my local office supply store. It is alcohol and ammonia free and comes with a microfiber cloth. Works great on my iBook.

This is how I use it.
1. Have the iBook be cool (ie not running for a while/after a while in sleep mode)
2. I spray cleaner on the microfiber cloth and clean the top. Flip cloth to dry side and dry.
3. Spray cleaner on microfiber cloth and open iBook and clean screen then dry.
4. Clean keyboard/trackpad area with wet/damp side and dry.

Thats it. Do it like 2-3 times per week and keeps iBook in excellent condition

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I just use a 50% concentration isopropanol solution and a paper towel. Its cheap and it works. I've used it on the screen a few times, but that probably isn't a very good idea. Just plain water will work on the screen if you dry it off. Unless you like to throw a few metal shavings and sand into your paper towels, they should be fine to use on your powerbook. There is no way that paper could scratch aluminum/titamium.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
drake said:
Have u tried putting it in the dishwasher? :D
yea i have but my mom got confused and served food on it and gave it to my dad, but i got it just in time b4 he starting cutting his steak...

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
drake said:
Have u tried putting it in the dishwasher? :D

As soon as that is concluded, don't forget the listing on eBay with the following subject line:

PowerBook for sale -- Clean machine ... sparkling OS!

That should satisfy the truth-in-advertising laws. :)

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
jim. said:
70% Ethanol and Kimwipes. Works well. I think iKlear is just dilute isoproyl alcohol (as most smooth surface cleaners are), so I don't think I'm too far off.

Jim

Actually, no. One of the selling points of iKlear is that it's completely alcohol free. In other words, it won't take the anti-glare coating off your LCD (as anything alcohol based would do).

iKnear all the way. Get the $20 bottle, which comes with a micro-fiber cloth. It'll last you a year with bi-monthly cleanings.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
So is iKlear the same as Monster's iClean?

I've been reluctant to use a screen cleaner on the rest of my pbook.

Would it be ok to use iClean?
Some iclarification would be great.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Cloudgazer said:

I thought iKlear and iClean was made by the same company - but maybe Im wrong. I just bought I pack from iKlear and im very very impressed with it. I use it on the screen, keyboard and case. I recommend it. Makes my PB look like new.

Edit: This is what I bought iKlear Apple Polishing Kit I probably wouln't recommend buying the same because the bottle is damn huge. It is going to last me years - 700 applications apparently :eek: So unless u have a number of screens to clean buy a smaller bottle

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
inlimbo said:
I thought iKlear and iClean was made by the same company - but maybe Im wrong. I just bought I pack from iKlear and im very very impressed with it. I use it on the screen, keyboard and case. I recommend it. Makes my PB look like new.

iClean and iKlear are not the same product.
I also never realised there was a difference, hence my question.

My bottle of iClean is also huge, gonna last me a lifetime, unless i start a laptop cleaning business

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
tfaz1 said:
Actually, no. One of the selling points of iKlear is that it's completely alcohol free. In other words, it won't take the anti-glare coating off your LCD (as anything alcohol based would do).

iKnear all the way. Get the $20 bottle, which comes with a micro-fiber cloth. It'll last you a year with bi-monthly cleanings.
Ah yes, I didn't think about the copolymer on the screen. I was just referring to what I used to clean splotches off the aluminum body. I am hesitant to think that a low dilution of alcohol would take out a polymer quickly. Most polymers require a very concentrated (or even pure) alcohol for clean dissolution, and even then it takes more time than one typically spends wiping a screen.

So yeah, alcohols can be bad for the screen. Definitely stay away from detergents and basic cleaning supplies (ammonia will etch that plastic like it is nothing).

I wonder what solvent iKlear would use? Their MSDS is less than informative.
Maybe it is a dilute weak acid. Do you have to wipe it off after you put it on? Since it has no alcohol in the base solution, I would guess that it would evaporate slowly.

Jim

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
jim. said:
Ah yes, I didn't think about the copolymer on the screen. I was just referring to what I used to clean splotches off the aluminum body. I am hesitant to think that a low dilution of alcohol would take out a polymer quickly. Most polymers require a very concentrated (or even pure) alcohol for clean dissolution, and even then it takes more time than one typically spends wiping a screen.

So yeah, alcohols can be bad for the screen. Definitely stay away from detergents and basic cleaning supplies (ammonia will etch that plastic like it is nothing).

I wonder what solvent iKlear would use? Their MSDS is less than informative.
Maybe it is a dilute weak acid. Do you have to wipe it off after you put it on? Since it has no alcohol in the base solution, I would guess that it would evaporate slowly.

Jim

IMO, I doubt IKlear would use a weak acid, my guess is a base with a pH9+.

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
Cloudgazer said:

When I asked at the Apple store what I should use to clean my PB screen, the guy gave me iClean and told me I could/should use it on the entire PB. I think he even said that's what they were using at the Genius bar. I have been using it, and it seems to work just fine and hasn't caused any problems. It seems to do a pretty nice job getting the smudges off the aluminum, and the cat hair off the screen :p

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
an extra fine brillo pad, gives it the fresh from the factory brushed look!!

but seriously, i use a damp paper towel or some diluted simple green and water on the papwer towel. then promptly dry it off. works pretty well!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
wPod said:
an extra fine brillo pad, gives it the fresh from the factory brushed look!!

but seriously, i use a damp paper towel or some diluted simple green and water on the papwer towel. then promptly dry it off. works pretty well!

"The horror, the horror."

If you use diluted Simple Green you're far braver than I. Something about my laptop smelling like a cleaned toilet bowl just seems wrong.

I guess some people use paper towels. You might as well use a tissue or something. A good microfiber cloth is dust-free, can be washed, lasts a long time, and is about $20. It also does a much better job than a paper towel without damaging the surface. And if you use paper towels on the screen, well, there is just no hope for you. :eek:

They have a very good product here that puts even the iKlear microfiber cloth to shame, and protects your keyboard when not in use... I have two of em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.