Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
I want to upgrade my 2014 macbook pro to another macbook pro next year (either 13" or 14") but there are two things stopping me now: The notch on the 14" and the touchbar on the 13".

Do you think Apple will remove the touchbar from 13" too? since they removed it in the 14"?

I dont know what they are going to do with that notch on the 14", how likely they will remove it? I really hate the notch on my iPhone :(

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
they won't remove it, it will probably stick around for 2 more iterations, they might shrink it a little or make it an island like the 14 pro but that area of the screen is going to be reserved for a notch or notch like space.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
they won't remove it, it will probably stick around for 2 more iterations, they might shrink it a little or make it an island like the 14 pro but that area of the screen is going to be reserved for a notch or notch like space.
Agreed, but I think it'll be there for more than two generations. Apple decided to maximize their screen real estate, which means the camera needs a window. The mobile devices might eventually manage to get some critical functions behind the display, but the MacBooks won't. The mobile devices have some thickness because the display is on top of the component stack. Putting cameras and sensors behind the MB display would make the entire lid thicker and most of that volume, where the notch currently isn't, would be wasted.

Personally, I think the notch was the right decision, but to each their own. I prefer the extra screen space, even if it meant investing in Bartender to manage my menubar items.

I don't understand all the hate for the touchbar, but it will go away when the 13" case gets redesigned. Apple won't want to keep supporting that hardware and software stack on only part of their line.

Reactions: ilikewhey

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Agreed, but I think it'll be there for more than two generations. Apple decided to maximize their screen real estate, which means the camera needs a window. The mobile devices might eventually manage to get some critical functions behind the display, but the MacBooks won't. The mobile devices have some thickness because the display is on top of the component stack. Putting cameras and sensors behind the MB display would make the entire lid thicker and most of that volume, where the notch currently isn't, would be wasted.

Personally, I think the notch was the right decision, but to each their own. I prefer the extra screen space, even if it meant investing in Bartender to manage my menubar items.
honestly i don't even feel like its there anymore since i'm so used to it at this point. that middle part of the top screen was never utilized by me from the get go so nothing is lost.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I do not mind the notch at all on my machine; dont even notice it. Do you think as Continuity Camera matures, and more devices in the wild support it, Apple may do away with a camera on the Mac laptops? I personally wouldnt mind as I never use the camera on my systems.

LA_Surfer

Suspended
Mar 17, 2021
I want to upgrade my 2014 macbook pro to another macbook pro next year (either 13" or 14") but there are two things stopping me now: The notch on the 14" and the touchbar on the 13".

Do you think Apple will remove the touchbar from 13" too? since they removed it in the 14"?

I dont know what they are going to do with that notch on the 14", how likely they will remove it? I really hate the notch on my iPhone :(
if you dont like the notch go buy a PC i mean it really isnt even noticeable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's nothing "to think" about a 2023 MBP because it doesn't exist yet.

And yes, the notch WILL be there.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.