Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsMeMicke

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2022
I have been looking at Aqara products lately. Cameras, hubs and sensors are pretty cheap. Aqara cameras support Apple Secure Video.

What do you guys think of Aqara? Is privacy a concern? If I use Homekit I should be good?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Aqara supports Homekit Secure Video, which means that the camera stream is end-to-end encrypted. This encryption is designed and processed by Apple, not by Aqara. Even if Aqara wanted to monitor your camera stream, it couldn't access any of it. So in a sense it doesn't matter if Aqara is trustworthy or not on that front

Reactions: ItsMeMicke

ItsMeMicke

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2022
Aqara supports Homekit Secure Video, which means that the camera stream is end-to-end encrypted. This encryption is designed and processed by Apple, not by Aqara. Even if Aqara wanted to monitor your camera stream, it couldn't access any of it. So in a sense it doesn't matter if Aqara is trustworthy or not on that front

Ok, that is great! I wonder if the hub talks to Aqara servers even when using Homekit? It should not do that I hope 😀

What if Aqara creates another video stream which they can view. All these privacy concerns is making me crazy lol

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Get rid of the internet completely if you’re obsessing over privacy. Nothing is guaranteed to be 💯 private when living in a connected world. Not even Apple products are exempt from this.

ItsMeMicke

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2022
Get rid of the internet completely if you’re obsessing over privacy. Nothing is guaranteed to be 💯 private when living in a connected world. Not even Apple products are exempt from this.
Hehe that is a great idea 😄 Apple is not perfect, but it is the company i trust the most 😋

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hehe that is a great idea 😄 Apple is not perfect, but it is the company i trust the most 😋
I can tell ya that Aqara products are super fast and reliable… and competitively priced. I have them everywhere in my house.

As far as the privacy goes? Nah I don’t trust them as far as I can throw their products. Same goes for Apple, for me and anything else internet based. You always see articles pop up in tech news regarding big name products and security breaches/privacy issues. Ring, Eufy, LastPass, Apple HomePods and Siri (yes, this was thing) to name a few.

But I understand this going into it. I really don’t care if Aqara knows how many times my front door opened, or when Amazon delivers a box to my front door or my neighbor rang the doorbell asking me if I heard the loud bang last night. I don’t care if they know where my TV is in my living room or if my kitchen sink sprung a leak. My home is not some sort of Top Secret government underground fortress lol.

And if they get glimpse of my arse while I’m getting a glass of water at 3am, that’s on them. If they don’t like it, they’re welcome to change the channel 😁.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.