Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I am just curious. I don't think I will get one because it's first gen anyway, but I wonder what I could practically use it for. I don't like how bulky it looks.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I am trying to incorporate it into my productivity but find myself working at a slower and unfocused rate. Still love it tho, seriously Apple needs to make this as functional as a Mac.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I use mine for watching video content such as movies and TV. I have a fairly nice home theater but the headset has replaced it. I have not turned on the TV in my living room since I got it. However, I don't use it when in bed because it's too much hassle. I will simply use the TV in my bedroom.

I have a large monitor connected to my MBP so I generally don't use the AVP for general computing purposes. I have worn the headset in my living room while leaving the MBP in my office, only bringing my keyboard and trackpad, and trying to use the computer with a large virtual screen while sitting on the sofa. Even though I am not far away from the computer (through a wall), it seems to disconnect often enough that it's not worth the effort. This is unfortunate as I would like to be able to use it in this way - effectively having a large monitor floating in front of me while I am sitting in my living room. Maybe in future updates the remote connectivity will be more stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: swiftapplefan

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Those video memes like the guy typing on a virtual keyboard or something etc... are they real? Can you actually do work with these devices?

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Those video memes like the guy typing on a virtual keyboard or something etc... are they real? Can you actually do work with these devices?
Yes, you can do work. I did about 6 hours of work on Friday in it. I primarily deal in Word Docs and Spreadsheets.

Could I work with just the on-device keyboard? No. A keyboard and, to a lesser extent, trackpad are essential for typical office work.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Yes, you can do work. I did about 6 hours of work on Friday in it. I primarily deal in Word Docs and Spreadsheets.

Could I work with just the on-device keyboard? No. A keyboard and, to a lesser extent, trackpad are essential for typical office work.
Does it not hurt the eyes if you use it for hours at a time?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Web surfing, watching videos, taking videos now (pretty cool on that!), work! Cool thing about it is if I want, can set the windows up around me and interact with them. So instead of being stuck sitting down like I have been (no standing desk at home), I can now stand and work if that's what I want to do.

Apps used for productivity - Word, Excel, Outlook, Safari, Edge (mainly work related). Watched some shows, movies, etc.

Gotten used to wearing it around people too. And believe me, they don't mind interacting with me when I have it on!

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

I can say it doesn't hurt mine. I've used it hours at a time, practically working whole days with it. Some things I still need to do on the laptop (Win10) like present in Teams meetings (or need to be on camera). Funny thing is, I miss seeing the windows around me when I do that.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Nope. I did work my way up to using it for 2+ hours in a row based on something I read from someone with lots of experience with a Meta Quest.

To be clear - I didn’t do 6+ hours straight. Was more like on for one hour, took it off for an on-camera meeting, then on for 2 hours and 15 minutes, then took it off for lunch, then on for 45 minutes, then off for another meeting, then back on for an hour and a half to finish the day.

This absolutely would have been too much on day one. But I’ve gotten better about learning how to put it on for maximum comfort, and my face has gotten more used to having something on.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
It doesn’t have to be a Mac, give me a stable mirroring from Nac, and iPad Pro. I am not planning to get AVP now, but I am closely watching my friends who are using AVP. It’s a first gen Product, and as expected some of the issues need to be tweaked. I would love to be able to take multiple screens with me on my travels.

Reactions: Macaholic868

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Does it feel heavy when you use it?
YMMV. I get a migraine within an hour of using it no matter which strap or use or how I get it adjusted. Conversely, I've owned the Oculus Rift Dev Kit 1, DK2, Original Rift, HTC Vive, Quest 1, Go, 2, and 3. None of them have ever given me a headache. The AVP I guess just crosses some threshold on how much pressure can be applied to my face before I get a headache, which is the reason for returning it. It's awesome. I just wish it weighed half as much or less. Alternatively, Apple could come up with a strap that more evenly distributes the weight and eliminates pressure points. I hate that I had to look for DIY and 3d printed solutions to make a $4k product not give me migraines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.