Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I'm currently using a 1.33GHz iBook G4 as my main laptop computer and I'm thinking about getting something a bit better, such as a PowerBook. I don't think I want to go with the 1.67GHz, as those are a little pricey when compared to other PPC laptops. What do you recommend for a low-cost, fast laptop for running Leopard?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Keep checking your local craigs and if ad's have been up for a while,go low!

I just picked up a vnc 17" 1.67,512 ram (will ug to 2 g) 100 gig hd for $50 cdn.

If however this was my main computer I would look for at least a macbook core 2 duo running snow leopard.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm currently using a 1.33GHz iBook G4 as my main laptop computer and I'm thinking about getting something a bit better, such as a PowerBook. I don't think I want to go with the 1.67GHz, as those are a little pricey when compared to other PPC laptops. What do you recommend for a low-cost, fast laptop for running Leopard?
If you're looking for inexpensive but capable I'd find a middle of the road 15" Aluminum PB and max the ram to 2GB.

Those Macs are capable and do very well having been Apple's midrange model for a couple of years.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Keep checking your local craigs and if ad's have been up for a while,go low!

I just picked up a vnc 17" 1.67,512 ram (will ug to 2 g) 100 gig hd for $50 cdn.

If however this was my main computer I would look for at least a macbook core 2 duo running snow leopard.
This isn't my main computer, my main is a PowerMac G5. I'm just looking for a laptop to use when I'm not at my PowerMac. You sure got a great deal on the 1.67GHz! Unfortunately Macs are almost never sold on Craigslist where I live.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
My experience with Powerbooks/iBooks in this range is that there can be little between them as they can tend to be a delicate balance of hardware variance and software preference.

I have a 17" DLSD and last year had the 15" too at the same time - even though they benchmark identically, the 17" seems miles ahead.
I have a 1.33 12" Powerbook, last year I had the 1.5 version too - the 1.33 always seemed faster, despite the illogic of that.

I don't think there's any guarantee with this class of hardware now, after all, despite what I've said about the 17" DLSD, there's users on the forum that aren't happy with theirs.

I'd consider an Intel before shelling out or just bide your time for a bargain....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I may just stay with my iBook then. Even if the processor speed is the same, what are the advantages of a PowerBook over an iBook?
I can't really answer that. I have assumptions but I'm probably wrong on them. The reason I cannot answer that is because I have never liked the iBook design. It's always been the PowerBook for me. Since I don't really use them I never bother to really check them out when I have one.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Even if the processor speed is the same, what are the advantages of a PowerBook over an iBook?
Backlit keyboard (on most 15 & 17) PCMCIA port (15 & 17 only), audio line input, better GPU.

I have a 1.33 12" iBook and Powerbook - the main difference is the Powerbook has slightly better video playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.