Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello my fellow Apple-savvy people..!

The last week I was seeing again the official 2017 WWDC video feed.Being a user involved in numerical simulations, higher CPU taxing uses (as computational chemistry calculations) and not using a lot of graphic power, but needing a lot of storage and fast I/O operations what do you think that will more useful: The current Mac Pro with a 8-core 3.0 GHz Xeon and a 1TB SSD, a or a iMac Pro with the 8-core option and 4 TB SSD?

Thanks in advance for let me know your toughts!.....:)...:eek:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

The last week I was seeing again the official 2017 WWDC video feed.Being a user involved in numerical simulations, higher CPU taxing uses (as computational chemistry calculations) and not using a lot of graphic power, but needing a lot of storage and fast I/O operations what do you think that will more useful: The current Mac Pro with a 8-core 3.0 GHz Xeon and a 1TB SSD, a or a iMac Pro with the 8-core option and 4 TB SSD?

The iMac Pro does not exist (and possibly may never exist), so therefore it is useless in any comparison.

Get a Z-series. Unless you need more than 44 physical/88 logical cores.

If you need CPU or GPU power, why would you even be looking at Apples?

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The iMac Pro does not exist (and possibly may never exist), so therefore it is useless in any comparison.

Get a Z-series. Unless you need more than 44 physical/88 logical cores.

If you need CPU or GPU power, why would you even be looking at Apples?

Do you think Apple would announce the iMac pro and have it on their site then not release it? It would be a major embarrassment which I can't see happening.

I agree though if you need cores and / or GPU get a PC.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Do you think Apple would announce the iMac pro and have it on their site then not release it? It would be a major embarrassment which I can't see happening.
I'm sure that they'll stick a "Pro" label on some iMac - but it might not be the same as the system that's been pre-announced.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I'm sure that they'll stick a "Pro" label on some iMac - but it might not be the same as the system that's been pre-announced.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

i think you might be a little too cautious about this one.
it's not as if they made a preview announcement earlier this year, said some specs, then that's the last we've heard and are just left in limbo..

the iMac page isn't just a 'coming soon' splash... they have all the marketing 'overview' section in place as well as the 'tech specs' portion.

the only thing not in place is the 'buy me' button instead of the 'notify me' button.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States

Of course no one can answer that until the iMP is released, but probably the only thing that might be an issue with the iMP is how well it handles sustained full-load on the CPU (and GPU for those that need it).

For how long do your computations run? i.e. typically measured in minutes, hours or days? Do you kind of need a new Mac now and are trying to determine whether you should really wait, or are you just looking to chat about it in anticipation of its release? Would the 2013 MP be a significant improvement over your current workstation (the 2012?)? If your computation software is mostly multi-threaded, probably best to stick with what you have until the iMP is released as the 2013 MP probably wouldn't be a huge improvement strictly on multi-threaded (CPU-bound) computational work over what you have.

i think you might be a little too cautious about this one.
it's not as if they made a preview announcement earlier this year, said some specs, then that's the last we've heard and are just left in limbo...
Of course nothing to do with caution - he's just here to bash Apple as usual and steer people towards HP Z workstations.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Of course no one can answer that until the iMP is released, but probably the only thing that might be an issue with the iMP is how well it handles sustained full-load on the CPU (and GPU for those that need it).

For how long do your computations run? i.e. typically measured in minutes, hours or days? Do you kind of need a new Mac now and are trying to determine whether you should really wait, or are you just looking to chat about it in anticipation of its release? Would the 2013 MP be a significant improvement over your current workstation (the 2012?)? If your computation software is mostly multi-threaded, probably best to stick with what you have until the iMP is released as the 2013 MP probably wouldn't be a huge improvement strictly on multi-threaded (CPU-bound) computational work over what you have.

Of course nothing to do with caution - he's just here to bash Apple as usual and steer people towards HP Z workstations.
The calculations made by me can take hours. But I do also Folding for days sometimes.. And yes, I am in the process of moving from my 2012 workstation because it is showing her age.

appleakak

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017

If you can wait and don't mind the extra cost i think imac pro will be much faster. I have almost fully configured mac pro 2013 and it is slightly faster than my laptop. So I am not exactly enthused by it.

Reactions: phoenixsan

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
They won't be competitors, so there won't be a "battle." (The title is mostly just bait.)

However, since I'm taking the bait: The iMac Pro, in almost any configuration, will be faster than any equivalent as well as many or most "better" configurations of the nMP (at least as long as it doesn't throttle).

Personally, I'm not getting one. Even a base iMac (non-pro) is already noisy enough sitting 18" from my head, never mind something using 2-4 times as much power. My "desktops" go in a separate room. I remain curious about the mMP, though.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
OP, as already stated, this absolutely depends on how long your calculations take. Some operations will make your MBP throttle in a matter of minutes, if not seconds. Password hash cracking is one of them. A lowly quad core nMP with d300s will laugh at any MBP under any sustained cracking loads due to thermal throttling of the laptops. Never mind a 12 core with d700s that can run at full tilt for weeks on end.

Yeah I know video people have had issues, but I crank mine 24/7. With the latest versions of hash cat - no problems.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for your answers, Mac fellows. But I am still pondering what way to take. I really like the current Mac Pro, albeit outdated. I dont know for sure how some issues will work out. Heat dissipation is a thing to consider for me in the iMac Pro. I dont need the big screen or SuperRetina or wharever Apple uses to describe the screen in the iMac Pro. But, I will like the raw power on the CPU, as shown in the sneek peek. And then, saving money would be great. I suppose the best thing to do is wait and see how the things work out in real world. Toughts?

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
Is more aimed at the studio, that buys a 100 - 1000,
dumps them in 3 years. Buys 100 - 1000 of the next iMac Pro

It will be much faster than any nMP.

For a freelancer/consumer out of warrenty/applecare ... if one thing breaks It will probaly cost lots.
A lot of Imacs die in 5 years ... Mac Pro's less so ...
Macbook pro's some can also die a lot faster, the soldered battery,
My 15" G4 will probably outlive any soldered battery mac.

My Macbook Pro fried ... something Nvidea and thermal paste or something.
( It was the model that looked like the G4 ).

The G4 is now pretty useless, exept it has the best apple notebook keyboard for me.
For writing novels, It's still good machine.

My cMP 1,1 is still very capable. It has been running for over 10 years.
My cMP 3,1 has some annoyances, 4K solo boot, USB 3 ...
It crushes my faster air, in PS, medium format, ram and scratch drives.
Even if my maxed out Air, on the processor side is faster at least in single core ( PS ).
My nMP is pretty new, but I guess It won't fry itself.

My Maxed out Macbook Air that I love, one day battery will kill It.

Imac's, usually don't have a very long life if you are a power user.

You can clean a mac pro or a new mac pro.
Harder to get dust, and fluff out of an Imac.
If you are lucky It could work for twenty years, but the newer macs ... glued etc ...
are less likely to work 20 years later I guess.

For the long run, Mac Pro's are probably a better choise,
if you can find a use for it ... home theater pc, server, whatever ...

Imacs, I know a lot of people with Imacs that are broken ... mobo ... graphics ... I dno

Imac Pro ... would not be surprised if they die faster, but some do live on and on and on ...

My Unibody Macbook, had to endure severe torture, It still works perfect.
The same use killed my Macbook Pro, lot of power use, fans were always on etc ...

Some have more luck, I have friends, less heavy users, and half of their macs died within 7 years.
Except for the macbook pro ... none of my macs ever died.

Maybe It's just because I always work on more than one.
A mac pro and a macbook pro/macbook air.

But my Mac Pro's have been on, not sleep mode for times surpassing weeks or months ...

If you have a 2012 Mac Pro showing It's age, put a pci express SSD in it.
Unless you have 4TB of PCIe SSD.
Or a SATA SSD, is already another world. If you have a spinner, my 3.1 feels probably a lot snappier.

Mac Pro 2012 is the most future proof macs,
It can take the better graphic cards
You can put 6 spinners in it, PCIe SSD.
eSata. USB 3.0.
If your mobo fails or something, just buy an ebay deal, no hdd, low ram, low graphics,
just the xeons you need want, dual trace ...
and put all the upgrades in that machine.
It can be made faster than the 2013 I guess ... I have a nMP but don't know how far you can take that, It is more expensive anyway to make a monster out of a nMP than a 2012.

I only bought the nMP, for "silence" and "mobility", normal USB, normal 4K
If I were to spend on a tower, It would be Z.
Or a bargain 5.1 ... but there are less bargains atm ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

Based on your workflow, is macOS something you need? Unless the programs you use are macoS-specific, realistically you'd probably be better off buying regular hardware or a more modern system from someone else, as based on your requirements, Apple don't really do a machine that suits you.

If macOS is a must, then the next question is, how long can you wait?
  • If it's essential now, and your workflow is heavily multi-threaded, get the current 12-Core Mac Pro, lowest end GPU, 1Tb SSD, and look at Thunderbolt external storage arrays,
  • If you can wait until December, see what the iMac Pro has to offer. If it only comes with Vega though, you're wasting your money a little if that's not something you'd be using. Again, you'd also need to waste a lot of money buying an external TB2 storage device.
  • If you can wait longer, the MacPro7,1 should be released soon(tm), and will probably be more worth your money, unless this also is bundled with only high-end GPUs.. which don't help you.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

It seems the answer is very clear...

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello again Mac fellows!

Based in your comments and some research I have done, I think I can go with the 2013 Mac Pro model, with 8 cores, 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD storage. In terms of Geekbench scores it is pretty similar to my aging Mac Pro. But I have to consider buying an external DVD burner (Yes, I still use that technology), an adapter for my FireWire peripherals and maybe a Thunderbolt cable. I will wait to upgrade the RAM to 64 GB (RAM in my current machine). I got an offer for my Mac Pro worth $ 1800.00, so I dont need to use a lot of extra money. But I am open to suggestions/opinions/ideas. Feel free to give me your toughts. Thanks again in advance...!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello again!

Pondering about my last post, I think that if stay in this course, I will get an updated Pro, with lower specs that the one I currently have. But I am a little tired of beachballs, noise and a meaningful quantity of heat coming from the machine in some situations. Plus I have a firm offer in my current Pro, despite the "funny" comment above. So, the options come to:

1-Execute my reasoning right now
2-Wait to the iMac Pro launch and see how that new offer from Apple works out

Thanks again for all the input and helpful comments. If any can get advice based on my dilemma or make helpful comments, I welcome that!...

;):eek::confused:

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
You haven’t actually said you specifically need a Mac for your work though? If you don’t, I’d seriously consider a Threadripper-based system, or wait and see what intels 8xxx series are like.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
You haven’t actually said you specifically need a Mac for your work though? If you don’t, I’d seriously consider a Threadripper-based system, or wait and see what intels 8xxx series are like.

Well, I haven´t said why I need to use a Mac, as you noted. But the motive is because the software I have bought was the Mac versions. I have also a decent list of Firewire peripherals . Why I a become a Mac user in first place? That is a long history. I dont like the prospect of have to use two machines. But you have a point here: Maybe I can move to an Air, for example and do serious work in a Threadripper system. Nice and intriguing....:cool:;):rolleyes:

Reactions: Draeconis

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
The maximum heat output of a well-specified nMP and an iMac Pro is similar. However, my fear is that the fans on the iMac Pro will nevertheless be considerably louder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.