Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplelD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Auburn, WA
OV Valet is a key fob with the ability to transmit payment info at the point of sale in stores via contactless payment, it also works at MORE places than Apple Pay does because in addition to NFC, it includes the technology called MST... best known for its inclusion in Samsung Pay until the 2021 models released.

Assuming this product ever worked with Apple Card/Cash in the future, your other cards too... would you like the idea of not even having to take out your phone to pay anymore since this works regardless if the seller has a card reader that supports and HAS NFC enabled or not? the Apple Card is my main card and if it were to ever work with OV Valet, the fact that it doesn't require NFC to make a payment in stores would effectively get me 2% Daily Cash minimum nearly everywhere I went...

right now, lack of support for Apple Card/Cash is the only issue I see with this product as I'm a cardholder for both cards... it has proper security for all other supported issuers by only transmitting a one time use card number whenever the button is pressed so I wouldn't worry about that personally...

Attachments

• 20210805_215137.jpg
    20210805_215137.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 123

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
A product like this would not even enter consideration for me. Considering what I currently carry to cover all of my payment needs while out and about, it would A) not replace any two items that I already have with me (so it wouldn't simplify things), but B) it would add another party into handling my payments (thus increasing my payments attack surface).

Reactions: remington79

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Apple Pay works fine for me. I've earned over $1400 using it with Apple Card since the two started working together. I always look for ways to use Apple Pay.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Same here, AP works great, only problem I have the credit card machine at McDonalds doesn't come out far enough to easily use my watch to pay.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Absolutely not interested... ApplePay works perfectly where I shop... no need to take on another crappy payment system... NO SamsungPay, NO AndroidPay, NO Walmart Pay, NO Kroger ... every freaking store now wants their own payment system... not happening in my home.

Reactions: d.o.p.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
In the UK Barclaycard had something called bPay-don’t know if it’s still a ‘thing’ but I don’t think it gained widespread adoption.

I know nothing is ever 100% secure but I personally would rather use biometrics than something like this.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I also wouldn't even consider it. I feel reassured that AP is secure, and its always worked everywhere I have ever wanted to use it - so much so that I regularly leave my wallet at home for any local trips to the shops etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.