Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
In all the talk about everything being Intel by the end of the year, I am left wondering what will happen to the eMac. I can't really see them making them intel, but will they possibly keep it around as a G4? As a technology coordinator for a K-12 school, I would hate to see it go away as it is the best choice out there for a computer lab. Pricewise and convenience, nothing compares. I plan on buying about 80 of them this summer to replace a few labs. If it will be discontinued, any guesses as to when?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
given that it's been taken off the consumer market and not updated in ages, I think it will disappear. That would be a real shame, though, because it's definitely the best choice for schools. Hopefully they'll replace it with something.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I thought it was already dead... eol product, just selling off excess stock left over to students and schools. It was a nice product, perhaps they'll make a replacement (scaled down imac?) for it in the future

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Just to make matters worse, the Intels don't support classic, meaning schools can't run their old apps like they could have on the G4 eMacs.

At my school, this year we just got eMacs in all of the labs, and are just enough for the programs everyone runs (word, safari, easy stuff, the eMacs are replacing iMac G3's).

I wonder what Apple's plan is for schools and if they will come out with a machine for schools.

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
If they don't keep it I think they will definitely replace it with something just like it just for the educational market, but also made available for the consumer market...thats just my 2cents though...

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
The eMac was only taken out of consumer. Its still for sale in the education market. I think they will update it will an Intel. doesnt Apple usually have an education show in the UK soon? Im sure they had one last year, but i cant find anything on their site :confused:

The Senator

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
I dont know what apples plans are education wise, My school system 10 years ago was all apples in every school, and my system is pretty big. Now there are no more apples anywhere not even in the elementary schools. Their all these crappy pcs. I shed a tear when i was in an elementary school and saw the pc computers.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
dpaanlka said:
I am at the education page for Bradley University and I don't see it anywhere.

you have to be an institution to purchase them new from apple

meaning- you are the school buying xx # of machines for your students
not you are a 'member' of the school... teacher/student...etc

occasionally, however, they are available refurb to everyone-

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
gallagb said:
you have to be an institution to purchase them new from apple

meaning- you are the school buying xx # of machines for your students
not you are a 'member' of the school... teacher/student...etc

occasionally, however, they are available refurb to everyone-

Lot's of authorised resellers also have them new and you don't need to be an institution to buy from them. They're an ok product I guess.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
I hope they put in 15 inch lcd's like the old imacs, it would be nice for school as our emacs are running poopie OS 9 on 800mhz emacs.

lovemacs_1895_6869980

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
nitynate said:
I hope they put in 15 inch lcd's like the old imacs, it would be nice for school as our emacs are running poopie OS 9 on 800mhz emacs.

lovemacs_1895_6869980

It would be pretty cool if a new eMac brought the G4 iMac design back but with low end intel processors. They'd have a [repeat] hit on their hands.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
They should keep the eMac on PPC, and throw in a single 2.5 or 2.7 G5 once the PowerMacs go Intel.

Schools like the durability of the eMac, it would be a shame to see it go. Unfortunately, I think they'll probably drop it all together at some point later this year.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think there may be a new "eMac" variation on the 17" iMac--possibly much cheaper and lower-spec'd, aimed at kids. Core Solo? Integrated graphics? No iSight? No remote? No Mighty Mouse without BTO? No AirPort without BTO?

And with a hard acrylic protective face over the soft LCD.

I would have thought a CRT machine would remain for schools, but a covered LCD has the same durability, and LCD costs are coming down. Then add Steve's recent comment about how they "may" have no more CRTs in the coming year.

And a thicker front plate on the current Mac Mini design would cost less than developing a whole new eMac form factor.

The eMac name might vanish, but I think something will replace it. LCDs are normally just too easily damaged.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
It's already gone. There's no debate. I would love to see an Intel one, but the point is, it's just not even for sale anymore. They don't even have refurbished models online.

Daniel.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
BurtonCCC said:
It's already gone. There's no debate. I would love to see an Intel one, but the point is, it's just not even for sale anymore. They don't even have refurbished models online.

Daniel.
eMacs are still for sale to schools. I'm looking at the Apple Store now and its listed as shipping in 1-3 business days for $649. So not entirely gone.

EDIT: I should note they're still selling 3 models, going up to $900.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.