Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey Friends,

We've seen a lot of desk setups and obviously all kinds of tech talk, but these machines are for creating (or pro-creating;) I thought it would be fun to create a board where we post our work or art along with the computer we use. I'll start

2019 Mac Pro 16c 384gb ram and 8tb SSD

I need the ram to load my samples for movie sound track composition. I typically used about 200gb of samples loaded into ram at any given time. Here is a recent piece for an upcoming stop motion short:

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-flynn-348314876%2Fcarls-flight

Who's next?
[automerge]1597250111[/automerge]

Last edited:

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I have a recording studio. I’m getting ready for a session now. I have 42 channels of high end inputs and outputs (I/O) and four rooms. I also do some amateur video - FCPX stuff.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
My Mac Pro 1,1 that was once used for video encoding, light video and photo editing, and WoW has since been retired to being a Plex Media Server.

While not nearly as fast as newer Macs, I am surprised at how well it has held up over the years, and still very fast for a lot of stuff. I did upgrade the RAM, GPU, and internal drives many times over the years.

It was my Main Mac between 2007 til the end of 2012 when I got my Late 2012 iMac.

The hardest thing my Mac Pro does now is occasionally transcodes video for remote viewing.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hi all,

I wish that I could post some nice creative stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not very artistic or musically-inclined!

However, I use my 2013 Mac Pro for mathematics research. I'll post a cool-looking diagram from one of my research projects! ?For those who are curious, the diagram corresponds to an analysis of the "King and Rook vs. King on a quarter-infinite board" problem.

(Disclaimer: Eugenia Lee made this diagram, as specified by Prof. Elwyn Berlekamp)

richmlow

Attachments

• GM+.png
    GM+.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Hey Ryan,

Pretty moving track, very beautiful. I had a brief stint in making electronic music and djing a long time ago, but haven't touched it in years.

I've owned my 2.1 since 2013, and it's been a pretty amazing machine for me. I am an industrial designer so my job involves a lot of sketching w a cintiq, complex CAD work for production surfaces of products, specializing in HMI/Ergo and advanced surfacing. I also do renderings of the cad models, animations, and video production of products before they're actually produced.

In 2014/15, I landed a side gig rendering phone cases for Bodyglove. They gave me the engineering CAD, I would clean it up, bring it into rendering software, and render every model phone case they had, for every model of phone, in every possible color combination, for every possible phone they sold cases for. It was THOUSANDS of renderings, but it paid good money that winter. Work 8-5, start side gig from 6pm-11pm every night, gym at 11, sleep at midnight, monday through thursday for almost the entire winter. Cool thing was, I made almost 20k doing it, in less than 5 months while working full time. That chunk of money became a downpayment on my first house, so the 2.1 has paid for itself many, many times over.

I have a PC desktop for work stuff these days, so the 2.1 was basically just for hobbyist video editing. Lately, I've been working on building my youtube channel, I do a lot of compressing normal speed footage to create hopefully interesting timelapses of pretty complex projects.

Here's when I first dropped the engine and transmission on my 911:

Check out my page if you're bored if you're into builds of fast cars, offroad camper vans, snowmobiling/drift events, or restoring/driving old race boats. In many ways.... these old mac pros remind me a lot of all that kind of stuff; modifying/upgrading/building.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Recording saved interviews for another audio tech to ad sound introduce and commercial outs and in! The put the file on radio for the public! Not bad being a former Network Adminstrator!

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
Mine is an editing workhorse. 4,1 turned 5,1 with cpu upgrade, 48g RAM, Vega 56, storage raid - the usual suspects to edit with Media Composer and more recently with Premiere Pro. Pretty good machine considering how old it is!

Nice Porsche video BTW, I'm into old 4 cylinder engines but never made a video about them though.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey Ryan,

Pretty moving track, very beautiful. I had a brief stint in making electronic music and djing a long time ago, but haven't touched it in years.

I've owned my 2.1 since 2013, and it's been a pretty amazing machine for me. I am an industrial designer so my job involves a lot of sketching w a cintiq, complex CAD work for production surfaces of products, specializing in HMI/Ergo and advanced surfacing. I also do renderings of the cad models, animations, and video production of products before they're actually produced.

In 2014/15, I landed a side gig rendering phone cases for Bodyglove. They gave me the engineering CAD, I would clean it up, bring it into rendering software, and render every model phone case they had, for every model of phone, in every possible color combination, for every possible phone they sold cases for. It was THOUSANDS of renderings, but it paid good money that winter. Work 8-5, start side gig from 6pm-11pm every night, gym at 11, sleep at midnight, monday through thursday for almost the entire winter. Cool thing was, I made almost 20k doing it, in less than 5 months while working full time. That chunk of money became a downpayment on my first house, so the 2.1 has paid for itself many, many times over.

I have a PC desktop for work stuff these days, so the 2.1 was basically just for hobbyist video editing. Lately, I've been working on building my youtube channel, I do a lot of compressing normal speed footage to create hopefully interesting timelapses of pretty complex projects.

Here's when I first dropped the engine and transmission on my 911:

Check out my page if you're bored if you're into builds of fast cars, offroad camper vans, snowmobiling/drift events, or restoring/driving old race boats. In many ways.... these old mac pros remind me a lot of all that kind of stuff; modifying/upgrading/building.
This is awesome! Great problem solving getting that Porsche motor our with the motorcycle jack.

Reactions: ADDvanced

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Mac Pro 5,1 here. It's mostly a tinker toy. I used it through my last years of college to work on different projects in Graphic and Web design, but now it's mostly just a video server. I'm currently toying around with Garage Band and recording my guitar playing and trying to set up a way to render things so I can view them on my iMac G3, like videos and web since I heard that was a thing.

Next step is buying an RX580 and upgrading to Mojave!

EDIT: and DUSK, lots of playing DUSK

Last edited:

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
This is awesome! Great problem solving getting that Porsche motor our with the motorcycle jack.

Thanks, I can't take credit for it. Mainly I problem solve on forums from people who've done it before, figure out what tips work and don't work, and just record my experiences. Here's my most popular build:

Not going to spam any more links, but you guys might like that one since it's one big almost continuous timelapse. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing, don't describe it, post some links.

Reactions: pierrox

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
Mac Pro 2.1 - For amateur music making
Mac Pro 5.1 - Full time development machine ( running Manjaro )

McTinker

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
I use my MacPro1,1 to learn how to upgrade a MacPro1,1. :D

As you may have guessed, the Mac Pro is not my main machine. I am mainly a business application user. My main machines are an iMac 27", a MacBook 12", and an iPad Pro 10.5".
For me the same! The Mac1,1 is a very nice machine to upgrade because everything is quite cheap. I've got the Mac Pro 2006 for free, changed the HDD for six SSD's in striped setup (conclusion; after three SSD's it gets slower!), Got the fastes cpu's from eBay and upgraded to eight cores, did the firmware upgrade to 2,1, OS up to 10.11, put 64bit Windows 10 on it and was able to play COD: MW1 on it (still can't win). And of course scraped some compatible memory from some places to go from two to 32 GB.
Still to find the best compatible videocard and get that working, and maybe installing Linux.

So the "real use" is only playing Call of Duty right now. I'm really confusing the Steam hardware statistics right now ?

Reactions: EugW

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I use my Mac Pro for music creation as a hobby.
Here's an operatic vignette I created some years ago. A Box.com music link is at the bottom.

Forgiven

The woman: Violin
The man: Viola
Female voice: Oboe
Male voice: Tuba

Piano intro.

Scene 1.
A man and a woman are arguing. The woman slaps the mans face and begins to cry. The man walks off looking sad.

A woman fell in love
with a man who said his love was true [female voice with chorus]
and he would cherish her forever
But she was only being kept
for he cared not where he slept
He broke her heart
and now she sings this song

Where, where went all the love [the woman repeated twice]
the love that broke my heart
and left me crying
When, when will I find love
love to fill my heart
and I'm smiling
Yes, I know that I should be strong
Please, please love come again
I feel so all alone

How could I not see what I have done [the man with woman on repeat]
is what I never wanted
Will our love be washed away
with the tears that flow from your heart
Without you there will be no joy
No one to touch and whisper to in the night
Please, please love come again
I feel so all alone

Scene 2.

The man attempts to caress the woman but is rejected. The man falls to his knees and begins to weep. The woman then lifts him up into her bosom and they caress each other smiling.

And here they are [female voice and chorus]
so close, yet so far apart
She makes the choice to forgive
She takes him back into her heart [male voice chimes in]

Now, now I'm in your arms [man and woman with chorus]
your warmth caresses my soul
and makes me happy
Joy, joy in what we have
until our journey ends
And forever
We will live our lives
with each other in our hearts
Love, love has come again
we'll never be alone
Love, love has come again
It sings a lovely song

https://app.box.com/s/35k63tvv8xxjs1bh0ye2oz1mmerp0jyr

Words and Music by Phil Lovgren 2008

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Awesome the way the strat comes in at 4.32 !
I think it deserves to be more in front , since the mix is getting quite dense, but that's just my personal taste..
Thx for sharing!

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Awesome the way the strat comes in at 4.32 !
I think it deserves to be more in front , since the mix is getting quite dense, but that's just my personal taste..
Thx for sharing!

Thank you so much!! Lol. Well I think the strat is a little out front already, but that’s natural shyness! I used to work with a producer who would ask the lead singer how the mix was. If the singer said her voice was too out front he knew it needed to come up a little bit! Lol.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I've used mine for:

-3D art/animation.
-Game development.
-iOS development.
-Photo editing/retouching.
-General graphic design.
-Sound/Music.
-Video editing.

I'm a pretty heavy computer user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.