Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Lots of folks here (including me) have returned their AirPods 3. What does Apple do with them?

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
I presume keep for repairs, or they sell refurbished products after tests etc.

Why have you returned and others out of interest
Hello Mr, I and others returned returned their 3rd gen AirPods due to the large “bulb“ of the new design. I wish they had kept the design of the 1st/2nd gen bulb since it is so comfortable. The new Gen 3’s hurt after about 15 minutes of use since they’re bigger.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Hello Mr, I and others returned returned their 3rd gen AirPods due to the large “bulb“ of the new design. I wish they had kept the design of the 1st/2nd gen bulb since it is so comfortable. The new Gen 3’s hurt after about 15 minutes of use since they’re bigger.

Ah ok I see. I didn’t like the pro as stuck in my ear, loved my 1st gen, will see what the 3rd gen is like.

It is a hard thing to get right as everyone has different ears and will be perfect for some, not for others suppose.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Ah ok I see. I didn’t like the pro as stuck in my ear, loved my 1st gen, will see what the 3rd gen is like.

It is a hard thing to get right as everyone has different ears and will be perfect for some, not for others suppose.
That’s true, but when your original AirPods design was so successful why not keep that “fit” going? Improve upon what’s been successful instead of redesigning and alienating a set of your users

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Tim Cook gives them a quick polish and they go back into the Apple store for the next customer.

More likely: they’ll probably be checked, cleaned and used as b-stock, as warranty replacements or something.

Reactions: phillytim

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
That’s true, but when your original AirPods design was so successful why not keep that “fit” going? Improve upon what’s been successful instead of redesigning and alienating a set of your users

Not sure, but maybe if they brought out another pair the same. People would complain as they are the same as 2nd, 1st etc….

I bet these are just as popular, the 2nd gen are still for sale for that reason, for people who prefer that fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.