Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
It's Color

But ...

Cheap ... As in cheaper than the flagship 5S
Crap (compared to the 5S I'm getting) :)
California ... As in designed in
China ... As in made in lol
Children ... As in buy one for your kids

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I bet it's for "CHOICE" or "CARRIER".

Since some new photos have emerged showing the 5C w/ sim ejection tool....
the iphone 5C is probably going to the PREPAID market. Apple has not included a sim ejection tool for the last couple/few handsets. Why would they include it on a low cost version? Because the owner would need access to the sim after purchase to install the CARRIER sim of CHOICE.

Just my $.02
Gottafly

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Does the 'C' actually have to stand for anything in particular? Many products have codes or identities that mean very little to the consumer.

What does the 'S' stand for on present iPhones?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think iPhone 5C stands for two things:

1. It will be much less expensive "unlocked" than the iPhone 5S--possibly as much as US$200 less. The phone will essentially use the same circuit board as the current iPhone 5 to keep costs down. This is also why the phone is built around a less expensive polycarbonate case.

2. The phone is intended heavily towards the Chinese market. It will be the first iPhone model to incorporate TD-SCDMA and possibly TD-LTE support, which allows the phone to operate on China Mobile's digital cellular network.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Iphone 5C - upgraded obama phone - for all his peeps on the wellfare!

Not trying to name call...but you are a retard, sir.

I'm liberal, I voted Obama, I'm 24, and make 35K a year (not a lot, but not welfare status). By his "peeps" did you mean black people? Are you racist? Probably. Can you generalize any more?

And it's spelled WELFARE not wellfare, you idiot. Have you a degree? High School diploma? GED perhaps?

Oh and C stands for Color.

Last edited:

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
China, Color, Concept, Cloud, Core, Cletus?

Or maybe Communist?

----------

Does the 'C' actually have to stand for anything in particular? Many products have codes or identities that mean very little to the consumer.

What does the 'S' stand for on present iPhones?

If one were to analyze Apple´s naming policies of the past, then yes, it does have to mean something.

The S stands for Speed. As for Sammy´s Phones I have no clue

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Definitely stands for color. Apple offering the iPhones now in black, white, champagne, silver (or whatever the heck they are calling it), blue, plastic white, red, green, yellow and whatever else is kind of huge. It'll be a big press draw, "Apple now offering rainbow of colors!" etc. etc.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I bet it's for "CHOICE" or "CARRIER".

Since some new photos have emerged showing the 5C w/ sim ejection tool....
the iphone 5C is probably going to the PREPAID market. Apple has not included a sim ejection tool for the last couple/few handsets. Why would they include it on a low cost version? Because the owner would need access to the sim after purchase to install the CARRIER sim of CHOICE.

Just my $.02
Gottafly

Seriously?

Do you think "there be monsters" if you sail off the coasts of CONUS?

Every iPhone I have EVER bought, right up to a pair of iPhone 5's, on contract and sim free has included a sim ejection tool.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Has the S ever been officially defined? If so does anyone have a link to an Apple representative/CEO saying so?

For that matter what does the "i" stand for?

According to the ad agency who came up with "iMac", they presented the "i" to Jobs as being able to stand for: Internet, Imagination, or Individual.

Most people go with "internet", since that was the hot thing at the time. Heck, the "i" prefix had been in use all throughout the 1990s to mean "internet" or "interactive".

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not true, I saw a movie preview (can't remember what the name of it was) and the teenage girl definitely had a white iPhone 5C.

Highly unlikely. First because Apple wouldn't risk someone leaking it if they handed out a phone.

Second because the movie could have been made as much much as two years ago. Certainly was several months ago. A working iphone 5C wouldn't have existed.

it was a 5 in a case or some kind of knockoff.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
Seriously?

Do you think "there be monsters" if you sail off the coasts of CONUS?

Every iPhone I have EVER bought, right up to a pair of iPhone 5's, on contract and sim free has included a sim ejection tool.

No, greenteeth, the monsters are under my bed.

Sorry, sim eject tool has not been in at least the last 2 versions here in the "CONUS". You and your brethren must be s-p-e-c-i-a-l.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.