Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinfinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I am new to the ipod touch and so am wondering what the advantage is that is desirable enough to do away with the warranty?

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
You can install new themes and 3rd party apps that modify the firmware (more or less) and apps that han't been aproved by apple (tethering and things like that). I'd say if you are new to the ipod don't jailbreak it for 2 weeks and if you feel the need of jailbreaking after that time then go ahead. Because you may want to have the feel of a "real" ipod before jailbreaking.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
You can get some HEAVY Customization with Jailbreaking, but most just want a background. (added in iOS 4) You can pirate apps. (it is wrong) You gain access to all sorts of apps barred by app store (cool, but some are barred for a reason) You can do cool tricks like Graviboard! (I got nothing...) You gain root terminal access. (For the hackers) And alot of other stuff. Do it if you want.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
By Jailbreaking you can turn the device into what it should have been before apple restricted it.

Apart from customisation, you can apply tweaks and other utilities that allow you to exploit the device and install anything you want (within reason)

It is simple to do and opens up a massive range of possibilities.

It doesnt really void your warranty as if you have a problem it is a simple matter to do a restore before taking it to an apple store to get it fixed

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
By Jailbreaking you can turn the device into what it should have been before apple restricted it.

Apart from customisation, you can apply tweaks and other utilities that allow you to exploit the device and install anything you want (within reason)

It is simple to do and opens up a massive range of possibilities.

It doesnt really void your warranty as if you have a problem it is a simple matter to do a restore before taking it to an apple store to get it fixed

by saing "before apple restricted it" makes it sound like you used to be able to easily customize and tweak your ipod etc. ...is this true?

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
by saing "before apple restricted it" makes it sound like you used to be able to easily customize and tweak your ipod etc. ...is this true?

No this isnt true. What I mean is that if the device had been made exactly the same, but by another company, it wouldnt be as restricted as it is. Mainly because of the need to use iTunes and the poor file management system there of.

Apple announced the device and it sounded amazing, it still is an amazing device, but it is limited by Apple.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I really can not see the point, oh I understand the stated improvements but the way I use my iPod Touch I would not gain that much. What I would love to have it is a dual boot system such a Rockbox enables in older iPods. You can boot into either the original OS, or The Rockbox OS.

chris001

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
I like the 5 icon dock vs. the 4 icon's you get without the jailbreak.
or the calendar lock screen (being able to see your calendar on the lock screen)
just little things like that.

those two things on it's own are worth it imo.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I like the 5 icon dock vs. the 4 icon's you get without the jailbreak.
or the calendar lock screen (being able to see your calendar on the lock screen)
just little things like that.

those two things on it's own are worth it imo.

+1 I agree, five icon dock is brilliant. One of the first things i installed after jailbreaking this time

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
This is one of the few threads I have seen extolling the benefits of jailbreaking one's i-Device. For this one thread, there have to be a hundred that start with something like: "I jailbroke my iPod/iPhone and now it won't.....(pick function)"

Seems to me that jailbreaking in a tinkerer's hobby. I am too old to screw around with my stuff, I just want it to work. If that means staying in Apple's walled garden, so be it. Hell, we have all happily traded off the sound quality of our music for the convenience of mp3/AAC files and ....... hey that Apple flavored Kool Aide tastes great!! :D

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
The ability to customize your ipod.
5 icon dock
the barrel effect for flipping through your screens is fantastic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.