Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I have a current-gen Philips Hue bridge and three lights (two in my bedroom and one in the living room) and I can't figure out what the "triangle"/network-looking icon in the HomeKit app does–the one that gets named "Philips Hue - [model number]" and sits next to the individual device icons.

X4bGU6o.jpg

I may be wrong, but I remember it could turn on/off all devices within a particular room in an early iOS 10 beta, but now when I view its details, it includes all devices in all rooms, which I can't seem to change, and tapping it doesn't do anything. What am I missing?

I even tried resetting HomeKit data in the Hue app and repaired it with HomeKit. Running the iOS 10 GM. Thanks!

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I don't think it does anything. It represents your Hue bridge though. I haven't been able to do anything with mine either.
I was afraid of that. Seems rather pointless. The HomeKit app isn't the complete replacement of the Hue app I hoped it'd be.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
I was afraid of that. Seems rather pointless. The HomeKit app isn't the complete replacement of the Hue app I hoped it'd be.

If you tap and hold on the bridge icon, then click details, there will be a toggle to "include in favorites"

turn it off, then you won't see it on the main screen anymore.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
You're lucky it even shows! - whatever I do I can NOT get the Hoem App to connect to my Bridge :/ worked on old betas but recently stopped working and even after starting fresh cant get it to connect lol

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Yes, the apps itself is not that useful on daily basis. For most simple control, Siri still the simplest way to do it. However, after the initial setup, I really love this new shortcut in the control centre. Very very quick access to my few most frequently use scenes. And the presentation is very clear as well.
IMG_1216.PNG

Also, for Apple Watch, HomeKit has much better respond time then the Hue app.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
You're lucky it even shows! - whatever I do I can NOT get the Hoem App to connect to my Bridge :/ worked on old betas but recently stopped working and even after starting fresh cant get it to connect lol
You may have to reset the bridge if you haven't already. HomeKit devices remember what iOS device they are paired to even after you tap Remove Home or Remove Device in the Home app. Hope this helps.

TheLuckiest

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
San Francisco
Just to clear up some of the misinformation in the earlier responses, the location icon allows you to switch between HomeKit houses you have been shared access to. It does not represent your bridge.

IZplilQ.jpg

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Is there a way to reorder my favorites? I can't figure it out. The way it defaults the order right now has one media room control, 2 living room controls, then another media room one. That's super unintuitive. But I'm not sure why there's not an easily available way to drag and drop to change their order.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Is there a way to reorder my favorites? I can't figure it out. The way it defaults the order right now has one media room control, 2 living room controls, then another media room one. That's super unintuitive. But I'm not sure why there's not an easily available way to drag and drop to change their order.

Did you try the edit button on the top right?

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Just to clear up some of the misinformation in the earlier responses, the location icon allows you to switch between HomeKit houses you have been shared access to. It does not represent your bridge.

IZplilQ.jpg
...he was talking about the actual Phillips Hue bridge icon in the bottom left of his original picture. No one is questioning what the location icon does.

Reactions: h9826790

allenshi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Sorry to Hijack the thread...but does anyone else have issues inviting people to home? I can't invite my wife but she can invite me to a home she creates...

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Similar question... If I share Home access with my wife, does she ALSO have to have all the individual apps?

Depends on the accessory.

I’ve got a bunch of Lutron Caseta Wirless switches/dimmers in my home, I deleted the app and I was able to control Lights, as were people I invited who never had the app

With my August smart lock however, I’ve found that to not be the case. I need the app installed for it to work, as does anyone I invite to the home.

My EcoBee3 doesn’t seem to require the app, either.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Just to chime in this old thread, Philips Hue, Koogeek, and Elgato Eve products apparently work without the accompanying apps as long as it's configured to use HomeKit on another device with the app.

By the way, the Hue Bridge showing up in the Home app is a bit of a necessary evil. It is the device that ties in all the Hue bulbs and accessories into the ecosystem, both to HomeKit and its native Hue. And while the configuration page does not show any bridge-specific controls, you can view the list of the Hue stuff there (and control each of them, if you wish). It comes in handy if you want to see the status of all the Hue accessories at once.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just dont use the manufacturers app. However I do keep it.

1. It sometimes provides more functionality that I MIGHT want one day.
2. Firmware updates can be forced through the manufacturer app.

Essentially I just keep a "Home" folder with all the apps and the Home.app is the first one.

With automation and Siri I rarely use the Home app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.