Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I am a bit confused about the value of TxRate? Any actual wifi internet test I do ends up way faster than expected which is good but also not what I expected.

When I sit in the office my wifi on the new MacBook Air 15" reads TxRates usually around 144 Mbps and sometimes lower sometimes a bit higher. Now Mbps ist quite specific metric suggesting that in an ideal no overhead scenario I can get 144Mbps max over that link. So I was expecting to have a somewhat limited web speed.
However in this case my inet is 500Mb/s and that is what every test on the notebook says it gets.

It is also 5Ghz/80Mhz channel and wifi 6 ax router. Does 144Mb/s mean per 20Mhz channel and I got 4 of them or is it a useless reading and it is just power saving and will spike way up if needed. I got a Quality rating of about 23db (68 v. 91).

If I move to the other room sitting right next to the router at a SNR 50db it climbs all the way up to 1200Mb/s.

Anybody got a clue what is going on? Same okla speed test results in both cases 144Mb/s TxRate and 1200Mb/s TxRate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.