Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I last owned a mac in 2006 but have recently bought a new one. I've been programming for about ten years on Linux, but I'm curious what software programmers use on macOS for macOS app dev and iOS apps. Can you let me know what you consider the essential tools for programming on a Mac?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I use IntelliJ/VsCode/Postman/PhpStorm/PyCharm/Github Desktop(also the CLI)/Beyond Compare/Termius(ssh client)/Docker. I mainly do programming in Java and running all of these on M1 Max!

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I use IntelliJ/VsCode/Postman/PhpStorm/PyCharm/Github Desktop(also the CLI)/Beyond Compare/Termius(ssh client)/Docker. I mainly do programming in Java and running all of these on M1 Max!
Cool. Thank you.

Yeah, I've been using the JetBrains IDEs for a few years now. They are great. I'm not sure whether AppCode is better than Xcode though. I'll have to try them both out to see which one I prefer.

The other stuff sounds interesting as well. I'll look through them now.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I use Xcode for anything within Apple's world, VSCode and JetBrains outside.

Xcode it pretty darn good if you're working within Apple's ecosystem.

Also, get a package manager, like Home-brew, MacPorts, Fink or similar :)

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
At my current job I develop for MacOS. Setup is pretty simple: Xcode and sourcetree. Daily standup meetings in Microsoft teams (I know…), and figma to view the work of the designers. I sometimes use VSCode if I need to take a look at the C# code from the windows team, especially if I need to write an algorithm that they’ve already created, then I can just translate it into swift. I think that’s it when it comes to software. Oh, and discord for chatting with my colleagues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.