Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple & Mac friends.

What else or setting on both the Mac and PC (PCs, tested on more than one PC) could be preventing the Mac from communicating to the PC's printer. The Mac can mount the Public folders of the PC, no problem but the IP address must be known and that used to mount it (if 'Browse' is used it won't see thus one would not be able to mount it); and can see the networked printer that's attached via USB to the PC w/ printer Sharing enabled. From the Mac, the printer can be added in the System Preferences under but when you print something on the Mac but it would say the printer is standby even though it's turned ON and the PC is not sleeping as well.

Connecting to the PC's Public folder and copying files and sending files there from the Mac is not a problem but the networked printer can't communicate even though the Mac sees it (both have the same drivers installed) even though all the firewalls and anti-virus' shields were switched OFF. This was using: wifi and ethernet, using macOS Big Sur, High Sierra (the most stable OS ever made by Apple) to Windows 11 and Windows 10.

What other hidden shield or firewall could I have not switched OFF in the PC, Mac or even the fiber internet modem which has a build int router for wifi and 3 ethernets (Huawei, the account names & password seems to be printed on the modem itself at the back). This is after using two rolls of CAT5e which have successfully mounted the Public folders on the PC and have successfully seen and added the printer of the PC.

How come it can communicate when it's just data (Public folders on the PC) but can't communicate with the printer, thinking it's on stand-by even though it saw and added it to System Prefernce>Printers & Scanners?

Last edited by a moderator:

vossthej

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Just a guess, the fact that you can see the printer does not mean you can communicate with the printer.
You also need the delegated right to write to the device... check it out and try not just to share something but also delegate the needed rights!

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, thanks, where in Windows 10 or 11 Control Panel or somewhere else (on macOS?) can I set the 'delegate right to write to devices' so the macOS Monterey (or lower, I also have High Sierra installed on another volume as back OS) can communicate to the PC's printer (it's networked via ethernet, coz' the fiber internet speed is double and also it can access the telco's Huawei modem? I've been trying make it work for weeks (a year actually after I upgraded to Monterey which I think is the buggiest Apple OS version, but I stopped trying coz' I can mount the Public folder of the PC Windows, then transfer the files to be printed there, go the PC and print it there but it's not efficient coz' usually someone is using the PC).

vossthej

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Hmm I don't have a win 11 to try ... there must be a dialog somewhere, where you can set access rights to your printer besides that you can share a printer. Here is also a possible scenario:

Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.