Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm going to be getting the Apple Watch Series 8 when it comes out, and I was wondering what equipment you need to go alongside to get the best out of Apple Fitness+? Unfortunately, I can't fit an exercise bike or treadmill into my room, but I can fit smaller things in.

Can anyone let me know what equipment they own and use and whether they recommend the equipment or not?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
It really depends what workouts you want to do - Fitness+ has a bit of everything ranging from yoga to HIIT to just walking. Personally I only own a mat, some dumbells, and a treadmill although I don't bother using the treadmill with Fitness+ since it's mostly just for interval training.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to just start with nothing and try out some bodyweight stuff and see how you like it. Having said that though, a yoga/exercise mat is cheap and super useful for 90% of the exercises on the app especially if you have harder floors.

Reactions: Cromulent

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It really depends what workouts you want to do - Fitness+ has a bit of everything ranging from yoga to HIIT to just walking. Personally I only own a mat, some dumbells, and a treadmill although I don't bother using the treadmill with Fitness+ since it's mostly just for interval training.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to just start with nothing and try out some bodyweight stuff and see how you like it. Having said that though, a yoga/exercise mat is cheap and super useful for 90% of the exercises on the app especially if you have harder floors.
Thank you. I'll go with an exercise mat then. I mainly want to do strength training, but I'm so unfit it'll take me a while to get used to doing exercise.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Yeah in that case just start with the basics. The most important thing at this stage IMO is to get yourself into the habit of exercising and then you can build on that - kettlebells, dumbbells etc could all be useful further down the line.

Reactions: Cromulent

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
How does apple fitness + work with running and training for a 5k from scratch ?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
How does apple fitness + work with running and training for a 5k from scratch ?
AFAIK they have a "collection" (which is just an arbitrary group of related exercises) that they claim is for training for a 5k. From what I can see though it's mostly just a dozen or so treadmill workouts rather than a tailored 5k program.

IMO the old C25k program is a much better way of training to a 5k from scratch and you can record that progress in Apple fitness just as a regular outdoor/indoor run so you still get the data from it. Since you can sync podcasts to exercises and store them on your Watch, a good way of doing this might be to find a C25k podcast (theres a lot of them) and train with that - much easier than trying to track the intervals yourself or fumbling around with an app mid-run.

Reactions: dUnKle

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
Start with just a mat, that will be good enough for lots of workouts and is what I did.
I only added 5Kg and 7.5Kg dumbbells after a few months of HIIT and core workouts. (I do also run a few days a week.)

My issue was finding a good large non slip mat, being taller and having hard floors meant some cheap mats were no good.
But my current mat is great, stays in place and is long enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.