Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Hi,

I am getting an iPhone 3GS (sometime between Friday and Tuesday hopefully).

Given what comes in the box with the iPhone 3GS, what do I need to buy to accomplish the following setup?

* I want to have a dock at my computer. I also want a dock in my living room such that I can dock the iPhone and connect the iPhone to a set of speakers (computer speakers for example). *

Here is where I think I am starting at so far:

Buying 2 of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPhone-3G...6:4|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

But, after that I am not sure what extra cables/AC Adapters/etc I need to buy/have to get my setup working. All the research has made me glassy eyed :rolleyes:

Thanks!

jello22

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
The seller doesn't make it very clear what additional cables you might need...I would pose the question to them and let them know your setup.
smile.gif

JohnnyRules

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
If these docks have the same ports as the apple universal dock (I am assuming they do, which are the line out and dock connector ports), you will need the following:

Computer:
1) Dock
2) USB cable to plug into the dock and then into your computer.

Living Room:
1) Dock
2) USB cable plugged into the power outlet on one end and into the dock on the other. (I would use the one that came with the iPhone if not in use already)
3) Audio cable to plug into your speakers/receiver. This may vary depending what you are plugging it into. If you are using computer speakers, you should just be able to plug the mini-stereo cord from the speakers into the dock. If you are using a receiver, you may need a cable similar to the following CLICK.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
If these docks have the same ports as the apple universal dock (I am assuming they do, which are the line out and dock connector ports), you will need the following:

Computer:
1) Dock
2) USB cable to plug into the dock and then into your computer.

Living Room:
1) Dock
2) USB cable plugged into the power outlet on one end and into the dock on the other. (I would use the one that came with the iPhone if not in use already)
3) Audio cable to plug into your speakers/receiver. This may vary depending what you are plugging it into. If you are using computer speakers, you should just be able to plug the mini-stereo cord from the speakers into the dock. If you are using a receiver, you may need a cable similar to the following CLICK.

Excellent. Thanks JohnnyRules.

A couple of things. You qualified your response with "if these docks have the same ports as the apple universal dock"....isn't that Ebay link that I had in my original message directing to someone selling an Apple Universal Dock? Or is the Apple Universal Dock something different?

Assuming that it is the Apple Universal Dock, then I would have to separately buy 2 USB cables, a USB/AC Adapter (assuming I am using the one that came with the phone already), computer speakers (that is what I plan to use initially). That seems reasonable -- well reasonable insofar that the Apple Dock comes with no cables, which seems very odd. :rolleyes:

JohnnyRules

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
To be honest, I did not really look at that ebay listing too well, and went more based upon the post by that other guy haha. Those docks you linked to seem to be original apple products, where as some on ebay are fakes. You will be fine with these docks, they have both ports, the dock connector port and the line out audio port.

The difference between the iphone 3g dock and the apple universal dock is that the 3g dock is specifically shaped to fit the iphone 3g and 3GS, and the universal dock has different adaptors where you can use different sized ipods and the iphone with the same dock. They both have the same ports on the back. The universal dock also comes with a remote that can be used to control your iphone when it is docked. The universal dock costs $20 more on apple.com, I am not too sure on the price on ebay.

Universal Dock

3g Dock

As far as cables go, I found this on ebay Click. This come with the power adaptor and the cable for ~$8, which is not too unreasonable.

If I were you, I would buy the 3g dock for my computer and buy the universal dock for the living room because of the expandability if you have/may buy more ipods in the future, and the remote may come in handy.

But your list is correct, you will need:
2-docks
2-usb cables
1-USB/AC adapter (for living room)
1-Speakers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.