Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
As no one ever wants to admit I am totally in the dark about CSS? I should know but i dont haha. Can anyone hook me up with what exactly CSS is and what its used for?

Thanks!

-NSutt-

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
CSS is short for Cascading Style Sheets. They're used to describe the apperence of an HTML page and its different elements in a very simple and convenient manner. So you define styles for different HTML tags and classes in one CSS file, then you apply it to all your HTML files. That's just what it is basically... Hope this helps.

Edit: Just to get you started, check out this tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

CSS stands for "Cascading Style Sheets". A style sheet is a document, or part of a document, that controls how a web page looks. You can have CSS information embedded at the top of your HTML, inside your <head>, or interspersed throughout your HTML using the style="..." attribute on various HTML elements, but the most useful method is to include your stylesheet as a separate document using <link>s in your <head>. This is because you can then use the same stylesheet with multiple web pages, to keep a consistant look across them.

Style sheets let you completely separate your content from your layout and design information. You can change the look of level-one headings (<h1>) once in your style sheet, and all of the level-one headings in all of the pages that use that stylesheet immediately use the new look. You can even use style sheets to control layout, so you could, say, move a navigation panel from the left side to the right side, or turn it into a bar across the top, and have that change appear in all of the pages in your web site at once.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
CSS stands for "Troy stop using those damn font tags or I'll KILL you!"....oh wait that was just at my last job between me and one of the programmers...sorry :rolleyes:

olivera

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2005
css is for appearance definition
html is for content definition

at least that is how it is supposed to be now.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Thhhhhaannnks!

Thanks... That gives me a great jist of it. Anybody know anything about Flash and loading stuff? I am trying to make me 1 mb Flash Virtual Tour 56k friendly :)

-NSutt-

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
nsutt22 said:
Thanks... That gives me a great jist of it. Anybody know anything about Flash and loading stuff? I am trying to make me 1 mb Flash Virtual Tour 56k friendly :)

-NSutt-

Dial-up still exists? Crazy!

Anyway... that all depends on what you are embedding in the Flash file. If you are putting quicktime movies into it, the file size is going to get pretty large like that. Nowadays, everyone just seems to be warning about the file size and giving a flash pre-load notification.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2005
nope just a college freshmen who has to make web pages for money :)

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
It's your tool to create object oriented pages.

Instead of putting <font> tags on all text, you put it in <div class="name"> tags and the attributes of that class are set within the css stylesheet.

CSS will save you time, make your pages more uniform, and make your code much cleaner.

scem0

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dornoforpyros said:
CSS stands for "Troy stop using those damn font tags or I'll KILL you!"....oh wait that was just at my last job between me and one of the programmers...sorry :rolleyes:
Those are the ones who graduate to adding span tags with inline styles and not actually writing style sheets, right?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Time for a brush-up

CSS (not to mention SSI) has been a great time-saver, and I've long since stopped using FONT (and have been coding for WAI and XHTML compliance).

But I'm conservative (or lazy?) when it comes to modern standards... my knowledge is incomplete and I know it (plus I tend to target older browsers--no DHTML--but you can't do that forever).

Any recommended links that teach modern Web coding as a whole? CSS, XHTML, DHTML and more? I'm starting a couple small, informal sites--good sandboxes to play in! I was going to just go to the library, but this thread reminded me to look for online sources. TIA.

PS, re big Flash files on modem... it can (and should!) be done! Just design it to stream as it plays. Flash's Bandwidth Profiler is a big help. You can make a long, big Flash presentation play instantly even on modem--it loads WHILE it plays. I really despise sites that pre-load Flash before it runs. I click Skip every time. (Don't get me started on sites that don't LET you skip :D )

Optimize media individually--some images/sounds may work fine at higher compression than others. And note the trade-off with Flash text: if you Break it Apart to paths, it animates faster... but if you don't, it loads faster (and is editable of course).

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
The CSS Zen Garden is a great resource for any kind of designer! I've used it as inspiration countless numbers of times. The CSS is inspiration for the code designer side of me, and the designs themselves are inspiration to the artistic designer side of me. Use it. :)

scem0

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Interesting! I will definitely check out that site more, thanks! I've always been a die-hard HTML guy, but I use CSS for any text. Just recently I started using CSS for special borders on tables too, but I've still barely scratched the surface of all that it can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.