Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eba

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
Another thing I think people are missing: For those folks who want just one computer for everyday use, a tiny screen and cramped keyboard are major disadvantages. To attract even a small portion of those users, a full-size screen and keyboard are a must. Otherwise, Apple would be banking almost exclusively on those who would buy the MBA as a second computer. I think Apple has calculated that by reducing weight and thickness but not screen and keyboard size, they can appeal to both groups.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
A laptop with a full-size screen and keyboard but that weighs 2-2.5 lbs less than a MB or MBP and is small enough to fit in a briefcase is a big deal.

I agree. I guess my criteria would be I want the least weight possible with a full keyboard and at least a 13" screen. The overall footprint isn't key for me but any smaller on either the kb or screen would kill the deal for me.

eba

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
there is a problem with the definition of "ultraportable", exactly how do you define it?

Not to mention there are alot of products fit your description, and probably cheaper...

It's not about adhering to some arbitrary, rigid and nonexistent definition. It's about Apple producing a dramatically thinner and lighter laptop with features they think consumers want most.

As for the "lots of products out there that do the same thing cheaper," that's always the case with Apple. That's never been the point.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
It's not about adhering to some arbitrary, rigid and nonexistent definition. It's about Apple producing a dramatically thinner and lighter laptop with features they think consumers want most.

this is the point when discussion has to end. since nothing is objective anymore..

eba

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
this is the point when discussion has to end. since nothing is objective anymore..

There's nothing "objective" about any of this. It's not as if there's a Papal bull on the meaning of ultraportable.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
That's why there's not one right answer. People that drool over specs could be complete different than people that drool over design and appearance. Both sides can be right.

i agree

this is why apple has more than 1 model of laptop
did you guys notice apple "DID NOT" discontinue the macbook line when macbook air was announced

everyone has different needs and what appeals to some it might not to others
macbook air is for ppl that are willing to give up some features for design, a thinner and lighter laptop
macbook for ppl on a budget yet still want it portable
macbook pro for ppl that want more of a desktop replacement

theres a macbook for everyone! woot!

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
If you're going to add the optional superdrive, why not just get the regular Macbook, or the Macbook Pro? You'd save $700 on the former, and pay at most $100 extra on the latter. :D

The option to not have to carry an unnecessary SuperDrive about appeals. I never use discs on the move. If I picked up a MBA I'd be satisfied with Remote Disk.... I wouldn't even buy the external SD.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I just bought the fully loaded MBA, so I guess I am in the demo:

-- Entrepreneur
-- Travel to Asia from USA once a month
-- Generally fly business or first so I will have a plug to keep it charged
-- Own 17" which I may bring on some trips when I need pro power, lots of pixels, need to swap batteries, etc.
-- Own iMac at home
-- Not rich.

For me, I find times when I want to go as light as possible. The Air is a great compromise; (I wouldn't want a cramped keyboard or 10" screen.)

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
-- Travel to Asia from USA once a month
-- Generally fly business or first so I will have a plug to keep it charged
-- Own 17" which I may bring on some trips when I need pro power, lots of pixels, need to swap batteries, etc.
-- Own iMac at home
-- Not rich.

Sir, you must be RICH! I am a frequent flyer as well and is well aware of the cost of long-haul premium class ticket (runs from US$3500 in business (direct JFK-BKK on TG) to over US$20000 (LHR-SIN-SYD in SQ A380). You're spending at least 20-30K annually on luxury travel so obviously you can afford an MBA (the computer and the degree, :)

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK

As for the "lots of products out there that do the same thing cheaper," that's always the case with Apple. That's never been the point.

I agree. Another thing that puzzles me is how people can recommend the other manufacturers machines. This is a Mac rumor site. As such, the reason allot of people if not most are here is that they want to run OSX.

The MBA IS the most portable machine Apple has ever produced.

C

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Maybe he means "students" whose parents pay for everything. Most real students would go with the Macbook or Macbook Pro.

Why, because the Macbook has an optical drive? The lack of an optical drive is no big deal. How often do I watch a movie or listen to a cd on the computer? Not often. And I plan on getting one, and I go to college. Three pounds is easier to lug around than 5 o 6, just because someone has to have an optical drive that they won't use.

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
-- Urban cyclist (lots of shocks to absorb)
-- Need to straddle two offices in NYC for light design work throughout the week
-- Started a new school program in the evenings learning lots of anatomy
-- Upgrading from a 2000 Sawtooth G4 (dual 1.2 Ghz upgraded)

MacBook would technically work out... But giving myself that 2lb edge over roughly 12 miles of daily bicycle commuting will definitely add up. As I added, multiply a day's worth of potholes conveying through my body over the course of a couple years—even with a nice neoprene or AXIO sleeve—and the MacBook's 'looser' design tolerances probably wouldn't hold up as well.

MBA is pretty much a dream device for my needs, so much so that I'm willing to put my concerns about fixed RAM and 15ms drive seeks entirely aside. Once 1.8" 64Gb SSD's drop to $400-500... Upgrade.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
* disabled right hand Hard to carry macbook.
* 47 years old almost 48 LOL
* will not leave the house with it.
* loves all new electronics.
* Will buy the SSD when i can get 128G

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
-- Urban cyclist (lots of shocks to absorb)
-- Need to straddle two offices in NYC for light design work throughout the week
-- Started a new school program in the evenings learning lots of anatomy
-- Upgrading from a 2000 Sawtooth G4 (dual 1.2 Ghz upgraded)

MacBook would technically work out... But giving myself that 2lb edge over roughly 12 miles of daily bicycle commuting will definitely add up. As I

You must be fit, yumm. :p

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
professionals?
travelers?
students?
paris hilton types?
super weak anorexic people?

I suppose I would fall mostly into the professional who has to travel to see clients.

Now for me the macbook air is ideal (assuming it hits the 5 hours battery life) for those first meetings with new clients where you try to get a feel for what they're after (I'm in design) but don't actually need all the power that a full size laptop has. 13" is plenty big enough for someone to look at some samples etc to get an idea of what they like while I'm taking notes on paper.

It also wouldn't be my main computer (desktop covers that) and I would probably have a 17" macbook pro to compliment it for when doing work on the go. So I suppose you could say it would encourage the mobile professional (designers perhaps) to have more than one mac which inturn increases apple revenue.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
crippled is not subjective. when a mb can do all that and more for alot cheaper how can you say it's anything but crippled? im curious

i dont take my laptop to class as im old fashioned and take notes by hand. however, the weight of books doesnt bother me. i mean its what like a max of 40lbs? in a backpack nonetheless

all im saying is pretty much all my friends use there laptops to double as
1) dvd players
2) jukeboxes
3) for cameras
4) and maybe connect external hd and a mouse and maybe a keyboard

the mba struggles with all of these. in my opinion it is INSANE for a student to have this as a sole computer. then INSANE to have it as a secondary one as you could just get a mbp instead

Regardless of what your friends do, they are not representative of the whole population. Not everyone uses their computer to watch DVDs, most people have an MP3 player that they use, cameras use USB or card readers, which can be rectified with a $10 USB hub.

We ordered 60 MBAs, and 40 of them are already tagged with people's names. Despite our disclaimers about what the MBA lacks, most people are willing to forego an internal optical drive and a plethora of ports because they simply don't perceive a need for the constant use of those ports. The MBA is perfect for some people's needs, and for those people, the MB, despite being cheaper, may be too much for their needs, both in features and size/weight.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Regardless of what your friends do, they are not representative of the whole population. Not everyone uses their computer to watch DVDs, most people have an MP3 player that they use, cameras use USB or card readers, which can be rectified with a $10 USB hub.

We ordered 60 MBAs, and 40 of them are already tagged with people's names. Despite our disclaimers about what the MBA lacks, most people are willing to forego an internal optical drive and a plethora of ports because they simply don't perceive a need for the constant use of those ports. The MBA is perfect for some people's needs, and for those people, the MB, despite being cheaper, may be too much for their needs, both in features and size/weight.

if you read my post and the ones preceeding it, we are talking about for STUDENTS. i realize you may have a need for it but im talking about student needs ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.