Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleFan2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023
Personally, I don't feel that the 15 Pro Max has enough exclusive features for it to be called an "Ultra".

I feel that the 16 "Ultra" should have these features to set it apart:
- 6.9" MicroLED Display
- 144Hz (ProMotion 2.0?) Refresh Rate
- M3 Chip
- 5000 mAh Battery
- Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C Port
- 12x Periscope Zoom Lens
- 40W Charging + 25W Wireless Charging
- Apple Pencil Support

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleSlices

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Personally, I don't feel that the 15 Pro Max has enough exclusive features for it to be called an "Ultra".

- 6.9" MicroLED Display
- M3 Chip
- 5000 mAh Battery
- Apple Pencil Support

What exactly would I be able to do with an M3 chip that I couldn't do on an A17 or similar? Isn't the whole point of the A-series to provide a complement to the M-series chips that are optimised for small devices without laptop-sized batteries?

Likewise, what would I do with Thunderbolt 4? The 15 Pro's ThunderBolt 3/USB-C port will reportedly support up to 40 Gb/s. The Thunderbolt 4 standard isn't any faster than 3, and has mostly minor additions of interest for desktop computers, like wake-from-sleep support and somewhat expanded multiple display support. So why would I want it on a phone?

Perhaps 120hz vs 144hz is noticeable to someone, somewhere...but game changing?

This seems like craving tech specs for their own sake, rather than because they provide any meaningful benefits.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

- 6.9" MicroLED Display
- M3 Chip
- 5000 mAh Battery
- Apple Pencil Support
The only features I would find interesting are periscope zoom and Pencil support. As far as whether I would pay more for those, I probably would*. By the way, I try not to pay attention to names and whether it’s technically a different product line. Ultimately what matters is what it has and what it costs.

I think it might also get an action button, or is that not just for ultra?

*This is all hypothetical for me. I don’t like big phones so I wouldn’t get one anyway haha. But I’d love periscope in a small phone if that were feasible.

TheAppleFan2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023
I’d love periscope in a small phone if that were feasible.
I don't think Apple will make an iPhone below 6.1" again, considering the Plus has been selling better than the Mini, even though they both were the worst sellers in their respective iPhone Years

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Cinematography exclusive camera sensor and lens module used for filming as per a years old rumor about Apple working on a prototype for this idea. Maybe even an anamorphic lens setup. A rugged design with official submersible rating (the current iPhones can do it but Apple warns against prolonged submersion).

Basically I want to know what Apple would build for a photography/cinematography focused iPhone without the current necessary balancing act of making the chassis and camera bump manageable for everyday use.

Reactions: Poppleropples

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I don't like big phones, so hopefully they will make a regular Pro sized phone with said features...but how about matching the water resistance of the Apple Watch Ultra (100 meters), higher dust/debris resistance, and a much-higher drop-rating.

Basically, much more rugged than the current phones. I currently have to put my phone in a sealed hard plastic clamshell case when I hike, backpack or camp; otherwise, it'll get trashed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAppleFan2004

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
As they got rid of the headphone socket because “users are demanding thinner phones” (apparently) I’d expect it to be ultra thin…..😜

• Sad

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Honestly, folding display is what I expect.

Ultra denotes a new form factor and significantly upgraded specs. If Apple uses "Ultra" on iPhone 15/16, then it feels like another iPhone 8 moment where it's an obvious marketing move to push sales.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007

- 6.9" MicroLED Display
- M3 Chip
- 5000 mAh Battery
- Apple Pencil Support
Is it too much to ask for an "Ultra" caliber phone to do something as advanced as moving icons anywhere someone wants on the screen without boxing them into some insane, unoptimized layout?

I know that's not hardware but this will never not annoy me. In 2023. On what some would call the most "advanced" mobile OS there is.

I vented and feel better. Thank you for indulging me.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Price tag? Without double the price tag anything is not worth ultra moniker: think about Apple Watch. Your wish list should come at 1800-2200 range to be true ultra.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Bigger stats are a given but lets really put Apple to task!

- M-Series processer capable of outputting iPadOS to an external display
- Flush cameras
- Thunderbolt port
- All buttons move to LH-side
- New slightly smaller pencil that docks to RH side dubbed Apple Pen
- Pen compatibility (obs)
- Full Manual camera control
- 240hz gaming sampling
- 80-120mm zoom lens

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
On the way for the 15 Pros.

Why...

Bit overkill, I think 144Hz is the sweet spot for the highest refresh rate for any phone.

Other than that, sounds good
The LH buttons is to allow a smaller Apple Pen to magnetise to one side and charge like the iPad Mini.

The faster sampling isn’t for content display but for touch interactions. It makes a big difference on Android handsets like the ROG devices.

• Sad

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec

- 6.9" MicroLED Display
- M3 Chip
- 5000 mAh Battery
- Apple Pencil Support
You all should wait for the iPhone 25. Nothing valuable will come out until then. It will have all what you want and one little thing of great value: it will have the ability to morph into an Android phone.

• Angry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.