Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
So after returning a crappy boxee that I got my gf for her bday, I took a chance and bought a brand new unopened atv2 off ebay, to which the seller attested it was bought in 11/11.

Now I'm not very familiar with jailbreaking personally, but have witnessed it in all its glory. From my understanding the best firmware versions for atv2 were 4.3 and 4.4.4 maybe some more im not sure, but those seem to be the untethered ones.

Anyway to get on with it... my hope is that this particular atv2 will have the older firmware on it. If so can anyone maybe confirm which it might have if it was purchased in 11/11?

If it is an older firmware, will it automatically update upon fist boot up?

If it is the newest firmware is there a jailbreak for that or way to regress to a latter firmware?

If it is an an older firmware, is it possible to save it to a flash some how?

Thank you for your time and help.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
4.4 was released October 12, followed by quick bump updates on October 17 (4.4.1) and October 25 (4.4.2)

4.4.3 was released Nov 17th and 4.4.4 not until December 15th so it's not going to be that. All I'll guess is 4.4.3 or below, as it depends on where it was bought. Different outlets consider them "old stock" when a new release comes out and send them back, some hold and sell.

shmapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thank you for your replies, so was I wrong to think that the later firmwares functioned better with the jailbreak. I guess I was thinking 4.4.4 was the best because of this website

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/36327-what-version-of-apple-tv-firmware-are-you-using/

but I guess that thread was thread was from January and I didn't realize it.

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial website for jailbreaking the atv2?

Iclarified.com has great tutorials for jailbreaks

Last edited:

shmapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
I'm sorry I didn't ask the question before the bump.... Are the latter formats i.e. 4.3 and 4.4.4 better firmwares to operate the jailbreak on than the new one? I only ask because it seems like people prefer those. Is this true?

shmapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
ok so I went here:

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

but when I went to download seas0npass zip it said is was for OSX version 10.6 or later

I have the latest 10.5.8 version on my macbook and when I go to open the file it says I can't use this version of seas0npass.

Is there not one for the latest version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.