Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I don’t expect the battery to improve much next year. The current camera system is probably all they can do in the current size chassis so they have to increase it slightly for the next camera upgrade. They would probably have to make the phones larger and thicker to get any meaningful battery upgrades.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Like I said it's not the 10% that is disappointing but that there's no significant reduction in battery usage because 3nm was supposed to be more efficient. Instead we now see overheating issues and battery life about the same if not somewhat worse.

Reactions: Wizec

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I don’t expect the battery to improve much next year. The current camera system is probably all they can do in the current size chassis so they have to increase it slightly for the next camera upgrade. They would probably have to make the phones larger and thicker to get any meaningful battery upgrades.

Next years devices are rumoured to be 6.3” and 6.9” so they will be getting bigger not that I want a larger phone lol.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Like I said it's not the 10% that is disappointing but that there's no significant reduction in battery usage because 3nm was supposed to be more efficient. Instead we now see overheating issues and battery life about the same if not somewhat worse.
Definitely agree. My 15 Pro battery life is about 15% worse than my 14 Pro. And the phone does get warm in situations where my 14 Pro would have stayed cool.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The improvement was 10% in performance or 10% in power efficiency. You can’t have both anymore with these nodes.

Apple clocked up the chip by 10% and we see gains of about 10% which means IPC improved. They also added 4 billion more transistors.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Not sure what world you're living in, but roughly 10% is about what we typically see for any new generation of chips. The huge increases from the M1 was a rare event that happens maybe once a decade.

That's only because of the move from intel to apple silicon. Apple silicon has been historically moving up at like 20% a year for the last decade I think if you look at the A line of cpus.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
3nm provides some limited capabilities for enhancement. The actual design would dictate how that enhancement would be utilized. It could be increased performance, new/additional capabilities, reduced power consumption, reduced size, etc.. It is design trade which and how significant the enhancements to be provided. It is a limited resource, you CANNOT enhance everything.

The designers can also choose to incorporate additional enhancements, but at the cost of sacrificing some additional features of the chip. It’s like trying to squeezing a balloon just to have it pops out someplace else. If you improve one thing, then some thing else is going to get worse. This is often a worthwhile trade, especially if the degradation can be offset in another part of the design. For example, the designer might sacrifice power efficiency of the chip if it is known that they’ll be able to use a larger battery in the device.

Most of this complaining that the A17pro does xxx is just a reflection of unrealistic expectations for 3 nm capabilities, without considerations of the practicality of the design process. If you’re really unhappy about XXX then you should be willing to put forward what additional features provided in the A17 Pro would’ve you rather have seen not included. For example, if you REALLY feel that power consumption should have been reduced then you should also include that you would settle for no increase in the number of GPUs, no increase to RAM and RT should not have been added. [Personally, I think that’s a terrible trade for to each his own.]

Reactions: StudioMacs

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
3nm provides some limited capabilities for enhancement. The actual design would dictate how that enhancement would be utilized. It could be increased performance, new/additional capabilities, reduced power consumption, reduced size, etc.. It is design trade which and how significant the enhancements to be provided. It is a limited resource, you CANNOT enhance everything.

The designers can also choose to incorporate additional enhancements, but at the cost of sacrificing some additional features of the chip. It’s like trying to squeezing a balloon just to have it pops out someplace else. If you improve one thing, then some thing else is going to get worse. This is often a worthwhile trade, especially if the degradation can be offset in another part of the design. For example, the designer might sacrifice power efficiency of the chip if it is known that they’ll be able to use a larger battery in the device.

Most of this complaining that the A17pro does xxx is just a reflection of unrealistic expectations for 3 nm capabilities, without considerations of the practicality of the design process. If you’re really unhappy about XXX then you should be willing to put forward what additional features provided in the A17 Pro would’ve you rather have seen not included. For example, if you REALLY feel that power consumption should have been reduced then you should also include that you would settle for no increase in the number of GPUs, no increase to RAM and RT should not have been added. [Personally, I think that’s a terrible trade for to each his own.]

I think I would have taken:
- more battery life
- same igpu performance because who cares
- modest cpu perf ok (+10%)
- more RAM

Got most of it but I would have traded in those gpu cores for more battery life, or more cpu perf. More RAM here is probably better than more cpu performance. I've seen a lot of issues with older iPhones in particular running only 2gb of ram.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
- more battery life
- more RAM

Got most of it but I would have traded in those gpu cores for more battery life, or more cpu perf. More RAM here is probably better than more cpu performance. I've seen a lot of issues with older iPhones in particular running only 2gb of ram.
Well that would not be ideal for the M3 that’s based on the A17 Pro.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I honestly don't know what people were expecting. Every time Apple is rumored to have a new chip people start coming up with wild expectations for what it's going to do. The realty is that year over year there are only going to be marginal improvements from the previous year.

Reactions: Chuckeee

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Not sure what world you're living in, but roughly 10% is about what we typically see for any new generation of chips. The huge increases from the M1 was a rare event that happens maybe once a decade.
And that improvement was limited to the Intel computers. In the iPads who already had Apple's own chips the M1 was a marginal improvement over the previous years iPad.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
- more battery life
- more RAM

If you choose 10% performance, you can’t have more battery life. Those GPU transistors aren’t lit unless gaming so it has no effect on battery life or CPU.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
If you choose 10% performance, you can’t have more battery life. Those GPU transistors aren’t lit unless gaming so it has no effect on battery life or CPU.

Kind of depends on how much you get out of the die shrink. In this case seems like it was just one or the other.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023

I don’t expect they give you a bigger camera sensor in next two years since it is closed to 1 inch already and Apple would not buy very expensive 1 inch sensor from Sony. 3nm all for AAA gaming since that is $49.99 per game it is all about $$$

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
So I wasn't impressed with only a 10% difference between the A16 (5nm) and the new A17 (3nm). But what happened to the battery/ power efficiency that should've come with 3nm? It seems it's barely noticeable and in some cases it's even worse than before?

The best thing to decide the outcome is to test this by yourself by comparing both phones with these chips. I would not rely on anyone’s reviews as I can experience differently from the reviewers.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Here is a direct comparison of the last 3 pro models. Who knows which YouTube video is correct but I can say my 15pro is slightly better than my 13 pro battery wise for everything except phone calls. My phone doesn’t get hot but it does seem like the battery drops faster on calls than it did on my 13pro.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My 15 PM get slightly better battery performance than my 14 PM. My 15 PM only got the slightest bit warm when I put the two together to transfer data. All went perfectly, the process even paired my Ultra 2 to the 15 PM at the same time.

I do not understand how some iPhone 15 units get so hot when others do not.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
This is funny to me. The 15PM is totally fine and the battery is on par or even slightly better than my 14PM.

Regarding speed they are fast enough to 99% of users.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
This is funny to me. The 15PM is totally fine and the battery is on par or even slightly better than my 14PM.

Regarding speed they are fast enough to 99% of users.
Even iPhone 12 is fast enough for 99% users. If they want to add some powerful chipset they should think about better. It's still phone guys. Maybe you can explain 1 or 2h sot battery because it is Pro phone. No it is not. You want to play games..buy Xbox or PS. Camera? Pro use regular cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
We do need to remember that our battery life compared to Android devices destroys them entirely!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
After a few iOS updates and a few months of usage I have to say that the 15 Pro Max has settled into being an amazing battery miser. I charge to 80% limit and end the day at around 40-50%. If I charged to 100% I could easily go two full days without touching the charger. And this is WITH always on display enabled.

So yeah, there were some initial issues but they've been worked out. Very happy with my 15PM and I hope others are having the same experience.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
After a few iOS updates and a few months of usage I have to say that the 15 Pro Max has settled into being an amazing battery miser. I charge to 80% limit and end the day at around 40-50%. If I charged to 100% I could easily go two full days without touching the charger. And this is WITH always on display enabled.

So yeah, there were some initial issues but they've been worked out. Very happy with my 15PM and I hope others are having the same experience.
Agreed, 15 Pro Max battery life has really got better and better, on 17.2.1 it is truly stunning how long this thing can last, easily doing over 8.5hours SOT on mine on some days if I use it enough.

The Camera can be a bit of a battery guzzler if you are doing a lot of high frame rate (60fps) video recording for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.